My "Ultimate Suede Crab"... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: My "Ultimate Suede Crab"...

Henry
02-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Hola folks,

This one is a load of fun to tie. The crab carapace is thin white craft foam coloured with perm marker and coated in epoxy. The legs and claws are cut and knotted tan suede strips picked up at the local craft/fabric shop. I tie the legs and claws in on the hook shank same as Lydia's Rug wool is tied in on a Merkin Crab. I put a small tuft of tan maribou in there to simulate mouth parts aswell.

I can't wait to fish it!

Henry

Geordie Shanks
02-08-2005, 05:36 PM
That is unreal. All three of these patterns are exceptional. You obviously are a man that takes his art seriously. Very impressive. How long did this crab tie take you?

daverob
02-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Very realistic looking fly. How does it cast?

striblue
02-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Great job Henry!

teflon_jones
02-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Another great fly Henry. Where to you come up with the inspiration for the components?

What size/type hook is that on?

nevada caster
02-13-2005, 09:51 PM
How is the underside finished? Do you use anything lighter in color? With the epoxy will make a lot of noise landing?

Thanks

Henry
02-13-2005, 10:02 PM
This crab pattern is very light and reasonably quiet on splashdown. The carapace is made out of white craft foam sheeting...deliberately to keep it light and add bouyancy so body of crab floats up pivoting from 5/32 lead dumbell eyes. The epoxy coating on the shell acts only as a sealer for the permanent marker used to colour it. In fact, the coating is so thin that the shell is flexible.

I'll post a pic soon showing the underside. To describe it though is that it is light coloured as I didn't apply any colour to the underside of the foam.

Thanks for your comments and interest.

Henry

Henry
02-14-2005, 02:15 AM
The ones pictured are tied on Mustad 4007 size 4

Jim Miller
02-14-2005, 07:54 AM
That is Sooooo COOL! :D
Henry...this latest flurry of patterns (shrimp,crabs,baitfish) has been a real inspiration.....keep up the good work! :)

ruisvoorn
02-14-2005, 01:49 PM
http://members.lycos.nl/vliegvissers/Strip/Layer.gif

Henry,

Thanks for sharing ....your flies are very nice !!

Best regards,

Marco Rudolph