hook size [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: hook size

grouseman
02-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm wondering about proper hook size for GL steelhead. I was using an intruder-style fly this weekend with a size 6 Daiichi 2571 as the trailer hook and had several hard strikes with no hookups. The hook had to have been in the fish's mouth given the extreme rearward location.

silverdoc
02-15-2005, 02:44 PM
I've missed/lost fish on #12's through #3/0's :confused:
Some days they just don't stay stuck...
Does MI have any restriction on hook size or number of points? Maybe a #12 treble like they do in Europe would be the ticket.

Charlie
02-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Same with me, especially on these cold winter days. Even when the strike seems solid and hard my hookup ratio seems to drop in the winter. I donít think it is necessarily your hook.

Charlie.

grouseman
02-15-2005, 05:18 PM
I doubt there is a restriction on number of points. In fact, the fly in question had 2 hook trailing, tied on either side of the main shank of a long streamer hook (its point cut off) and tied in a way to imitate crawfish claws. So, I'm thinking the fish had both points in its mouth.

speydoc
02-21-2005, 09:24 PM
While I agree that one can (and I have) miss steelhead on any size hook, I find #1s and 2s to be the most effective sizes for westcoast steelies(for shortshank/bait style hooks) - I have lost too many fish on #6 egg hooks to continue using them - I have faired better on #6 & 8 bartleet supreme hooks for small speys however.
speydoc