Built on US blanks ??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Built on US blanks ???

norwayerik
02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi
I am probably stirring up a bees nest,but how can you be sure that it`s a US product all the way,i.e. with the top gun companies.Here on the outskirts of the
eternal snow,mention this i various fora on the net,"cataloge readers" are 100 %
that their favourits are US babies,with no far east blood.However,people with all
their workin carreers in Fishing equipment,whom I spoke to,said that if a lot of anglers knew where the blanks came from,the would be disapointed.
Maybe a SAGE rod with "Bundang" stampings on it ? :-)
Now seriously,can anybody answer me ?

Thanks Erik from Norway

norwayerik
02-06-2005, 03:33 PM
HI

Seems like normal saturday night.Except the waling..

I am just asking.The label mentioned was just,as an example.
I am not out to provocate anyone,just getting answers..
I guess some Asian blanks are second to none,but as a customer buying rods,
handbuilt here or there,you expect to get just that.
Just look on Ebey.Some korean sells rods,obviously from the same factory,with
all the well known labels on them.Europeans and US.
So I am just wondering

Erik

flytyer
02-06-2005, 10:41 PM
As far as I know, every G. Loomis, T&T, Meiser, Lamiglas, Burkheimer, Winston, Orvis, Talon, Powell, Graphite USA (GUSA), and Dan Craft blanks are made in the USA. Nearly all Sage blanks are made in the USA. Until very recently, all the St. Crox blanks were being made in the USA. The top line St. Croix blanks are still made in the USA, but the bottom end ones I understand are now being made in Korea to St. Croix specs.

Rainshadow and other Bateson Enterprises blanks used to be made in the USA, but since the blank manufacturer Bateson had them built to their specs by ceased business last fall, I am not sure where they are being made now.

Redington blanks are made in Korea.

NrthFrk16
02-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Meiser, Lamiglas, Winston, Powell

These companies actually have some blanks made outside the USA.

BLACK FRANCIS
02-07-2005, 05:56 AM
Winston Ibis rods are now being produced in China. this is fact, i got one in the store with a "made in China" label on the butt. it went directly back to "Montana". they claim that they were too busy and "alternative sourcing chanels" had to be found. they claim they can't get enough people to work in their factory in Twin Bridges Mt. this i know from a letter Winston sent out. Twin Bridges has an average uneployment rate of over 10%, in the winter as much as 25%. there will be no new Ibis rods in my shop.
Sage claims all their rods are made in usa but i don't know if the laws let them say that with an offshore blank. Sage recently started making their reels in Korea, the same reel (3000 series) as they used to make here. the quality has imho gone down.
as far as i've been able to find out T&T's are all domestic. even their new xl-4 lower priced rods. again, i don't know how the law affects the blanks.
this has been a real nut to crack for shop managers who want to promote the "made in USA" label. especially in blue collar cities like mine.
if there are any lawyers out there who know how these laws work i am all ears.

Robert Meiser
02-08-2005, 12:05 AM
All of the blanks in my series are rolled to my specs (with shared mandral rights)by Stephen Pratt of CTS New Zealand.

I also use three blanks by Burkie: The 13' 3 pc.

Meiz

Gary W
02-08-2005, 05:29 AM
In Britain(UK) manufacturers are allowed to put a made in Britain/UK/Great Britain/Scotland/England etc. etc., as long as the final product is assembled here. I do not know the exact ins and outs, but that means that the blank can come from one country, the components from others, it is assembled in Scotland and has a Made in Scotland stamp on it. I refer to no company in particular here.

Is the law the same in the USA?