New Addition to the FFF Flotilla... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Addition to the FFF Flotilla...

Smcdermott
02-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Well, as some of you know I went from looking at new kayaks at the boat show in RI to looking at boats. My wife gave me the thumbs up after a generous return from Uncle Sam and I was off to the races over the past few weeks in order to try and take advantage of some of the "Boat Show Specials!" The deal is still pending a favorable sea trial but I am guessing I am going to like the ride. With that said, here is the final decision...

2004 Jones Brothers 2000 Cape Fisherman Sport with the Light Tackle package.
Powered with a Yahama F150.

http://www.jonesbrothersmarine.com/assets/capef13.jpg

I would like to thank the following for rides in the past as well as their advice during the decision process. You all have certainly earned a ride on the Avril Marie (my wife and sisters middle names.)

My wife! (Got to put her first after this purchase :) )
Slinger
Porkslice
Mike Mayo
Capt. Ray
Brian Casey
Capt. Keith

Looking forward to the season and the expanded horizons this purchase will bring.

Sean

Eddie
02-20-2005, 02:22 PM
nice ride. I spent a week on one in october. it handled the large swells off montauk with confidence.

doogue
02-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Looks great Sean.

Enjoy!

Slinger
02-20-2005, 02:52 PM
let`s see, in the last year and a half. A new bride, new house, new truck and now a new boat. Does the treasuary dept know about your secret press? The fishey`s are gonna be in serious trouble now!
Slinger

Roop
02-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Congrats!

It's a whole new game now, enjoy!

Dble Haul
02-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Great boat Sean. Enjoy! :)

Adrian
02-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Congratulations Sean!

bonefishmon
02-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Excellent choice Sean! Will it have a pole and platform? You'll have a blast at Sandy Point this summer. Right around the corner from Napatree. Salt ponds, worm hatches, Race Rock, Watch Hill Passage-----Monomoy! Way too many choices now!

Phil

FredA
02-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Congrats Sean. I have to say, you are living right. Wish I could figure it out.

Smcdermott
02-22-2005, 10:37 AM
No poling platform. I don't think there is anyway you could pole a boat this big. The casting deck on the front of the bow will get used and I intend to post up on some deep water offshore flats as well as jump out and wade when possible. Needless to say I am looking forward to an enhanced hardtail season as well as fall run opportunities. Certainly look out for some "Anyone want to go for a boat ride posts" as I certainly want to keep that good karma going.

Sean

BigDave
02-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Sweet ride.

Congratulations!

Rip Ryder
02-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Check with your dealer. There are two JB in the Chatham area with Poling platforms over the motors. Granted if it is blowing 20 or more you won't be pushing that puppy around, but on a good day you could do it. Plus, with the right pole you should get through a good day of fishing with out to much after burn in the shoulders and arms.

I have poled my 25 Parker in the crib years ago, when I had time to fish.

Capt Keith

Nick
02-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Sean,

Sweet Ride! Very nice. Not a bad upgrade from the yak idea. Did you get lazy and decide a few extra ponies was better than using a paddle???

Smcdermott
02-22-2005, 01:26 PM
The poling platform is definitely an option for the boat After talking with a few guides though they said they really only use it to post up not effectively pole and that it was a better option with the rear casting deck that I didn't want. I figure that is something I can add later just as easily as now if I think I will use it.

Nick,

I did use the kayak extensively last year but only as a device to get from a to b. The boat was always in the long term plan it just came a little sooner than I thought it would. We will certainly have to try and get together and outperform our initial Albie outing!

Sean

Hawkeye
02-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Sweet Sean! Congrats and welcome to the hole in the water club!

juro
02-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Sean -

Congrats... nice ride! Big season ahead for someone I see http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/images/icons/icon14.gif

Nick
02-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Sean, sounds great. I'm sure we can beat a big fat skunking !

FishHawk
02-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Congrats on the new shuttle for the BoneClave :lildevl: .
FishHawk

JimW
02-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Did someone say BONECLAVE? Be careful with that word, I have been rendered useless for the rest of the day now.

Smcdermott
02-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Jim,

Have you made the reservations in the past? As we discussed last night I would be all for pushing it back a few weeks to get more into the fat albert season. Seems the past two years we have been there pretty early and as far as I can tell with the weather lately things may run late again this year.

Sean

bcasey
03-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Sean,
That's the BEST choice you could have made, IMO! I have a friend with a Jones Bros. He loves it! Congrats! ;)

Lefty
03-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey Sean,
Didn't I give you a lift from Washburn I. over to the jetty once in the Irish green tin can? :D

Lefty

Striper
03-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Sean,
You are never going to be the same :). You believe me will be in heaven the first time on the water with that baby. I will never forget the first launch with my new rig, I don't think I got too much fishing done that day, just way too excited to even think about fishing. That will wear off pretty quick though, enjoy it while it lasts, after the honeymoon comes the bills which will never end :(. Just take it slow and easy while in the learning process and you will be fine, if there is any question err on the side of safety and caution instead of bravado. I think I would have gotten the rear casting deck, that is the one thing I don't have that I wish I did have. The poling platform would have worked but it is not a necessity. Great boats and you could have done much worse for sure. Enjoy buddy although I know I don't have to say that :).

Capt. Mike

teflon_jones
03-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Sean, congrats on the new boat! I'm very jealous. I'll be happy to help you break her in! :D

Smcdermott
03-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the words of advice. She gets delivered this Saturday so I am praying for nice weather. I figure I will spend the first couple of hours breaking in the motor per the manual and then find a can somewhere out of the way where I can practice my docking manuevers. Last thing I want to do is ding her on the way in. I did go ahead and have them put guide ons on the trailer to help me especially when making solo runs. I am surprised to hear you would want the rear casting deck. In making my decision one of the things I thought about was our trip. I felt that having the knee level freeboard would be very worthwhile when the tunoids show up in the rips. Tell me about the bills. I think I spent just under $1K this past week alone between registration and towing additions to my truck. It all seems worth it though.

Sean

bonefishmon
03-31-2005, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=Smcdermott]Mike,

Thanks for the words of advice. She gets delivered this Saturday so I am praying for nice weather. I figure I will spend the first couple of hours breaking in the motor per the manual and then find a can somewhere out of the way where I can practice my docking manuevers.

bonefishmon
03-31-2005, 08:14 AM
Sean. Please feel free to come over and practice at my dock! Lot's of room at the dock and the house if you feel so inclined. LOL! Sandy Point, Race Rock Light, Napatree Point,Watch Hill Reef, Sugar Reefand Fishers Island are all close by!

Phil

Striper
04-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey Phil,
Where exactly are you located??? It says Mystic River, are you roght on the river??? Have a dock on the river??? Man that is sweet. I have been fishin them thar waters for quite a few years, would love to hookup sometime and maybe throw a line. Also would like to find some spots around there where I can catch some shad for use during monster hunting:). I know Mystic has a pretty good population of shad through the summer like Niantic and I would like to get away from some of that craziness. Plus the shad will live longer the closer you are to the holes you want to target. I have some ideas for bait and switch this year to try and land one of those really big fish on the fly.

Capt. Mike