Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bronzeback Clave

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I was chatting with someone at the fly fair and we ended up expounding the virtues of smallmouth bass on a fly for 30 minutes. It occurred to me that we have not had a much-talked about bronzeback clave yet.

When I was younger, we spent a lot of late spring days catching dozens of bronzebacks in the NH lakes region thinking it was the best fishery in the world. Judging by the popularity of bass-kissin' Jimmees on ESPN lately, it's right up there with the best.

I've got quite a bit of experience with it actually, from those years when a friend put us up in his cottage thru the first couple years when I had a car... at least in one particular area of the lakes region anyway.

Hopefully we will be able to turn away from the fresh arrival of stripers for even a day trip to the Lakes Region for this incredible fishery available for Northeast Region Forum folks.

The best angling takes place typically in the first week of June or end of May. A bit later on Maine lakes, mid-June.

Boats are required, but canoes are plenty. Kayaks, fine. Smaller motor boats are the best choice, and there are rentals available.

6wt, 7wt, 8wt - are all fine. (9'ers are a little heavy but some will make you wish you had it) Floating line, sinking for some spots but not necessary.

Campsites are plentiful nearby, as are cheap lodgings. I might be able to get a free campsite on the water (TBD) from a friend.

I am equally susceptible to striper mania and it's hard to pull away but I hope we can do the bronzeback thing this year!

Juro

See less See more
#2 ·
Juro,
"Back before kids", my Dad, brother-in-law, and I used to go up near Millinocket in Maine. Smallie fishing on the West Branch of the Penobscot was phenomenal! Especially around Dolby Flowage in Medway. (Last time I went was around 10 years ago.)I keep "next yearing" a trip back. What memories! Lot of small salmon nearby as well.
We would go for a week...camping at Katahdin Area Campground was really cheap...like $10 a piece each night. Only 10 minutes from the fishing. The 5 1/2 to 6 hour ride up was killer though. Ride home was worse.
Doug

#3 ·
Do you ever notice that people don't really discuss fly rodding for bass?
Maybe we should keep this one to ourselves??

For me, warmwater is a great quick escape after work, a great way to get the kids started and a great fight on a 4 weight!

I had to scrap a spring trip up to the Canadian border to a smallmouth camp due to time restrictions with the new job but would love to do an impromptu weekend this spring. Plus, my deer hair order has finally arrived!!

Just say the word...

Roop

#5 ·
Swing & miss Terry! It's the St. Croix wastershed

Based on the references I spoke to (people from my own town) provided by Carl Romanelli (owner of The Down River Camps)this is one worthwhile drive.
Cabins are cheap, boats w/ motor are cheap, all you need is water, cold cuts. cookies & beer - not necesarily in that order.

If anyone wants Carl's phone & address feel free to email me.

Roop

#6 ·
There was mention of a Housatonic trip on an earlier thread. The West Cornwall area is very accessible from where I am in CT. If anyone is interested, I might just dust of the freshwater gear.

#7 ·
Adrian,

The Housatonic in the West Cornwall area (TMA - Trout Management Area) is one of the best trout rivers in New England during the spring and fall. Then during the summer, the smallmouth fishing there is terrific. I'll definitely be going there a couple times this year and will let you know when, in case you are interested in joining me.

Greg

#10 ·
What with the weather conspiring against our best laid Rip Trip plans, I'm thinking about dusting off the freshwater gear and heading up to West Cornwall. Any type of freshwater bass would be a first for me.

This coming week-end would be favorite if the the Rip Trip is off. Anyone else interested? It's no big deal for me since I live pretty close and could make a final decision Saturday evening. It this works for anyone else it would be great to have company!

#12 ·
That would be West Cornwall, Connecticut - Housatonic T.M.A. I've been up there a couple of times but not fished it yet.

7/12 Update - Cape weather looking better so that's where I'm headed this week-end!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.