First Rod -G Loomis [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First Rod -G Loomis

webbstock
02-22-2005, 11:07 PM
I am thinking about starting fly fishing and was considering purchasing a G.Loomis GL2 for my first rod. I will mainly be fishing warm water (pond bass and sunfish) with the occassion (once a year) western trout trip. For the price is the GL2 a good rod to start with? Are there better rods for a beginner in the same price class. I'm looking for a rod that will last me a while.

Thanks

zugbugz
02-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Webbstock, the GL-2 is a fine rod and a great place to start and a fine rod to learn on (somewhat fast action but with a softer tip)...of course, there are MANY others! I would recommend you cast it before buying to make sure you like the way it handles...and to decide whether you like it enough to "keep it a while." If you feel natural casting it (after getting it a few tries to get used to it) it will most likely be a "keeper." But the GL-2 is a great place to start and a great bargain..a few other fine rods in or near its class:

St. Croix Avid Series
Winston Ibis
Fenwick HMX
Fenwick HMG
TFO Series One
TFO Professional
Redington Wayfarer
Orvis Clearwater
Orvis Streamline
Sage Launch
Sage FLi
G. Loomis GL-3

Zugbugz - Arizona :cool:

DEERHAAWK
02-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Good evening,
Here are two more choices;

St Croix Avid series / Premium High Modulus Graphite Blank (SC III)
9' 5wt 2pc............................................... ..........................$190.00
( Ihave this rod, great performer in a wide range of conditions)

Temple Fork Outfiters "Lefty Kreh TiCr Signature Series" / No Blank Description
9' 5wt 4pc / Travel set-up................................................ .$199.00
(I have heard nothing but good reviews on this rod, but have not fished one myself)

PM me if you want more info
Deerhawk

DEERHAAWK
02-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Webbstock
See, the Zug and I are on the same page, we think you can do a bit better than the G2, even though it's a good rod to start with. And I concur, go to your local shop and try out a bunch on a saturday. Good way to narrow it down.....for free!
Deerhawk

Slinger
02-23-2005, 01:34 AM
Perhaps you should opt for an 8 wt., cause we all know everyhings BIGGER in Texas! Couldn`t help myself.
Slinger

teflon_jones
02-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Brands aside, I'd get a 6 wt rod. If you're going to travel with it, then I'd get a 3 or 4 piece so you can carry it on the plane. I'm a big fan of St Croix products, so my recommendation would be this:
Model / Length / Line weight / Pieces / Action / Rod weight / Price
AFT906 / 9' / 6 / 4 / Mod. Fast / 3.75 / $210.00

I've also heard a lot of good things about the Redington Wayfarer. Your best bet though is to go to your local fly shop and try out a bunch of rods until you find one you like.

Eddie
02-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Where in texas are you? I thinkl that everyones advice is spot on. Hopefully you have a local shop that has a couple of these rods for you to try. Any of them would be a great place to start. Another thing to consider is warrenty, and I suspect that they are all a little different.

webbstock
02-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. I will go try some out, but I wanted to get some opinions so I have an idea what to look for and don't get talked into something I don't want or need.

As for where in Texas, I am San Antonio for about 4 more months.

T&TMan
02-27-2005, 04:42 PM
I think for the money & for the purpose Scott V2 is unbeatable......in my opinion.

Mulepadre
02-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Webbstock,

I flyfished Texas for a number of years, but mostly Saltwater where I used an 8wt.
and this was needed for the size of the fish (redfish to 20lbs), flies and corresponding line wt. I was casting. But these are generally heavier and more tiring to cast, hence more difficult for beginners to learn with.

If you want a rod size in something that could still cast a streamer fly or popper for a big bass then I recommend you step down to a 7wt. which will still give you good strength even for most redfish, specs and flounder if you go to the salt. As well the strength you need to cast in the winds, but will be lighter and easier to cast.

But usually beginners start with a 6wt rod as this is THE UNIVERSAL best and most popular weight in fly rods. This weight is a nice compromise between a heavy 8 wt. rod and the lightest rods in 4 or 5wt, for panfish. It will be the easiest for you to learn to cast with and will not limit you too much in what you can handle. A 5 to 6lb. bass will just take a bit more time to tire out and the lighter rod will be easier and more fun to learn to cast with.

So IMO if you get at least a "progressive to fast action" 6wt. you should still have enough weight to cast bigger bass flies medium distances (which have more air resisitance and hence need more force or line weight to cast) and most importantly you will have the perfect rod for panfish and smallmouth.