Dream days [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Dream days

fcch
03-01-2005, 11:48 AM
(Sorry for the typo in the poll question) :o

As we're getting hit by another storm and cabin fever is reaching the 104 degree mark, how about some dreams. (I know there are many of you fishing, year round, just bear with us poor souls how have to shovel a path to get to the tying stuff in the garage) ;)

Dream days, ... What is your "perfect" day. Is it a dream day on your home waters, a nice day on new waters or any day on exotic/famous waters ??

Mine would be on my home waters (as I'm not an adventerous type). Settle into the bench on #24, spot a nice Salmo salar lazing behind the rocks. My girlfriend lays out a nice moderate sized streamer and BOOM, she connects. That's my dream day.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/Journal/Journal_files/d24.jpg

How about you ??

QuebecSporting
03-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi Sir,
Here too in Gaspé....... Snow Snow!!

Hmmmmm?? I would swing a big, fat sloppy looking No 2 white Muddler over that pool!!

:smile:
Thanks I needed that, now I feel better!!

A... :smokin:

Dble Haul
03-01-2005, 01:48 PM
In general, any day on the water for me is a dream day.

No exaggeration. :smokin:

fcch
03-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Ann,

Ah , ... genius's think alike ... Renée was swinging a White Rabbit strip muddler at a pod of bruisers.

We were rotating, between 30 minute breaks. I was trying smaller (#12) low water stuff, ... nothing moved. and that in mid August in low water!!!

Renée came very close to connecting with her very first Salmon. Just missed a tad on the swing speed (IMO).

Guess where we're going to be on St-Jean B holiday ??

Brian Simonseth
03-01-2005, 03:57 PM
In general, any day on the water for me is a dream day

Me too! :D

Nooksack Mac
03-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Like most of us, I suspect, I love to fish famous and/or pristine waters in distant, storied lands. And I'd do a lot more of it, if I could afford to. Despite a lack of familiarity with affluence, I've managed to fish for trout and salmonoids from Virginia to Scotland to southern Oregon to northern British Columbia.

Nevertheless, my choice was for a great day on a local water. First, it's a validation of my choice of residence, which was heavily influenced by angling opportunities. A lot of angling is done in the mind, and when circumstances keep me city-bound, it's nice to think that I'm just 90 minutes from the Skagit or the North Stilly, or a few hours from the lakes of the Okanogan interior. Secondly, a great day on a local water is the more pleasant for the realization that I may duplicate it next week or next year. If I had a perfect day in Patagonia, it would be made bittersweet by the knowledge that I could never do it again.

teflon_jones
03-02-2005, 07:51 AM
There's just something about being on my old familiar fishing waters that really makes me feel great. The nostalgic feeling it gives me is second to none. :)

Shaq
03-02-2005, 08:17 AM
any day on open water would be a dream right now, in fact I WAS dreaming of a day on the water last night....and the night before....and the night before

teflon_jones
03-02-2005, 11:39 AM
any day on open water would be a dream right now, in fact I WAS dreaming of a day on the water last night....and the night before....and the night before
I had a weird fishing dream the other night. I was fly fishing and caught what looked like an 8" koi (huh?), and when I took it out of the water to unhook it, it turned out to be a rat with a fish tail and it tried to bite me! (double huh?) I don't know exactly what it means except that I need to go fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!

OC
03-02-2005, 12:27 PM
For me it is far away destinations. Myself and new family will be leaving in the next 2 to3 years on a round the world sail for 3 to 4 years. My day dreaming is in full gear of fishing flats that have rarely or never been fished in the out reaches of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. I have a vivid image of taking our sloop through a deep cut in desolate reef, finding good anchorage and setting out in the tender to sand flats for miles on end. I was lucky to do a lot of this in the early 70's and I want to go back for more. This time though I will be fully ready as we know more what lurks on flats throughout the warm water world. Also of towing a heavy hand line with surgical tube disk brake and a medium sized skirt on a broad reach at 8 knots and a following sea for Mahi Mahi. What better dinner than fresh fish 7 days or more from any land destination. My biggest hope through it all is that I will still be able to combine the fishing with a little surfing. Nothing big and hollow anymore just nice head high and perfectly clear, warm water reefs few if any have ever surfed before.

Now that we have made the commitment every day has become fun again, even work seems fun to do but the day dreaming of things to come is awsome!

Skilly
03-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I will take any day or even just the last three on the Cow :) I would go hide in a snow bank, but somehow Southern Cal sent their weather up to us. So I will just hide in the bushes.

Skilly