Using Milage Points to the Bahamas [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Using Milage Points to the Bahamas

traveller2926
02-21-2005, 05:48 PM
This is my first post. This is a great site. I am planning my first trip to the Bahamas for Bones - hopefully April or May of 2006. I have a number of available frequent flier miles / points. Anyone have any experience on using points to go bonefishing. Thanks in advance. Traveller

daverob
02-21-2005, 07:56 PM
American airlines flies directly into Exuma, the Bahamas. You can get there through Miami airport, American airlines also from many points in the USA. There is terrific bonefishing, some permit and tarpon in Exuma. You can take a guide or fish on your own in Exuma. There are many accessible flats that you can walk with ease. To get to them all you have to do is rent a car, about $240 for six days. You can rent a car the airport or at Sam Gray's in the town of Georgetown. Guaranteed you'll catch a bone.

daverob
02-21-2005, 07:58 PM
If you go, stay at the Peace and Plenty beach resort. It's close to town, ,good food, a couple of bars and great people right near the resort.

Adrian
02-21-2005, 09:06 PM
American miles are good for most flights but I have never been able to get the Miami/Georgetown leg included.

Dave17
02-22-2005, 05:27 PM
I use FF miles all the time for various flights. The programs vary from airline to airline but they are pretty much the same. The flight will usually be about 35000 miles but you'll have to book it way, way, way in advance. With this type of reward ticket you won't have much flexibility as to when you can fly in and out and the airlines have a amazing knack for blacking out days and times that you'll need in order to make the trip work.

A more likely scenario is using double miles (if you have enough). For 70000 miles you name the time, day, place, etc and as long as there is a seat available on the flight you want, it's yours. You won't have to book as far in advance, which is key when you're coordinating lodge availability and all the other variables that go into planning a successful trip.

My .02, go with spending more miles and get the added flexibility. If that doesn't work buy the ticket outright. What you'll save in airfare by using 35000 miles, you usually give back in other costs, when the airline limits your options.

One last thing, credit card FF programs are much more flexible (don't know which you were planning on using) and shouldn't be too hard to use.

Best of luck,
Dave