FL. Clear Water, Sand Key QUE [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: FL. Clear Water, Sand Key QUE

SteelBoneguy
02-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I am heading down to Florida Tampa Bay, Clearwater area staying on Sand Key. Will be there at the end of April. For a short vacation trip. As with all my trips will be bringing my fly gear. The only problem I have never been to this area before. I don't know what fish will be around. I would like to hire a guide for a day and would like to fish flats, mangroves, or bays for cudas, jacks, redfish,S. trout, snook, they are all on the list. I need help with: A good reputable guide. Places I could fish by myself as I will only have a guide for one day. What flies to tye. And feel free to add anything else I may have forgot. Thanks Steelboneguy.

mdbones
03-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I would highly recomend Capt Cliff Martin - He is a former Keys guide that grew up in the Tampa area and owns a fly shop as well. That time of year it would be worth it to do one of two things with Cliff:
1. Fish the area about an hour South of St. Pete around Boca. the water is clear and the Reds and snook will be all over that area.
2. Fish the docks at night for Snook under the lights.

You are still a wee bit early for the Snook to Migrate out to the beaches but you might find a couple hanging around the Jetty that sticks out from Sand Key on Clearwater pass (walking distance from where you are at).

hFor DIY - Fort desoto is a great optio/n that offers plenty
of trout and reds tat time of year as well.

Fly's to tie include - white / chart, white / green, or white gray clousers with lead eyes work. White neer hair decievers and combos of white and green.

Mike Cutcliff

World Class Outfitters
13911 N. Dale Mabry, Suite 107 Tampa, Florida 33618 Number: 813-968-3736 Tampa Bay Fly Fishing Guide
URL:www.worldclassoutfitters.com

Adrian
03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi Mike

Good to see you back here!

Have you started a commercial operation?

As you will recall, we rely heavilly on our sponsors to keep the site alive and kicking and maintain a policy of only allowing paid sponsor promotion on the various boards.

My apologies if you have already spoken with Juro about this.

Adrian

mdbones
03-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Adrian,

No commercial operation here My day job provides more than I can handle as it is! Thats the name of the the guides shop (Capt. Cliff Martin) in Tampa who I was was recommending for the Bay area. Did not know that I could not recommend guides. Sorry if I broke the rule - was not aware of it.

Mike

Capt. Mel Simpson
03-03-2005, 08:07 PM
SteelBoneguy,

Check your private message.

Mel