Mosquito Lagoon in May? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mosquito Lagoon in May?

BigDave
02-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have experience fishing Mosquito Lagoon in May? I will be in Orlando and understand it's a pretty short drive to the coast. Wondering what the prospects are that time of year and if there are DIY opportunities or if it's best to hire a guide.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

jamie
02-25-2005, 05:30 AM
Big Dave,

I have just got back from fishing there a few days ago.

It is a beautiful spot and there are lots of big reds there. Drive time from Orlando is just short of an hour depending on traffic. I was staying on the west side near Clearwater, but picked up a friend from Orlando on the two trips to Mosquito Lagoon. The locals and the guides I spoke to all said that whilst the reds are catching now they really become good in April and May when they start tailing.

On my first trip there I went unguided and remained mobile by use of the car and yomping. I stayed pretty much around Gator Creek and some of the locals said that the reds get quite big here when they are biting. Needless to say they were not playing.

Next day I went out with a guide my friend in Orlando had sourced from the Bass Pro shop. The guide was only $150 and worked hard all day getting us onto numerous reds, he really knew his spots and had a well kitted out boat. If you want his details send me a pm and I will give them to you.

One of the guys I met up with from Tennessee was fishing the lagoon from a Yak and had some fish.

Hope this helps,

Jamie

BigDave
02-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks!

Yes if you could send along any info about guides and/or cheap lodging in that area that would be great. PM me if you prefer!

What kind of outfits were you using? 8/9wt?

Dave

jamie
02-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Dave,
I was using an eight weight although with the wind a nine might have been more advantageous, the guide had the same rod as me in a nine which he loans to customers. Cannot help you with lodgings I’m afraid as I was staying at an inexpensive family hotel on the opposite coast and making the 3 hour drive over and then back. My friend was staying in one of the “resort” hotels in Orlando; I just kidnapped him so he could go fishing whilst his family did the parks. I am sure there are a number of places in and around Titusville which might be found using Google.

I’ll pm you with the details of the guide.