Norwich Ct. Holdover Striped Bass [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Norwich Ct. Holdover Striped Bass

bonefishmon
02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
For any diehards out there that want to catch striped bass in February, the first warm spell after the severe cold spells we've been having tend to wake up the bass in the Thames River in Norwich Harbor, Ct.. If those dreams of an earlier thread are driving you crazy, it's time to get those depth charge lines and the boat out out of hibernation for some great holdover bass fishing. Most fish will be very deep and you WILL need the fish finder. Anyone game?

Smcdermott
02-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Phil,

I have to disagree with you on this one. Although I have no Scientific evidence to back this claim up I really think those fish should be left alone. It just seems to me that they must have a hard enough time as it is in those conditions without the added stress of a hookup. Also from some of the underwater views I have seen of those fish it would seem that you have just a good of chance of snagging them rather than getting a true bite due to how close they are schooled together. I am all for targeting them when they move down river in March and April and are truly on the feed. Just my opinion and I won't chastise anyone for doing it. Just thought the opposing view should be voiced.

Sean

Dble Haul
02-04-2005, 01:45 PM
You'd also have to put up with the other boats that are following the same enormous load of fish. One of my buddies has done this before with conventional gear and told me that once a boat starts hooking up, things get quite crowded as everyone follows the same marked group of fish.

If it floats your boat, go for it. But it's not for me.

bonefishmon
02-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Sean. That was a good wake up call for a cabin fevered nut that I am! I too have only fished there in March to shake the long winter skunk. Very good points from both of you and I thank you for being open and candid with your remarks. All of my fishing on the Thames has been from shore. I too don't like being in the crowd! Thanks again for the input. It's just SOOOOOO close to home!

Phil

Adrian
02-05-2005, 09:01 AM
There are alternatives to the Thames Combat scenario for wintertime action but the cold snap in January put paid to that for me - I knew I should have got out on Jan 1 :mad:

I'll be launching the yak in a couple of spots East of here once we get a few consecutive 40+ days - last year was early March.

Dry suits and thermal layers are the order of the day!

FishHawk
02-05-2005, 10:51 AM
For me I'm going to do some early season trout fishing in March. I have had some good luck at times but it's hit or miss. Good to get out and cast after the winter cold snap. FishHawk :smokin: