Hooks for the Klinkhammer Special [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hooks for the Klinkhammer Special

Dble Haul
02-14-2005, 03:41 PM
All-

I want to tie up a bunch of Klinkhammers for the upcoming season, but thought I'd ask some of you with more experience tying the pattern what hook you prefer?

Thanks for any input.

BLACK FRANCIS
02-14-2005, 09:55 PM
for trout i like the daiichi 1130. down eyes make the parachute's easier to tie on the leader and trim the tag without accidentaly trimming the hackle.

Dble Haul
02-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for your reply, BF. I'll look into those hooks.

FishHawk
02-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Take a look at the Tiemco 200R . FishHawk

robkroon
03-03-2005, 06:18 AM
Try the Gamakatsu F22. Already shaped for the klinkhammer :chuckle:

Rob

FishHawk
03-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Partridge also makes Klinkhammer 15BN hook.
FishHawk :D

Dble Haul
03-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah, but Partridge = $$$ :eek:

Geordie Shanks
03-22-2005, 12:07 PM
I was at a fly-in lodge (Inconnu) in the Yukon Territory in July of 2000 at the same time that Hans Van Klinken was there fishing. Definitely a different cat, but a great tier. We sat down one night and he tied a couple of Klinkhammers for the video team that was there shooting an outdoor show for the Europe market. It was interesting to see. He took a standard light wire scud hook (I can't remember the hook but I think it was a partridge) and then crimped it with a pair of needle nose pliers at the eye before tying. He was also tying the patterns in HUGE sizes- about 6 or 8. At first I thought he was doing it so it would show up better on the video, but then we talked afterwards and he went off on Americans and how they always go too small on our patterns. He told me he developed the pattern for grayling and has never tied the pattern smaller than a size 12, and size 8 is his standard. I fish a size 16 to 18 occasionally and the tie has always done well for me. Obviously a different type of fishing in Europe, but it was interesting to see. Sorry I can't remember the hook, but I do remember he crimped it with the pliers at the eye. Good luck.