stocking foot waders and water clogs... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: stocking foot waders and water clogs...

tws
02-13-2005, 07:48 PM
fishing folks,

I've decided to purchase a pair of either Simms Lightweight Stockingfoots - no gravel guards OR... Dan Bailey Lightweight Breathable Waders - these have gravel guards.

both are the same price...

my question is about the foot gear one can wear with either of these SF waders. I've read that sand and especially gravel can migrate easily into shoes, making travel uncomfortable and comprimising the water tight integrity of the neoprene stockingfoot.

I'd like to use something light that slips on easily - don't fancy laces. so here are a couple of water clogs i'm looking at:

http://www.bigfootwear.com/products/products.asp?product_id=539

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7118866773&category=73936

I've never owned waders before so i don't know what to expect. Prehaps a fellow wader can offer some possible alternatives or tell me if the foot gear i'm looking at will do the job, or is completely out of order.

since i've been lead to believe that the stocking foot itself is most prone to leaking how concerned should i be about adaquate foot gear?

i'll be fishing oregon rivers for the most part, plenty of sand, plenty of gravel.

alternatively i can utlize some spare Xtratuf rubber boots from work... by cutting down a size 11 which is one size larger than i wear. and hopfully this will slip on my size ten stocking foot waders.

{this is my personal preference since i wear XtraTuf boots a lot and like them}

also any advice about either of these two wader brands would be appreciated.

thanks for your patience with perplexed shopper.

tws

pescaphile
02-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Either of those two waders are a good choice.

As far as what wading shoe to use, I'd recommend a conventional wading boot. There's plenty of models that are reasonably quick to put onand take off.

I don't think you'll like using XtraTufs as a wading shoe since, being a waterproof boot, you'll be carrying around the weight of all that water they hold when you get wet. I don't imagine a pair would fit too well over the neoprene stocking feet of waders either. I have known people to cut off the feet of their neoprene waders and glue XtraTufs to them for a bootfoot wader with good success. The breathable waders don't leave much room for this.

If easy one and easy off is a primary consideration, look at bootfoot waders. They are easier on and off than any stocking-foot wader.

teflon_jones
02-14-2005, 06:53 AM
I think that using a water clog would be very uncomfortable and will pick up a lot of debris. I'd go for a regular boot if I were you. The low top of the water clog will often be in dirt and sand which will go right in. A wading boot has a high top to help prevent this. Also, if you wade rocky streams, you're definitely going to want something that protects your ankles.

Eddie
02-14-2005, 09:37 AM
I tgink that those clogs will be too slippery. I would look for something with a felt sole or climbing rubber with studs (5.10 rubber aka. aqua stealth). Felt will be cheaper.
Boots also have more ankle support which could come in handy fighting a little current and blind stepping over rocks and holes.
I'm not sure how worried I would be about the gravel guards. They cant hurt, but depending on the stream, you might not need them. Of course you could hole them in a couple of trips in the right conditions.
Wading boots can cost under fifty bucks, so I would recomend them. Get a pair of neoprene socks, and you can wet wade on the warmer days.

JDJones
02-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Water clogs,,,,forget it! You are going to need something with high tops for ankle support. And a minimum felt sole, preferably studded! Algae covered rocks are slippery. Get a good pair of high top wool socks, and a pair of liner socks. Take these and the waders, I would go for the Dan Bailey's, they have good gravel gaurds built in, with you when you go shopping for WADING BOOTS. Put on both pairs of socks and the waders when trying on boots. You want a good fit but not tight. If the boots are too tight, they cut off circulation and your feet will get cold. Too loose and they will be uncomfortab;le to walk very far and will not give the support you need for wading the river.

There are a lot of good wading boots on the market. Some feature convertable soles. Rubber for when float tubing, felt, or studded felt for when wading rivers with algae covered rocks. Wading boots are made of materials that can withstand continuous submersion in water. And they have adequate drain holes so that when you exit the water, the water exits your boots.

One last note, since you have never had waders before, this may not have occured to you. When you are going to be wearing waders for anywhere between four and eight hours, comfort is a big issue. That is why breathable waders are so popular. If you ever spent a day in non breathable waders and ill fitting boots, you would know what I mean. Don't skimp. Do it right the first time!

tws
02-14-2005, 04:10 PM
thanks everyone...

I'm beganning to understand your points.

I've decided on the dan bailey's and also have picked out a wader bootie

the chota kick boat bootie... they seem to be the best deal in my price range.

https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/CyberMerchant/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=78

thanks again!

tws

tws
02-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Either of those two waders are a good choice.
I don't think you'll like using XtraTufs as a wading shoe since, being a waterproof boot, you'll be carrying around the weight of all that water they hold when you get wet. I don't imagine a pair would fit too well over the neoprene stocking feet of waders either. I have known people to cut off the feet of their neoprene waders and glue XtraTufs to them for a bootfoot wader with good success. The breathable waders don't leave much room for this.

Thanks for the feedback pescaphile,

i've decided on some chota booties...

but wouldn't mind learning the trick for attaching the Xtratuf boots to failed breathable waders ( i presume they are breathable). Must use some Xtra tough epoxy! and clean and clamp for hours!

btw, i see you hale from south east AK... I fished there commercially for 14 years - petersburg.

funny... only now am i getting into fly fishing.

kinda miss all the fabulous trout and dolly water. not to mention salmon.

i fished all the fisheries but claim halibut as my beginning.

tws

fishingbum
02-16-2005, 01:13 AM
i've always worn the Orvis wading sandals with neoprene booties. i do get occasional sand and gravel between the bootie and sandal, but nothing terrible. never had problems with excessive sand inside the bootie either. i just bought a pair of cheap breathable waders and took them out to the coast once with no problems. i don't plan on wearing my waders with sandals for long, tho. just too broke to afford boots right now :D

tws
02-16-2005, 08:17 PM
thanks for the input fishingbum,

its good to know that sandals will work... i looked at a few pair and they are reasonabley priced.

thanks,

marc

pescaphile
02-17-2005, 02:02 AM
I've only seen XtraTuf's used on neoprene waders and not the breathables. But I don't see why it couldn't be done with a breathable wader having neoprene stocking-feet. There's not much neoprene material so it could be a little tricky.

I've seen contact cement used to join neoprene wader uppers to rubber boots. Here's how:

Use a bleach jug or other bottle of the appropriate size inserted into the rubber boot. Place the wader upper over the boot with the neoprene in a position (inside out) so that it can be unrolled into the final position on the rubber boot. This keeps the cement from coming in contact with other cement before it dries. Apply cement on to the boot and the neoprene. After the cement has cured, unroll the neoprene onto the rubber boot into final position. Using contact cements is exacting work. If you screw up, you'll get another chance with the other leg. :wink:

I know you are well acquainted with the merits of these boots. I've not had waders with them but am thinking of gluing up my old ones now. :smokin: