carp team? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: carp team?

gordonh
02-15-2005, 12:28 PM
This morning's Wall Street Journal has a FRONT PAGE STORY about carp fishing. In the article a tournament in June on the St. Lawrence is mentioned.

Seems that the Forum has the nucleus for a team but the event seems unimaginably competitive.

Dble Haul
02-15-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm not nearly as experienced as some of the other carp flyfishers here, but competitive fishing just doesn't do anything for me. In my mind, it's the antithesis of what the sport is about.

On another note, it's interesting to see that much exposure about carp fishing.

Quentin
02-15-2005, 06:34 PM
The online paper only has a bit of info but says it's a million dollar tournament. Wonder if it's C&R and how they calculate the score.

There must be some HUGE carp in the St. Lawrence! :whoa:

Q

bd12345678
02-22-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm with Dble Haul on this one. As much as I love Carp fishing (although that's not always indicative of my sucess), I just get way too nervous over any type of competition. I'd rather not assosiate that with fishing. I also find some other fundamental issues with large scale fishing tournaments.

Still though, I can hardly imagine hooking up to a "lunker" Carp in the St. Lawrence! :Eyecrazy:

teflon_jones
02-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Here's a link to the tourney info:
http://www.americancarpsociety.com:8080/ACS/2005wcc.jsp

I forwarded it along to a guy I work with after I found it on another forum, and he comes walking over and proceeds to name off all the guys on the homepage. He has a ton of pics of 30 and 40+ pd carp on the wall of his cube here. His son is also a huge carp fisherman. He landed a high 20's or low 30's pd fish on 2 pd test line before (can't remember the exact weight). :Eyecrazy: They're trying to get sponsors to enter the tourney since it's $2500 to enter. The $1 mil prize is only if you break the NY state record, otherwise you only get $100K. I don't think fly fishermen would have any hope of competing in a tourney like this though.