alternate spey hackles [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: alternate spey hackles

sean
02-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Think I lost intruder fever but have been looking to the more radical feathers like rhea to hackle my speys and dees. These bigger hackles give the fly more bulk and I think you can get big fly presense but maintain that traditional look.

Here is what I am calling a pink turkey using amherst pheasant. Head is a little bigger than it needs to be as I had put a hackle tip wing on it but it just did not look right. Ripped it off and used turkey instead.

In the future I will use a better contrasting collar and less pheasant but I like the looks of this. Will see how it fishes tomorrow...

Salty Dawg
02-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Sean, great looking fly. I am using more Lady Amhearst tail and I really like the effect. Let us know how it works. Thanks for sharing.

BLACK FRANCIS
02-16-2005, 08:48 PM
sean, you should try burning that pheasant to remove the web and i think it will be more like what you are after. the length and stem on that pheasant are great but the web makes it bulk together. the burned stuff is sparser and gives a more traditional look. this fly has burned rooster tail for the hackle, which is nice because you get a long thin stem length. the fibers are only long enough for #3 maybe, that's a 1.5" tube.

papenfus
02-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Great looking flies Sean & Black Francis. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get ahold of rhea or lady amhearst. I checked a few of the sponsors' sites but haven't located any yet.
thanks for any leads.
mike

sean
02-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Nice fly!

Yeah burning works but i never have liked the slight color change that usually happens. Before fishing just run the hackle through your thumb and palm (Flytyer has detailed this method in this forum) and it breaks up the hackle nicely. Should have done it before I snapped this shot...

I know Aaron at River Run Anglers can get you some rhea and amherst. Also check out the Fly Fishing Shop as they may have it. Both are on the sponsor list on the top right corner of the page.

-sean

local
02-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Sean: Do you tie an emergent flesh fly also? :razz: Have fun out there, watch out for those wiry boys that prowl the streambanks. and have fun in the trees. Pick up some of my flies for me also, if you wouldn't mind. :wink: Your 'host' will show you where they are.............................

local

speydoc
02-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Sean
Nice fly - I used amherst fibres in a wire dubbing loop to get a sparser hackle in the past when using it as a body hackle. Curantly I prefer using the amherst with just a turn or two at the throat with rhea for the body - I cut off every second fibre from the rhea prior to wrapping to get a sparser effect.
speydoc