Line advice for Cape Cod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Line advice for Cape Cod

Goose-ukswff
02-27-2005, 03:00 AM
Hi everyone
This is the first time I have posted here. I am one of the group from the UK who are coming over to Cape Cod in June, and I canít wait.

I am after some advice on what fly lines to bring. The bulk of the fishing will be on the flats sight fishing. This will be a first for me. I know that after reading posts here and on a few other sites that the first line to consider is a clear intermediate, so which line would you recommend? Should I be looking at a saltwater line with a short 30í head or a standard 40í+ head? In my home waters I tend to use an intermediate sink tip more that a full intermediate line.
Has anyone tried the new Cortland Precision lines with the Rocket Tapper 2 head?

Iím ok for a sinking line but was wondering on a floating line and what colour to use.

So much to do and so little time.

Goose

Paxton
02-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Welcome Goose to the site. You will definitely have a great experience in June.
I'm sure that others will write with their preferences, I'll just share mine. For the flats, I'd recommend either a clear tip or full clear intermedite line, with a sink rate of approx. 1 1/2 inches /sec.. As the water is cold, I'd also recommend that it be a "cold water" line. I use and like 9wt. Airflo Striper/Cold Salt...full clear, little to no memory (thus no coils and tangles in the basket), casts very well. Other's I know also use Rio and Teeny brands with satisfaction. Regarding a floating line...most never need or use them. Remember......planning and dreaming is only half the fun :)
Ron

clouser UK
02-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Hi Malcomhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/042.giffancy meeting you here!

I expect you'll get better/more informed advice from the members here, but i use a Rio Striped Bass clear intermediate for my 8# and i like it :). Check out the Rio site http://www.rioproducts.com/index.asp

Your more than welcome to try it if you wan't, i going to get one for the 10# as well.

It's the sinkers i'm worrying over :( but as i like Rio i'll probably get the Striped Bass 26'DC line, Scot at Bearsden sells them (one of the site sponsers)his prices are good, just got to decide on the weight :rolleyes:

I shall watch this thread with interest!

Dave :wink:

teflon_jones
02-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Cortland 555 Little Tunny line would be my choice if I only had one line to use.

FishHawk
02-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Goose I second the AirFlo line . Looking forward to seeing you guys on the Flats.
FishHawk :smokin:

SageBoy
02-27-2005, 11:13 AM
I have had great success with the Rio Striper line as far as a full Intermediate line.

For a grain line the Rio 26'DC in a 250 should cover most situations on the flats side. If you heading to the surf side or are fortunate enough to catch a ride on a boat for the day then a 350 or even higher would be better.

Most of the areas I fish on foot a 250 is more then enough...But that's just my opinion. :wink:

juro
02-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Lots of good advice so far.

For flats and estuaries:

If you had to have one line... clear intermediate for cold water in a 9wt. Lots of good brands as named above, I use Rio and Airflo.

For a second line choose a fast sinking line with an intermediate running line and color change. 250gr for most 8wt rods and 325-350gr for most 9wt rods. The Rio striper DC is the most durable workhorse line for this purpose in my experiences in fact I have an original prototype pre-release that is still tough enough to fish after several years.

For a third, a good floating line with a cold water finish and saltwater taper would make popper and flatwing fishing a pleasure.

For two-handers and surf:

Variety is not a problem as I primarily use shooting heads. My favorite running lines include the Rio Slickshooter 50# and the new Airflo 40+ SW intermediate running line. Others are nice but in fishing situations these two excel.

Heads are available from Rio, Airflo, SA, etc -or- you can design your own. As Simon G. says 38ft is about the ideal length for two-handed fishing in surf. After much experimentation I found that he is spot-on.

In surf, I would choose a fast sinking line as the 'one line' because of the rough and tumble conditions and presence of fast rips and wind. Floating wind taper second (I like BIG poppers) and the clear intermediate third choice.

Why? In the rough and tumble conditions where two-handers excel (surf, rips, wind, etc) a sinking line is usually not a deterrent to getting the fish to eat. It helps cast and bite into the waves, or hold the fly down in a ripping tide current. Thus it's #1. A Floater is different enough so that you can fish poppers and swing/mend flies where the sinker can not. An intermediate is a nuisance in these line weights (11-12wt) with poppers because it pulls them down; yet it does not get down enough in riptides or big waves. Therefore the floater is more differentiated from the sinker in surf conditions.

Summary:

If you are fishing flats and surf, the two lines to have are still clear int. and sinking w. intermediate line. If you want to fish poppers and surface stuff, also include a wind taper floating head line.

Single hand - go with clear int and sinking/int running w/ floating as an optional extra. Two-hand surf go with sinking head / int running and a floater w/ clear int extra.

.02, your results may vary

jamie
02-28-2005, 05:02 AM
Malcolm, I favour the 444SL clear intermediate, this is my workhorse line for most of my fishing. Even used this in Florida last week. For a floater I like the SA Saltwater or Striper lines. I tend to use airflo sinkers.

All my 'heads' are Rio with a Rio running line rated 50lbs.

Hope this helps.

Goose-ukswff
03-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all your advice and input guys. Now comes the hard bit where I have to shell out the $$$ :chuckle:

Hope to meet some of you in June.

Malcolm