Biggest planned purchases of the year? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Biggest planned purchases of the year?

02-04-2005, 06:26 AM
Just curious... what is the biggest planned fishing-related purchase of the year in the following categories:

1) trips

2) gear

3) alimony

Just kidding about the third.

02-04-2005, 08:14 AM
All plans,wishes and dreams of fishing abroad this year cancelled due to daughter #1 moving back home and about to deliver granddaughter #1. This is just fine with me, now I'll have a new fishing partner! :biggrin: Idaho will still be there next year.

Actually have 2 places I want to go other than Idaho, which will happen anyway. Next year will see 1 of these materialize.(I know, you said "this year", but hey, next year is all I got). I would love to go to Iceland and fish for Salmon. I've seen footage of the place in both Mel Krieger's and Henrik Mortensen's vidoes and I am enthralled with it. The other, which is more likely, is a trip to an east coast vacation spot where I can take the whole family and let them be beach bums for a week. I'm thinking Martha's Vineyard or the Hamptons or some place like that. Maybe even up on the Maine coast, where the family will have plenty to do and I can chase linesides with my Atlantis :devil:

Just ordered a Meiser S2H126456 and next will get a Burkheimer 13'3" 6/7/8.

Heck, if I had to pay alimony I'd be posting on the "Stinkbaits and Uglysticks" board. :eek:

02-04-2005, 08:50 AM
A new ultra travel outfit for my trip to New Zealand! So far the 6pc LL bean's have my eye cause I love even number rods. The 5 pc Wayfarer that I have is sweet, but I hate not being able to keep it as an even 2pc for the rest of the time!!!

02-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Tent trailer (I Hope)

Getting too old to sleep in a tent, ... Anyone want to rent this:

02-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Two trips to Canada to fish for atlantic salmon with either or both of my sons -- one in July and one in September/October. Maybe another two-handed rod -- Atlantis 1111 is beckoning.

02-04-2005, 12:30 PM
1) trips
I'll be going up to Maine for a long weekend with my best friend, my father-in-law, and maybe a couple of other people for some early summer smallmouth fishing. We'll probably do 4 days or so in the Grand Lake Stream area. I'll also be out on the Cape for a week in July, but that'll just be a general vacation, not specifically a fishing trip. Neither one of these will cost a huge amount.

2) gear
My BIG planned purchase for the year really consists of a few items that are all related. I don't have money to get a boat, so I'm going the cheap route and getting into float tubing. So, I already bought the waders, a float tube, and wading boots, and I need to pick up the flippers. Total cost of a few hundred $$$ since I went the eBay route for all of it.

3) alimony
Talk to my wife in 6 months...

02-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Trips local this year but perhaps Montana next year for the BWO hatch on the Missouri.
Gear: New Winston B II X blank and components. Can't wait to try out this rod .

salt dog
02-04-2005, 02:08 PM
The calendar is filling up with aspirations for fishing dates through out the year, but as to out of State Trips where a significant cash outlay will be required:
I was able to hijack the family vacation this summer, and plan a camping trip to the St. Joe in Idaho, and Rock Creek, MT., with the family. Cutts, bows and browns, a splendid medley. I will be picking up one more low end combo rod set up so everyone has full gear, and 5 pairs of wading boots.
Also, November will see a trip to the Bahamas by way of Marco Island for bones, barracuda and shark and more.

Gear, I will be picking up a DH beach rod for Puget Sound salmon (a CND 7/8 if they come out with it before June), and last month bought a Lamson litespeed 4 reel for the rod, and will pick up lines for it after I finalize my 2nd choice of rods, and maybe an extra spool. Also, miscellaneous fly tying supplies in the next few weeks.

After all of that, I hope I have enough left over for a 2005 fishing license. :wink:

02-06-2005, 06:43 AM
West Side of Andros live aboard from Williams Island down to the Northern Bight.
I've been saving for two years and still don't have enough $$$$ to book it. May have too hire a sponge boat but I'll get there somehow!

02-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Anyone want to buy a 42' Bertram?

02-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Good morning,
Lets see......

California Annual Non- Res........$83.00
(not much snow pack up North yet)
Wanonah Vagabond 14.............$700.00
(the 2nd one,for the bussiness, we'll have George W. pay for that one :lildevl:
Kimber 8400 Classic...................$850.00
(deeper backcountry trips planned, don't want no trouble)

The dance card is full already, with New England on it for Fall....
Just hope the Sheiks and Shakes dont shut off the flow!

Hell, she get's $1000.00 a month already!

Did I mention a new St. Croix 7wt travel set-up?

Champange Dreams............Budwiser Pocketbook...
I know I have a rich uncle somewhere..... :hihi: :chuckle: :D

(By the way, you would'nt have a spare 10 spot would you, I mean just till Friday?)

Comming to you from somewhere in the N.W. Quad

02-07-2005, 05:14 PM
I want an 8wt to chase those bigger bass! I'm tired of using my 'lil 4wts on them!

I'd like to cast a TFO and see how the 8wts feel! :)

Also, I'd like to put some SA's "mastery series" on my reels...they deserve it! :)