Fly Fishing Forum banner

First Pond

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Sitting in my office yesterday, watching the sun shine & thinking about the new kickboat hanging in the garage, I just had to skip out & hit the water.

I was on the water by 4:30, having a popular pond all to myself. My goal was just to get familiar with the new kick-boat & try out some of the new flies I will be trying for the salt so I brought the wifes new 8 weight. I hope she appreciates all the work I'm doing for her.

I fished deep & slow, bright & dark - nothing. No big deal until I see fish rising for the midges that were hatching in a back corner of the pond in a little inlet.

Took my leader which prevously was 8' long and ended with a section of 4# fluoro for a tippet and modified it to 9.5' 7X to cast a teeny #14 dry fly. Casted perfectly time & again - rejected.

Happy as can be with the new kick boat, got some great photos of geese, ducks, swans.

I'll brag about fish next time.

Roop

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds idyllic... I am no trout expert but it could have been they were going for emergers verses adults. If they seemed to be predominately smaller boils without a lot of fin breaking or snout popping, try a half emerged mosquito-larvae looking fly and dress it so it sits just under the film. I often get the hit while stripping in tiny little twitches.

When all else fails I go to a gnarly bead head wolly bugger in black #10 or even #8 and that somehow seems to weed out the aggressors. Another option is to fish a nymph in the top 3-6 feet with tiny twitches. My son will attest to that, he landed a 16" rainbow last time we fished that way under the rises.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.