There's only one fish species left... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: There's only one fish species left...

teflon_jones
03-02-2005, 11:54 AM
It's 2697 and we've decimated the environment and there's only one fish species left on earth to fish for. What would you want it to be?

For me, it's brook trout (though of course these would probably be the first fish to die out).

Smcdermott
03-02-2005, 11:58 AM
If I was living in the North East - Striped Bass

If I had no monetary restrictions and could travel at will - Bonefish.

Sean

Dble Haul
03-02-2005, 02:33 PM
My goodness, what a grim and depressing premise.

I'd have to say whatever is left, hoping for something along the lines of pike, smallmouth, or stripers.

FrenchCreek
03-02-2005, 02:49 PM
The significant increase in pollution and other such factors have combined to cause great mutations in fish. The now are amphibious, with large teeth and have become man's worse predator! Waders are made of Kevlar and flies have micro-explosive charges built into them.

talented_willie
03-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Is this a Star Trek convention?

Moonlight
03-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm sure it will be a Carp but I hope its a Steelhead!!!

striperstripper
03-02-2005, 04:48 PM
If things were really this bad ,I would think fishing would be the last thing on your mind. :Eyecrazy:

Hawkeye
03-02-2005, 05:03 PM
If I'm good and heaven is what I hope it is by that time I'll be fishing for whatever species strikes my fancy each and every day.

QuebecSporting
03-02-2005, 07:03 PM
I would want it to be fishing in a river.... ( whatever species)

I like to walk, explore and disappear for the day...
(don't like to feel stuck in a same spot all day...)

I don't really like fishing out of a boat.... ( especially when it's "Rockin Rollin ! ) :Eyecrazy:

Hopefully at that time we can still make our own lunches and drink red wine..... :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/annsmith/P10104621.jpg
(follow me...I know a secret pool!!) :D

A... :smokin:

DEERHAAWK
03-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Oncorynchus Mykiss.....

As the Citys burn
And the Oceans boil
As I look over my shoulder
On the northward trek

The wild spaces greet me
Trails and Valleys intice me
Rainbows emblazen the sky
And hide in secret pools

With them I will finish my life
With them chasing each cast
Fighting hard to stay alive
Each of us
Brothers till the end......

DH

juro
03-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Since the accelerated mutation from the addition of a fifth season (spring, summer, fall, fallout and nuclear winter) the hybridization of the steelstripesalmonbone has provided a single reason for flyfishers to rejoice amidst the toxic rivers of Metropolis during our avg. 23 year lifespans.

Filmed at 25:00.

Now that's a deep-winter question if I ever heard one! :lildevl:

fcch
03-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Juro,

I guess that would be Brook Trout.

I cheat in my answer as any salmonoid population that has access will develop a certain % of sea runners, so I'd have the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, they'd probably be the first to go :(

Why the square tail, IMHO, it is just the most beautiful freshwater species.

teflon_jones
03-03-2005, 07:38 AM
If things were really this bad ,I would think fishing would be the last thing on your mind. :Eyecrazy:

If things were this bad, fishing would be the ONLY thing on my mind! :D

This thread has given me some pretty good laughs so far this morning (especially FrenchCreek and juro). Thanks!

alan caolo
03-03-2005, 11:39 AM
I dont post often - on any site - however, this is a good hypothetical. Well, 2697 is a long, looooooooong time from now. 692 years to be exact. Though I like Seans response a lot (man after my own heart on that one), lets be honest; well all be over 700 years old, for goodness sakes! Furthermore, in addition to we old fishing souls, there will likely be very, very few species left on land or in the sea. Im banking on rats, mosquitoes, cockroaches, tarpon and carp, everything else will be a bonus (hey were using predictive natural selection (PNS) theory here : ).

With this in mind, Im going with tarpon. Remember, were over 700 years young now (probably look and sound like Yoda, too. Well all age into that same look) and Im going to want a fish that still reminds me whos the boss after seven centuries of fly-rodding bring me right to my creaky little knees, keeping that sense of humbility fresh at 700+.

DEERHAAWK
03-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Juro,
I'd consider a sidetrip if it meant hooking into a Steelstripesalmonbone (Oncorynchus Hackus un Ripus Chuus un Flisus) If for nothing else but some Teeth for my hatband.
I'll be easy to recognize.....the one with the Titanium strand woven 5 wt, Ross "Andromina" series reel with Sonic casting and pattented " MM depth technology" and "Reel to Life" Nano Tech RC flys.

Show me the Soup Strand, nothing is to toxic for Da Hawk!( Or to silly :chuckle: :hihi: :Eyecrazy: :razz: :whoa:

Eddie
03-04-2005, 07:23 AM
My money is on Jelly Fish, though tarpon with their ability to breath air sounds about right.

bd12345678
03-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Hmmm. This is rather amusing and depressing all at the same time. I personnally think that goldfish will be the last to servive, although I'd prefer something closer to massive mutant (fish-stocking-truck-eating) cross, between a pike and an albie. But really, I'd choose somthing along the lines of bass (any species really).

If things were really this bad, I would think fishing would be the last thing on your mind. .

Well, this is a rather silly thing to say, but... I was watching a movie called The Day After Tomorrow. As some might guess, it was about some freak storm that causes another ice age in a matter of days. At some point (around the climax), I looked over at my brother who was riveted to the tv; I'm sure he was having all sorts of meaningful thoughts over this horrible tragity. However, all I could think about was where I'd go fishing! Go figure! I don't think I'd last all too long. :redface:

CATFISH SLAYER
02-28-2006, 05:05 PM
If it has to be one fish, there is no doubt that it will be a flat head catfish, and the only way to catch these beautiful fish is with your bare hand (noodling.) If there is only one fish left, then it should be a fish that is catchable by the only true sportsmen in fishing today...that's right, the noodlers.

flydoc
02-28-2006, 07:02 PM
The toughest fish I have ever seen, and the one that I think would likely survive, is the gar. The thing looks like an armor-plated throwback to the dinosaur age...
Flydoc

Adrian
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
I betting that by then inter-stellar travel will be available to everyone, not just the very wealthy. Just imagine the untapped potential out there:smokin:

So as a follow-up hypothetical question:

You have a seat on the next shuttle flight to recently discovered habitable planetary system on the other side of the galaxy. Rumours abound of vast uncharted wetlands, lakes, rivers and atols in warm tropical oceans. There is evidence of abundand life on land and in the seas but nobody has done any real research. You are limited to one 20kg checked bag and one carry-on that must fit under the seat in front of you.

What will you take? Oh, there are no fly shops out there yet and it's a one-way ticket:lildevl:

griz
02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I'd hope the cutts and rainbows survive but in reality it would be the cockroach of the fish world... the northern snakehead....air breathing and it can squirm off over land to better water.

what a mess...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/07/0702_020702_snakehead.html

alan caolo
03-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Hey Noodle-boy . . . you'd go ahead and shove yer whole head in - if you had one! This is a fly fishing site - for anglers - not mis-guided brownwater yo-yo's who sacrifice body parts while trying to prove their manhood! "True sportsmen"????? What brand of crack do you chew? What backwater county are you from, anyway? My God! If you REALLY had the where-with-all ( where it counts), you'd noodle a 'cuda to prove yourself. Change your Hazard County nickname to "Nubbins" or "Stumpy". Seek help!!

CATFISH SLAYER
03-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Listen you prima-donna, yankee, dress wearin, tea drinking, fairy. I may not have a head (as you so cleverly implied), but I do have a large pair of balls, which apparently you lack. You sit up there with your shiny new fancy reel and expensive rod and "fight" a fish for 30 minutes, and then you sit back and talk about the nobility of your "sport". What you are really doing is hiding behind your fancy talk and your expensive gear so you don't actually give the fish a fair fight. I can yank ten eighty pound catfish out of the water with my bare hands in the time it takes for you to catch one of your pretty shiny fish that weigh half as much. You use flies because you are too scared to touch bait, much less a real fish.

Besides I hear you are just a jumped up striper fisherman who tries to write about tarpum in the Keys....who are you anyway?!:tsk_tsk:

alan caolo
03-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Alright, Noodles, it's Campbell's Soup time for you - the gloves are comin' off!

I happen to know a wee bit about the history of "noodling", which assuredly, you don't ('cause you don't have a head, which you'd remember, if you had one). And, if I may, that was a clever inference - subtle. Legend has it that mamma sent her two boys (for fable's sake, we'll call 'em Bubba-1 and Bubba-2) to the river to fetch up some flathead for supper. So the story goes, Bubba-2 not only touched the bait, he ate the bait, leaving Bubba-1 (now scared to death of facing mamma empty-handed) no choice but to hold his little bro by the ankles and rake the riverbed with him for more bait. While doing this, a huge flathead took hold of Bubba-2 (by the head) and a nasty tug-a-war ensued. Bubba-1 eventually yanked his little bro out of the river, along with the honkin' big flathead, nearly ripping Bubba-1's head off in the process. And so "noodling" was born . . . by accident, which you can relate to, I'm certain.

nmbrowncom
03-01-2006, 07:06 PM
easy does it ladies. this is a family show. i know a little about fly fishing and nothing about noodling. what i do know is that nobody has a monopoly on the truth and nothing is easier than finding fault with things we know little about. i.e. we do it this way here so the way you do it there must be wrong. now children, kiss and make up.

Quentin
03-01-2006, 07:46 PM
easy does it ladies. this is a family show. i know a little about fly fishing and nothing about noodling. what i do know is that nobody has a monopoly on the truth and nothing is easier than finding fault with things we know little about. i.e. we do it this way here so the way you do it there must be wrong. now children, kiss and make up.

I think it's kind of funny that someone enjoys trading insults with himself (or herself) for our amusement :chuckle: . Must be the class clown somewhere!

Q

nmbrowncom
03-02-2006, 02:19 AM
earth calling spaceship quentin....... come in

Guernseybass
03-02-2006, 03:52 AM
yeah but what if the only fish left are Permit ? :(

alan caolo
03-02-2006, 07:33 AM
SLAYER (Cro-Magnon), I catagorically apologize for ranting and raving at you and your sport, and for the un-called-for cheap shots. I guess it all boils down to respect, whether it's politics, religion, philosophy, . . . or sports, doesn't it? Mutual respect. I mean, whoever thought that when noodling and fly-rodding collided that it wouldn't go south in a hurry (in the figurative, of course). Honestly, SLAYER (Cro-Magnon), did you think we'd end up at a picknic table sipping tea spiked with moonshine, chatting about football or something? It's just a matter of respect - no matter where, how, or what you fish for. And you're right, SLAYER (Cro-Magnon), I don't have the balls to go noodling. I suppose if you held a gun to my head I'd jump in and wrestle one out of the mud, but short of that - forget it. Especially in the gator-belt (you guys are wacked out of your heads!). Are we cool (ignore any subliminals that might appear in this post)??

Quentin
03-02-2006, 01:10 PM
earth calling spaceship quentin....... come in

nmbrowncom -- I wasn't referring to you. I was talking about the "spat" between the person posting as alan caolo and CATFISH SLAYER.

Q

Sandman Caranx
03-02-2006, 01:40 PM
I am not an oke for arguments, so while you wressle and roar, I rada go fish and miss the conflict

nmbrowncom
03-03-2006, 04:49 AM
quentin, now i get it. i better shut down my after burners so i don't lose sight of earth.

teflon_jones
03-05-2006, 09:08 AM
So as a follow-up hypothetical question:

You have a seat on the next shuttle flight to recently discovered habitable planetary system on the other side of the galaxy. Rumours abound of vast uncharted wetlands, lakes, rivers and atols in warm tropical oceans. There is evidence of abundand life on land and in the seas but nobody has done any real research. You are limited to one 20kg checked bag and one carry-on that must fit under the seat in front of you.

What will you take? Oh, there are no fly shops out there yet and it's a one-way ticket:lildevl:
4 wt and 8 wt rods, reels, lines, leaders, tippets.
My current fly collections for trout, bass, and saltwater (I've got easily 300-400 flies, no need to buy more!)
Vest, waders, boots, other fishing clothes, and a net.
Float tube and fins.

That'll about do it I think. Though by then "Honey I shrunk the fishing boat" may be a reality so I may be able to fit a 25' center console in my checked bag... :)