Breathable Waders [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Breathable Waders

Boerie
02-03-2005, 12:50 PM
I am looking to purchase a new pair of breathable waders this season. With so many new brands and models on the market I don't know where to begin. Obviously my budget has a limit, but there is no substitute for quality. Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model? I do most of my fishing for Atlantic Salmon on Scottish waters such as the Spey, Avon, Dee, Ness etc.
Boerie

fcch
02-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Haven't read it, but seems to cover the basics.

//www.bigskyfishing.com/ Gear-Technique/fly_fish_gear/fly_fish_waders.htm]http://www.big skyfishing.com/Gear-Technique/fly_fish_gear/fly_fish_ waders.

I use Wardells and love 'em. (no longer in business)

IMHO, the gude weights DO last longer than regular. Then again, I'm REALLY tough on my stuff, bacon grease, bug dope, sliding down to a lie on my but and usually only wash them properly 5 or 6 times per year. :tsk_tsk:

Friends found the double knee on the Orvis Guide weight to be a perfect place to snag a branch or barbed wire.

To keep my neoprene feet longer, I wear a thin neoprene sock over them, inside my wading boots. (done this for 4 years now and no leaks yet).

MJC
02-03-2005, 01:46 PM
My advice may not apply as you are in the UK, however during steelhead season I have a lot of anglers come thru my shop. They come right from the river and are suited up. A great many of these guys are trout guides and they pretty much live in their waders. Also they can get about whatever brand they want through "pro discounts". I have paid a great deal of attention to what waders these guys wear and more of them are wearing Dan Bailey Lightweights then any other brand. If they are avaiable over there in your country you should give them a serious look.

Eddie
02-03-2005, 05:35 PM
quality pays for its self many times over and I think that Sims are far and away the best on the market. I think that most guides fish in them, and for a reason. Good to hear that the Dan Bailys are popular too.
If you do a search on this web site, there are many posts covering breathable waders.

bluegillbob
02-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Bass Pro Shops makes all kinds of breathable waders. I own a pair, and wear the wading boots too! Mine are durable, comfortable, and very breathable. Check them out online, or send away for a catalog.

juro
02-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Chris -

Do you know the policy on direct links to non-sponsors? It's in the membership agreement.

We'll be waiting for your email or edit, thanks. We don't ask for much around here but we do require no links to non-sponsors unless the intent is to recruit them as sponsors themselves.

marcusjanssen
02-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to check out the websites. I was already thinking about Simms Waders, as I know a few folk who rate them.

Tight lines

Marcus