storing a spey line [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: storing a spey line

steelmaniac
02-09-2005, 09:19 AM
How should I store my Rio windcutter 9/10/11 multitip. I bought it about a year ago and more than likely i won't be able to use it for another year cause i'm in germany right now. Some advice on if i should keep it ont he reel or not and also maybe some kind of treatment for it. Thanks.

Adrian
02-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Good topic!

This post deserves a reply but seems to be getting eclipsed by the eBay thread :lildevl:

In my experience, modern flylines do fine left on spools for extended periods. That said different manufacturers lines behave differently. I often save the old spools that flylines come in for storing when they're not in use. Things to guard against might include extremes of temperature.

An email to the manufacturers customer service department might be an idea.

Any other thoughts, advice, experiences ....

Smolt
02-09-2005, 02:14 PM
I would remove the line from the reel; clean it, but don't treat it; loop it into large, loose coils held together with twist ties (use the kind you find in the bulk nut or candy sections of supermarkets that have a wide wing on which you can write); mark the line weight and model on one of the ties or something else attached to the line; either hang it on a hook or put it in a large plastic bag; and store it out of the sunlight and away from the heat. I would do the same with the tips, but you don't have to mark them since RIO has done that already. When its time to use the line again, run it through a clean cloth to get the kinks out, treat it with Poo Goo, put it back on your reel, and your ready to roll. Hope this helps.

Eddie
02-10-2005, 07:42 AM
I would agree with smolt, only to add that if you coil it like a rope, you will add twists in the line, and this will drive you CRAZY :Eyecrazy: .
I use a struble line winder, but I'm sure that you can acomplish the same some other way.
This is hard to explain, but when you take the line off, it is better to pull it straight off the reel like a baitcaster than off the spool like a spincaster. Same with putting it back on.
I think that the spools that the lines come on should be fine, but the seem soooo cramped (esp for a spey).

steelmaniac
02-13-2005, 12:38 PM
thanks guys for the info

juro
02-13-2005, 12:46 PM
NO lie - I know some fly anglers who hang their lines in the fire station hose drying towers for the winter. Now that's serious attention to line storage!

teflon_jones
02-14-2005, 06:56 AM
I have a 4-5 ft long board that has duct tape over both ends (to protect the lines and create rounded corners), and nails coming out at 45 deg angles to form sort of a Y at each end to help when I'm wrapping the lines on. I take my lines off of the reels and loosely wrap them around this board at the end of the season, then hang the board up.