Fly Fishing Forum banner

November Bluegills

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
I had a narrow window of opportunity to get some fishing in on Sunday, so I went to a small bass and bluegill pond just a few miles from my apartment. I tooled around in my Hobie Cat and managed to catch some very large 'gills in the deeper water (for this pond, about 5 feet). The water was much colder than I thought it would be (high 40's), so any fly that was moving too fast was ignored. A one half inch strip every couple of seconds seemed to do the trick, and the bites were very subtle. The fly that worked the best was a tiny (size 10) whistler, in the classic red and white colors. An olive heron wet fly also took a few.

This was an interesting experience for me. I had caught warm water fish into October before, but never this late in the season. The weather has been very mild for this time of the year in Connecticut, so I'm thankful for the opportunity to get in a little bit more fishing before seeing ice on the edges of the pond.

Maybe when the pond ices over I can cut a narrow trench to maintain flyfishing access. }>

Mark

#2 ·
I guess I missed this post when it first went up. Last Friday I stopped after work for some casting, and was pleasantly surprised that the sunfish were hitting flies on the surface. A size 12 beetle was the ticket for me. The water was cold though and its time to throw the fishing gloves in the car. Size wasn't that great but I didn't try too hard for the bigger ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.