Flyline sticks to rod? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flyline sticks to rod?

Limpe
02-26-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm having some small problems...
On a #5 weight rod (Sage DS-2) the flyline tends to stick to the blank with the back-cast.
Especially with a wet flyline (while practicing on grass with a relative dry flyline this problem doesn't occur) the line tends to stick to the blank, with, lets say 14 meters of flyline out of the top-eye.
Using a small dryfly and a 9 ft leader.

I took another #5 weight with the same line that i thougt was the reason for my problem, problem solved.
So i did some investigation, the rods are both #5 weights, 9 Feet i tried several different lines but with my rod this problem is concistently there....

I blaim the spacing (or setting ..) from the upper 4 guides (counted from the top-eye, i do not count the top-eye) for this problem, on my rod, when you bend the rod like it bends on the back-cast ( while holding the flyline) you can see that the line hits the blank.
All the other rods i tried to find out what this problem was do have a different guide setting..let's say...a good setting that prevents the line from hitting ( or making contact with) the blank.

I am a little surprised, cuz my rod is from a worldfamous brand, most of the cheaper rods have a better spacing for the guides...well, better? At least i do not have this problem with the "other" rods...Maybe my specific rod is known for having this problem?
Do i make any sense? :confused:
Does anybody has the same expierence? :confused:

Greetings !

FKrow
02-26-2005, 03:19 PM
I suggest cleaning the fly line and apply line dressing.

Clean the rod with warm water and soap, including the guides, apply silicone or wax to the blank.

I believe your problem will go away.

Regards,
Fred Krow

Limpe
02-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Okay ....but line dressing and wax on a blank doesn't re-space my flyline guides...

I can cast with any of my other flyrods without experiencing this problem...so i still blaim the setting of the guides...

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Grtz.Limpe

rogerstg
02-28-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm having some small problems...

I blaim the spacing (or setting ..) from the upper 4 guides (counted from the top-eye, i do not count the top-eye) for this problem, on my rod, when you bend the rod like it bends on the back-cast ( while holding the flyline) you can see that the line hits the blank.
All the other rods i tried to find out what this problem was do have a different guide setting..let's say...a good setting that prevents the line from hitting ( or making contact with) the blank.

Every fly rod I've ever owned with snake guides does this, so I doubt it's the guide spacing. It's likely that it's either your casting, or the rod is mislabeled and actually a heavier weight. (Assuming there is nothing sticky on your stick)