Leader Construction (Flats) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Leader Construction (Flats)

Paxton
02-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Good Evening,
Been researching leader construction tips and formulas on the web for the last hour............confusing to say the least!
There seem to be 2 major theories on what is best for 9 to 10 ft long leaders:
1. 60% butt section...20% mid section...20% tippet;
2. the 3-2-1 theory.........3 ft of butt, 2 mid sections...one2 ft long, the other 1 ft long...........then tippet
(tapering down approx. 10lb per section
Complicating the above........3 theories on how the butt section is connected to the fly line:
1. loop to loop;
2. direct connection of butt (1 ft long) to fly line with nail or albright knot (for mono core lines), then looped;
3. same as 2, but the butt section should be 3 ft long.

Add that all say that the butt section should have the same diameter of the fly line.

So.........what is the preference of my fellow FF's for flats fishing??? Obviously I desire good fly turnover and good transfer of power from the fly line to the leader.

As you can see, I'm anticipating the snow storm tomorrow and planning to participate in some "leader"ship activities. :)

Will welcome all the advice I can get.
Thanks,
Ron

SageBoy
02-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Here is a setup to think about that I use. It's pretty simple. It's a 3 piece leader. 3' of 33lb Rio hard mono nail knotted to your fly line. From the 33lb I attach another 3' piece of 22lb Rio hard mono bye either using a blood knot or surgeons knott. At the other end of the 22lb hard mono I loop to loop a 3' piece of either 20lb or 16lb Flourocarbon.

It's 3 seperate 3ft sections.

teflon_jones
02-20-2005, 09:47 PM
I can't help you out with the construction question. I'm a big fan of tapered leaders and that's all I fish! :)

As for attaching it to the line, I like to use something like a snell knot. I have no idea what the correct name of it is! :)

FredA
02-21-2005, 08:00 AM
First year or two I did this stuff would frett over the leader, don't think about it as much anymore. I use the 33# Rio hard stuff looped to a 20 or 16# flouro tippit. Sometimes for flats I'll taper down the butt to 24# hard stuff. Loops for fly line and tippet connections. Usually I bimini the tippet to make the loop (don't ask me why, I'm just comfortable with it) then taper down the tippet, if needed, using Orvis knots. On the fly line to butt transition you want the two lines to have about the same flexural characterisitics.

There's a lot of good stuff on this topic in the loops and lines forum from early on.

Paxton
02-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks Guys,
Fred I looked up leader construction on this site previously, didn't find anything....will look up again under tippet, connections etc. Thanks for the input. The past 3 years I've used a looped connection to the fly line, then a loop for the tippet section. Used an all flouro butt section as well as tippet. It has worked fine, just was curious to see what others weere using and IF there was a better way and what the rational was.
Ron

FredA
02-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Ron, search on "leaders".

Paxton
02-21-2005, 08:56 AM
found it Fred :)