hook size [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: hook size

02-15-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm wondering about proper hook size for GL steelhead. I was using an intruder-style fly this weekend with a size 6 Daiichi 2571 as the trailer hook and had several hard strikes with no hookups. The hook had to have been in the fish's mouth given the extreme rearward location.

02-15-2005, 01:44 PM
I've missed/lost fish on #12's through #3/0's :confused:
Some days they just don't stay stuck...
Does MI have any restriction on hook size or number of points? Maybe a #12 treble like they do in Europe would be the ticket.

02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Same with me, especially on these cold winter days. Even when the strike seems solid and hard my hookup ratio seems to drop in the winter. I donít think it is necessarily your hook.

02-15-2005, 04:18 PM
I doubt there is a restriction on number of points. In fact, the fly in question had 2 hook trailing, tied on either side of the main shank of a long streamer hook (its point cut off) and tied in a way to imitate crawfish claws. So, I'm thinking the fish had both points in its mouth.

02-21-2005, 08:24 PM
While I agree that one can (and I have) miss steelhead on any size hook, I find #1s and 2s to be the most effective sizes for westcoast steelies(for shortshank/bait style hooks) - I have lost too many fish on #6 egg hooks to continue using them - I have faired better on #6 & 8 bartleet supreme hooks for small speys however.