To drag or not to drag [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: To drag or not to drag

Johnnyb
02-27-2005, 11:39 AM
I just "won" a reel on Ebay - a Lamson 2. The photo was poor and the description was not a good one. And apparently I did not ask all the right questions, because what I got was not what I expected. That is, from my internet research, all I could find that was related was info regarding LP2, which appears to me to be a high-quality, fully functioning reel. This Lamson 2 - MY Lamson 2 - has no drag. It has a click-and-pawl type winder, but no adjustment whatsoever. Otherwise, it is a very nice little reel - well made and in great condition.

So the question is regarding the utility of a reel like this for general trout fishing. Personally, I haul many more fish in by stripping the line in by hand (maybe that's just a commentary of the type and size of the fish I target), so the absence of a drag would not necessarily be detrimental. But it certainly could become a liability rather quickly if I did come across a compelling need - like a big fish for a change!

I am interested in knowing the thoughts of those of you who may have either made a conscious decision to fish with dragless reels, or have evidence that it is foolhardy.

The other question I have is: with even the cheapest reels on the market having serviceable drags, why would Lamson turn out a dragless reel in the first place? There has got to be a perfectly good reason, but I can't figure it out.

juro
02-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Click pawl reels have a big following in Spey and trout circles, although it seems to be fairly polarized one way or the other. I recall LP's with click pawls out there, size #2 would make it a nice little trout reel and very lightweight.

Not sure how much you paid for it but if you absolutely hate it send me a PM and I might take it off your hands. :)

teflon_jones
02-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I've never used any sort of drag (click pawl or otherwise) for a freshwater fish in my 17 years of flyfishing. I strip fish in exclusively.