Russia's Kola Peninsula [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Russia's Kola Peninsula

marcusjanssen
02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi,
I'm fishing the Rynda River in Kola this August. I'm looking for any useful tips in terms of techniques, gear and especially fly patterns, hook sizes, singles, doubles, tubes etc? Can anyone help?

salar76
02-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Marcus

What dates are you fishing Rynda? I was there last year (Aug 2-9), and somehow managed to convince the lady to let me go again this year (week 34, Aug 20-27)!!

Flies used were anything from 1.5" thinly dressed ali tubes (black & yellow, willie gunn, silver stoat etc etc) - my guide loved them and i couldn't quite believe that fish would take these when the water temp was edging onto 20 degrees celcius (bit of a heatwave last year, in case you didn't know. praying it won't be happening again this year), through to size 12 & 14 wee doubles. People were also having huge success on skated bombers and hitched singles (size 6 or 8 is what I was using there), and of course sunray shadows - generally a few inches long.

One of the Norwegians in the party caught all of his 13 or so fish on tiny francis conehead tube.

To be honest, all the flies seemed to be equally successful, so I don't reckon its too important

At that time of year we were all fishing full floaters. What was amazing though was that we still managed 100 fish for the week between the 12 of us when the conditions were so bad with such warm water. On the days when the sun wasn't blazing we were coming in with about 25 fish, and on the sunny days usually 10 or so. We were all using 15' rods too - its not as small a river as i thought it would be. Maybe a smaller double hander or a 10' #8 could be a useful additon.

I'm sure you've read up all about it on the website, and I can say, even with last years conditions it really is an amazing place to be.

Cheers

Lawrence

marcusjanssen
02-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your reply Lawrence.

It seems that we will just miss eachother, or perhaps meet on the day you arrive! I'm fishing the week before you- 13th - 20th August.

Thanks for your helpful tips- anything else would be appreciated.

Marcus

salar76
02-02-2005, 12:11 PM
well maybe i'll see you in murmansk!

another thing - take some heavily weighted nymphs suitable for upstream nymphing - my brother took 2 fish in 2 casts with this when the going got really tough. funny thing is after the first one he offered me the rod to have a go, but I turned him down as i wanted to fish some fresh water. so he pulls this one out. now there's much deserved success, and then there's taking the p*** . it was his biggest salmon to date, so you can't begrudge too much!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/lawrencehunt/Tolstoi11lbs2.jpg

marcusjanssen
02-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks. I intend to get tying this June, when I graduate from uni- I'll be sure to have some weighted nymphs in the box aswell. On that note, when you say weighted nymphs, any particular patterns, hook sizes?

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the trip.

Marcus

wilbert
02-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I fished the Rynda last year with Lawrence and I am going again this year, looking forward to going back as I had an excellent time even though the weather was against us. Every pool on the rynda has its own character and no 2 pools are the same and the guides encourage you to approach each pool in a different way. I used a wide range of flies from 3" copper tubes to bombers, willie gunns worked well as did small yellow ally's shrimps (size14). I hitched large singles, small doubles and plastic tubes as well as bombers and muddlers. If you have never fished a "dry" for salmon you are in for a real eye opener as it is a very exciting way to fish and no 2 fish take the same. I missed the first 2 takes as i was convinced they were trout as they were so delicate but as the second turned a saw a flash of silver and knew I had missed a good oppertunity although I never felt the fish. I mannaged 3 on bombers and a total of 9 for the week as well as loosing a few. There are also lots of good trout throughout the river and I will dedicate some time to them this year. In the space of an hour I had approx 30 trout between 1 and 3 lbs on a skated tube (1 every cast) but the powerful salmon rod took the fun out of it. You will have an excellent time and I may see you in the airport at Murmansk on your return trip, just remember to listen to your guide as they know exactly where the fish are and how to tempt them into a take.

Dave.

marcusjanssen
02-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Dave, thanks for the info- I'm keeping notes, and my brother (who I'll be fishinmg with on the rynda) and I will be tying flies furiously before we go. So, would you recommend taking a lighter rod for the trout? I've heard about the trout fishing on the Rynda, and even if it's just for an evening, I quite like the idea of having a go.
If you or Lawrence can think of any other valuable information that you'd like to share, then please do. Thanks.
Marcus

wilbert
02-03-2005, 03:53 AM
Marcus I would use a 6 weight rod for the trout and I would be good to spend an evening fishing for them if you get chance, don't use too light a leader as some of the fish are big and you have every chance of hooking a salmon. There are also some sea trout in the river but these don't tend to run too far up the river. Can you spey cast from both banks? it would be a plus if you can as there are a few pools which you can't overhead cast but there are plenty of pools where you can. It was great to use a floating line for 98% of the week and my casting improved greatly as I don't normally get chance to fish every day for a week. Get plent of sleep before you go as you will not get too much while you are out there especially if you like a drink at night. One last piece of advice don't drink all the beers as I will want a few on my arrival.

Dave.

salar76
02-03-2005, 04:21 AM
.....and leave us some fish!!!

bone
02-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi Lawrence and Dave,

Greetings from germany! I'll also travel to Kola again, this time my brother is joining me. Unfortunately we will be there in the 32nd week. I hope, that it won't be as hot as it was the last summer...

Marcus,

last year (early August) my flies were much to big. We had the best results on tiny Tubes, like the Conehead Frances( check at sportfish.uk) or the Black Pussy(Gena's Creation). Hook size 8/10/12/14!.

Can't wait to be there again!

bone(Sven)

Smolt
02-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Okay, I'll bite. What is the recipe for the "Black Pussy" and who is Gena?

marcusjanssen
02-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Sven, Thanks for the tips. I just bought a supply of cones for tying conehead tubes, and because my home river is a relatively small highland river, I'm generally well stocked with hooks in sizes 8-14. Dave and Lawrence, we'll be sure to leave you some beers, but can't promise we'll be so generous with the fish!

Marcus

bone
02-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Gena is one of the Russian Guides. The sample is a big, fat black Frances with a lead Conehead.

Boy's we'll be there first. Sorry...

bone :eek:

wilbert
02-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Sven you will have to let us know how you get on and what patterns are working as I will have 1 week to tie them between you getting back and me setting off. Have you been on any fishing trips since Rynda?

Dave.

bone
02-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Hi Dave,

good idea! I just came back from Aruba, caught some Bonefish. Maybe I have the chance to visit Los Roques in April with Eger.

When do you start fishing?

bone

salar76
02-04-2005, 03:55 AM
hi Sven,

Hope life is treating you well! Interesting to hear about Aruba....didn't know it had good bone flats. Now Los Roques....lucky you! Be sure to send my best to Walter :wink:

Theres a few of us off to fish middle blackhall on the Dee in march - very much looking forward to it. As per the dee post on here, things are looking good and there should be a fair flow of springers coming through by then.

Let us know how you get on in Los Roques, and send my best to Eger.

Cheers

Lawrence

wilbert
02-04-2005, 04:18 AM
Sven I am going upto the Dee in March for 4 days with Lawrence, Phillip,Rob M,Rob B and Rhodri who I met at Rynda last year. I will not be fishing on my own river (Ribble) until May as the spring run is very small and then most of my effort will be for the sea trout until July/August. I must have a go at bone fishing soon as it looks very exciting and you get to see your backing with every fish, I have forgoton what colour my backing is as the last time I saw it was when I put it on the reel. Maybee I will see it again on the Dee or Rynda. Hope you make it to Los Roques with Eger as it is a top destination. Tight Lines

Dave.

marcusjanssen
02-04-2005, 07:17 AM
To all you Rynda boys:

When do you have to sort your visa out by? As you know, I'm fishing Rynda in week 33- August 13 - August 20. Also, how do you go about doing it?

Marcus

bone
02-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Marcus,

i guess Peter or Ruth are going to contact you in the next weeks.

Hi Lawrence,

you are absolutely right. There are not many flats on aruba, but as it was my 9th vacation on the island, i know every inch of them...

Dave,

good luck on the Dee. If you ever plan to visit Los Roques mail me, i can give some contacts. Los Roques can be very cheap, if you know where to go...

Sven

wilbert
02-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Marcus to apply for your visa you need to pay for your holiday in full and you can only apply for your visa 12 weeks or so before your trip (Russian rules). Last year they took care of everything for me but this year is a little different as you have to sort out your own visa. There is section about this on their website under travell I think. Have you booked flights to Stockholm and back? I had real problems booking the cheep flights and throgh frustration I paid 40 extra to fly with BA which is not a bad thing. It cost me 170 return from Manchester via Heathrow and they are good flight times. Take plenty of Krona to Stockholm as its Approx 6 for a pint but the food is reasonably priced. I dont want to wish my life away but I wish it was August and I was there as its going to be a long 6 months before I get there.

Dave.

marcusjanssen
02-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Dave and Sven,

Thanks for the info about visas. I have booked my flight to Stockholm, and I think my brother and I were really lucky, we got very reasonably priced tickets through BA. All that's left for me to sort out is my visa, and then I'm all set! As you say, the following 6 months are going to be long. I've wanted to fish the Kola for a long time now, and since I heard that I'd got a place on the ASR programme, I've been battling to concentrate on anything that isn't fishing! Fortunately, our season opens on my home river soon, so at least that'll keep me occupied till August!

Sven, Dave and Lawrence, which UK rivers do you fish, and where about on the Dee do you fish? (I'm pretty sure one of you has mentioned the Dee?) We've been trying to get a week on Park for several years now, since my dad fished it as a guest a few years ago, and had some of the best salmon fishing he's ever had in the UK. Do any of you fish the Spey? And if so, on what beats. I do most of my fishing on the Spey, so know it relatively well.

Marcus

wilbert
02-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Marcus I do most of my fishing on the Ribble and Hodder and sometimes fish the Lune. I have fished the Spey a few times, mainly the Aviemore town water when I have been up on holiday and have fished at Grantown on the upper Castle Grant beat once. Have also fished Tay, Tummel, Deveron, Earn, Annon and Dee. I fished the Dee for the first time last year in Sept on the Woodend beat, its very nice water and is quite a long beat for 2 rods and is not too expensive. This March we are fishing the Middle Blackhall and Commonty beats for 4 days and again the price is ok. Check fishdee.co.uk for booking availability but I think Park is dead mans shoes. Going to Russia last year has opend my eyes and wallet to new rivers. I had not had the oppertunity or motivation to travel before but now like the idea of fishing new rivers, just got to do plenty of overtime to pay for it all.

salar76
02-07-2005, 08:17 AM
marcus

i've fished quite a few of the scottish rivers, inc the upper spey for sea trout (superb), the tay, tweed (always have a few days on the upper tweed in november to close the season off) and beauly amongst others.

Your man for advise though, is 'willie gunn', who I believe is a gillie on Wester Elchies on the spey. anything he doesn't know about scottish salmon fishing probably isn't worth knowing, esp about rivers like the spey and deveron.

on the dee, i've fished middle blackhall & borrowston. middle blackhall i love, borrowston i don't - and that's not because the fishing isn't great there! plus its one of the most expensive beats on fishdee, and it doesn't warrant the price tag.

i also spend a good amount of time on the towy in wales, mainly for the sea trout, but managed a couple of salmon there last season as well.

Highwealdwoodsm
02-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi Guys, I'm also on the ASR youth programme this year, but on Kharlovka, starting 30th July- I'll let you know the latest flies and tactics after I get back, although I only have one day between getting back from Stockholm and leaving for a week at Carron/ Laggan on the Spey. Boy am I looking forward to August!

marcusjanssen
02-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi Highwealdwoodsm!
Great to hear from another fellow ASR applicant. Have you fished Kola before? Or is this your first time?

Marcus

Eog
02-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Hi Gents,

I'd also advise to take small doubles and plastic tubes to Rynda as well as bombers in brown and green colours. Make sure you have pleanty of backing just incase you hook one of the monsters i saw in Rynda falls.

Hope you are keeping well Sven, give my regards to your dad and Eger.

Dave and lawrence- Not long now until the Dee!!

All the best,

Rhodri

QuebecSporting
02-23-2005, 07:57 AM
What is the average fish size in Russia ? :)
Is there a limit of catch /day?

Merci!!

A..... :smile:

marcusjanssen
02-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Good day,
This will be my first trip to Kola, so I can not comment on the average size of fish. I have heard that the bigger fish run later on in the season, and fish over 20lbs are not uncommon. From what I have read, salmon over 30lbs are also not unheard of. With regards to maximum daily bag limits, I believe that all Kola rivers practice a catch and release policy, which from what I can gather is a Russian policy practised on all of their salmon rivers? I'm sure Sven, Dave, Lawrence and Rhodri will be able to share some of their knowledge and experience of the Kola with you.
Tight Lines
Marcus

wrke
02-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Ann
On the Rynda, Kharlovka and East Litza (northern Kola) all fishing is catch and release for Salar. There is no daily limit. Fish generally are large. On one of the weeks I was there, my largest fish was only 27lbs, there were a couple of fish over 30 caught, but the largest of the week was 44 lbs. That fish caught on a size 10 fly waked on the surface. Fish of 20 lbs are relatively common, fish over 30 are more rare, of course, but expected. Fish over 40 are there.
Bill

QuebecSporting
02-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys....
All these waters around the world are so interesting to read about...

I can imagine, fishing them!! :Eyecrazy:

Keep chatting, I'm Reading & Dreaming :)

Ann

salar76
02-25-2005, 05:53 AM
Anne,

www.kharlovka.com - take a look at the reports on the kharlovka and rynda - there's plenty to dream about there! The owner, Peter Power, also runs a youth scheme to give people under 35 the opportunity to enjoy these amazing waters at a preferential rate based on age. Certainly not something that I've heard of from the main sporting agencies such as Frontiers & Roxtons.

cheers

lawrence

Highwealdwoodsm
03-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi Marcus, It will be my first time on the Kola, i am looking forward to seeing the place almost as much as the fishing..

I also hope to get a go at the Arctic char and maybe sea trout in the estuaries too.- Not to mention some great brown trout fishing. I wish I was going for a month..

wilbert
07-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Not long until we go to Rynda now so lets get this thread going again as its a great way of passing time at work whilst counting down the days. More excited about going this time than last year as I know what a great time I am in for.

Dave

Eog
07-27-2005, 09:58 AM
That's a good idea Wilbert. Anyone out there got ideas on the best fly patterns at the moment.

All the best

marcusjanssen
07-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Good call... only two weeks to go... can't wait. Anyone have any useful last minute tips or hints. I have been tying flies furiously- has anyone heard what's working well? Anyone else fishing week 33 on the Rynda?

wilbert
07-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Just read the latest report from Rynda and it looks like the recent rain has lifted the river approx 6" and they have forcast good water levels for the comming weeks. I have tied enough flies for everyone at the camp but dont want to leave any at home just incase they prove to be the killing pattern. Just under 3 weeks now until I set off and I feel like a kid waiting for christmas only this time I can't have a rummage round mum and dads bedroom to see what I have got. Looking forward to testing the drag of my new reel and possibly beating my PB.

marcusjanssen
07-31-2005, 04:19 PM
I have just read the most recent Kharlovka report, and I see that they've got some big water at the moment due to heavy rain this week. For those of you who know the rivers, what does that mean for the Rynda? How quickly does it rise and drop during a spate? If they have big water now, how long will that last? And also, does it become peaty/dark/unfishable in high water/during a spate?

Marcus

wilbert
07-31-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't think that Rynda gets too dirty when the water rises as there are lots of lakes in the system that allow any sediment to settle. In last years reports they had problems with the alge during the first lift of water at the end of August. Last year was a one off freak with the weather ( hopefully ) so I dont think there will be as much alge growth this year. There is a wide veriaty of pools on Rynda so if the river is high or low there will be plenty of pools that will fish well. I think that we may be lucky and arrive to perfect water and fishing conditions. Fingers crossed.

Marcus remember to leave some beers and fish for us and hopefully we will cross paths at Murmansk airport, its not very big and I will be at the bar.

Dave.

bone
08-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi guys,

5 days left... I hear the conditions seem to be better than last year. Has anyone lost rods on the flight from Murmansk to Stockholm? Eger has lost 3 rods on the way home,last year.

bone

marcusjanssen
08-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Bone, (Is it Sven?) I know two chaps this year had all their gear go missing from Stockholm to Murmansk... not sure when they got it back?! Other than that I haven't heard of any other mishaps luggage wise. Just bought a new rod, so would be very annoyed if it went walking! See you at Murmansk on the 14th?

wilbert
08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
BA missplaced my rods on the way back from Stockholm last year. It took 3 weeks to get them back because I was away on a family holiday in Scotland but this stopped me from doing any more salmon fishing. I was told by the wife that I was not doing any more salmon fishing whislt on holiday so I took a trout rod and went fishing with my daughter which was good as she managed 3 trout on fly in 1 hr.
Lets hope nothing goes astray this year. I know there are plenty of good quality rods and reels at the camp (probably better than mine) but there is nothing like catching fish on your own gear.

Marcus you had better not still be in Murmansk on the 14th!!! Its a Sunday.

wilbert
08-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Newsflash from Kharlovka - Water dropping and clearing, 43 fish reported in the first day and half of fishing, 6 of these were over 20lbs. Things are looking good. Lets hope Rynda is also producing the goods.

bone
08-02-2005, 10:01 AM
The latest news sounds good. Don't forget your Conehead-Frances (small-medium sized/all colours)!

As my friends rod-cases have been broken up last season, you should think about a special insurance( i don't trust the guys on the airport in Murmansk).

Hi Marcus, we should meet at the Bar on the 13th!

bone/Sven

chromer
08-02-2005, 10:48 AM
I envy you guys! Please take lot's of pictures.

marcusjanssen
08-02-2005, 04:36 PM
With regards to special insurance, can anyone make any recommendations. I presume that regular travel insurance won't cover a trip into the Arctic circle by chopper etc etc. I'm not at all worried about my own wellbeing, it's my rods and gear I'm concerned about!!!

Sven- see you at the bar on the 13th in Murmansk! (I'm the one with blonde scruffy hair!)

Dave- see you there on the 20th? (I've probably got my dates wrong again!)

Marcus

marcusjanssen
08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Chromer- I'll post some pics when I get back- hopefully there'll be some salmon in them too!

bone
08-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Hi Marcus,

sounds good. I'm travelling with my brother, i guess we are the only germans...

bone

wrke
08-03-2005, 05:28 AM
You guys have a great time and don't forget to report back here about the fishing. Those 3 rivers (four if you count the lovely little Zolotaya) are among my favorites anywhere. Remember . . . reports!

trevwf
08-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Have just got back form the rynda, it is FAR better than last year we got 166 for the week including 26, 28 and many around the 20 mark. CAught a lot on teh Red Francis and munroe killer(10-14). You will have a great time if the conditions remain as i had them. It was said to be the best august week evver comparable to the first weeks of july (ie prime time)

salar76
08-09-2005, 05:01 AM
nice one, trevwf

any photos? peters update this week is a bit thin on the pics!! feel free to furnish us with more details of your trip!!!

cheers

lawrence

wilbert
08-09-2005, 08:53 AM
Glad to see that things are good at Rynda and look set to stay good for some time. 2 quick questions.

1) Are there still fresh fish coming into the river and have the Osenka's started to run yet?

2) With the water temps being lower than last year is most of the fishing still being done on full floaters? or floaters with sinking poly leaders?

trevwf
08-09-2005, 10:08 AM
1. Sea liced fish were being caught all week on the home beat. Ten islands is holding a lot of fresh fish.

2. Water temp was 12-14 C so alot colder than neariron gate bride( big canyon below round pool) but this had no success but it seem to stir the fish up!

Osenkas I believe don't start in proper till right at the end of august/ september! The big cock fish (30lb+) come out to play around now so I am sure they will satisfy!!

salar76
08-09-2005, 11:28 AM
cheers trevwf - this time last year i don't believe that anyone even fished 10 islands and the home pool was pretty quiet. mind you, dancing platforms was on good form last year. maybe the cooler temps are more attractive to fresh fish moving through the lower pools. not long to go now!!!!!

wilbert
08-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Last year i didn't fish below the home pool as our guide didn't think there was much point and to give him his credit he put us onto lots of fish and not many of them were grilse. So if there are lots of fish down there this year it will be an adventure fishing new water. I have been praying for a 20lb fish so hopefully this will be answered. Only 10 days left until we set off, dont want to wish my life away but it beats working. Got everything packed now as i am off camping with the family at weekend until the Thursday night before flying so wont have time to do it later. Hope I have put everything in, been through it 4 times now and it looks ok

wilbert
08-09-2005, 12:08 PM
trevwf I forgot to ask if the Zolotaya was being fished and if so how was it doing? I hope we get the chance to fish it when we are there as I get a real buzz out of fishing a new piece of water.

trevwf
08-09-2005, 12:24 PM
The zolataya was being fished all week it started of VERY good 10 fish to two rods over the day then went slowly down to 1 fish on the friday! but hopefully ot will be back again it was certainly the highlight of some people's week not mine as only got 1 10lb, but good fun. Take a single handed rod as it is small in places and is nice break form teh 15ft!!

wilbert
08-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Is it worth taking the 15' rod to Zolotaya for the wider parts (if there are any) ? or is all the fishing done with a single hander? I have never had a salmon on a single hander so that should be fun if I get one.

trevwf
08-09-2005, 05:18 PM
I took both, with both you can cover all water. It is not exactly difficult to take two rods!! Single handed is great fun to play a salmon

marcusjanssen
08-25-2005, 09:16 AM
What an amazing week- by far my best week of Atlantic salmon fishing I have ever had. Everything was incredible- the fishing, the scenery, the guides, the food, the company- it really was a week of a lifetime. Between my brother and I, we had 27 fish, and I hooked and lost another 11 fish. The majority of them were taken on Willie Gunns in various sizes and weights depending on the stretch of water being fished. I wasn't before, but am now a fan of the Willie Gunn. Small conehead Francis's in red and black tied on loop bottle tubes faired well too. Biggest fish for the week was 32lbs, with 9 others between 20 and 26lbs! What an eye opener. Most of the fish varied from being slightly coloured to dark although a number of fresh fish (the majority being grilse) were caught. I learnt more about Atlantic salmon fishing in one week than one can imagine. It was challenging fishing and it must be said that we fished harder than any of the other rods- averaging 14-16 hrs on the river a day. The great Michael Daunt was part of our group, and what a privilege it was to have him on the river bank with us- he taught me a lot about both casting in difficult conditions and indeed getting the fly to fish well through some difficult lies. He was responsible for two of my fish as he told me exactly where to put my fly and as sure as eggs, within minutes I had fish on on both occasions.

With regards to the Zolotaya, I had an incredible time. I used a single handed 7 wt and had 5 fish for the day. Some blistering runs well into the backing and indeed I had to do some hard running myself in order to keep up with the fish! I also had my first salmon on a bomber in water no more than a foot in depth. I had literally tickled it's nose several times with sunk patterns which it wasn't interested in, and when I changed to a green bomber the fish immediately livened up and on the first cast it showed to the fly and on the second cast it took the fly with confidence! Heart stopping stuff- I am now a convert to the North American style of fishing dries for salmon. I also had a few fish on skated sunray shadows with smash takes which left my legs feeling a bit wobbly!

It was the first time that I properly had a chance to put the new rod- a Loomis Deveron 15 ft properly through it's paces, and I have to say that it is beautiful- it snake rolls like a dream and I found single and double speys as well as the snap-T easier than I did with my previous rod.

I could ramble for ages- don't want to bore you all- but I am on a serious high after a week which ranks up there with my best ever. Anyone considering the Rynda shouldn't think twice.

Marcus

juro
08-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Marcus,

GREAT report! I must visit the Kola Peninsula, it's become part of my lifelong angling checklist and your report only reinforces that.

As for fly selection, I'm afraid we'll never hear the end of it from Malcom (Willie Gunn) now! ;)

(post some pics :tongue: )

marcusjanssen
08-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks Juro- I shall post pics asap. I was affraid that Malcolm might have something to say about my new found love for the Willie Gunn (the fly obviously!!). We had over 500 flies with us in over 50 patterns, and as usual, I only fished a handful of patterns although I did change flies and leader about 15-20 times a day as you are constantly fishing over BIG fish and you just don't want to take any chances with worn leaders or blunt hooks. As I have said already, I would recommend the Rynda to anyone- not only does it have great fishing, the professionalism in every aspect of Peter Power's operation is astounding. I am definitely going back as soon as I can afford it!!! :D

wrke
08-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Mark
Thanks for the great report. I've been there a couple of times and look forward to when I can afford it again. Nice that you got a chance to fish the Zolotaya . . . it's an amazing little river. Did you get a chance to fish the Litza?
Bill

marcusjanssen
08-26-2005, 02:13 AM
Bill, I didn't fish the Litza or Kharlovka only Rynda and one day on the Zolotaya. I would love to go back and fish the Rynda again and I would quite like to fish the Litza aswell, it apparently fished better than the Kharlovka in our week. Which of the 4 rivers have you fished?

Marcus

wrke
08-26-2005, 04:19 AM
Hi Marcus
I've fished all four rivers and enjoyed them all immensely, they're all different. I've fished most of the Litza and the Kharlovka to above third waterfall. I've only spent a day on the Rynda and Zolotaya, but enjoyed them both. I do find myself thinking about the Litza a bit more than the others. All great rivers, though.
Glad you had such a good time. Would love to get back there.
Bill

wilbert
08-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Just got back from Rynda, we all had an excellent time but the conditions were once again against us. It started off perfect, cool and overcast then the wind picked up and blew all the cloud cover away to leave us with blazing sunshine and very strong winds. I broke my personal best twice this week with fish of 18 & 28 lbs. Most of the fish were coloured but I did manage to land 2 fresh fish. I lost about 8 fish this week which is far more than I normally do and 1 of them was a monster which was on for 10 mins before the hook came out. Going to start saving hard so i can return to the Rynda again but dont know when I will have saved enough.

BA did there usuall trick with me and lost my rods on the way out so I had to use the Sage rods at camp (nice rods but too fast an action for my casting style I prefer my 15' B&W Powerlite Speycaster). I have now got them back but when I arrived at Heathrow BA didn't know if the rods were in Germany, Manchester or London but they turned up at a neighbours house (nice to know that their baggage tracking system works).

bone
09-01-2005, 04:18 AM
Hi Wilbert,

good to hear from you again! My brother and I also had a fantastic week(32.nd). The Zolotaya was a little paradise, athough i didn't catch a fish that day. It was too warm/sunny. But I've lost the biggest fish i have ever had on the rod (40+?/Russian Pool), the LOOP double hook#10 wasn't strong enough! I also hope to be back in Russia next year ( 2nd. or 3rd. week in June?). The guide was great(Vadim) and the organisation was perfect, again.

TL,

bone

wilbert
09-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Bone I would love to fish Rynda at the end of June but it is far too many $$$ for my budget (roughly zero last time I dared to look) don't know when I will be back but i will be back again 2007??. I know what you mean about Zolotaya, very nice small river. I lost a fish and had one splah at a bomber but it didn't take so ended up with no fish but still had a great time. It was good fun looking at the fish in Russian pool from the clif, my guide was watching 2 large fish come out of their lies to within an inch of my fly open their mouth and then sink back down without taking. At 1 piont I was bouncing a willie gunn on a fish's nose but it still would not take or move out of its lie.
Its allways the big ones that get away that you remember, I am still having dreams / nighmares about the very big fish that I lost in Tolstoi but it is these things that keep us keen and coming back for more.

Dave

salar76
09-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Sven - good to hear you guys had a good time. After all the reports I thought we would be in for a real bonanza on week 34, but low and behold yet another arctic heatwave set in! Personally I had a few grilse and a 19 pounder on the last day, which really made my week. I lost 2 other large salmon on the friday/sat morning that will be turning over in my mind for a very long time!! By Rynda standards, it was a fairly lean week, but most people either caught or at least got into some serious fish, and a great time was had by all both on and off the river. Zolotaya was lovely too, but with low water and a blazing hot day, it was hard to fish with much confidence!

cheers

lawrence

trevwf
09-02-2005, 07:19 AM
What was the final count for the Rynda? Shame you had a 'lean' week but it is always AMAZING being out even if you are not catching as many as you expect!

salar76
09-02-2005, 07:52 AM
note, i did say it was 'lean' by Rynda standards. We had 80 for the week, which is a fair bit down on all the other (record) august weeks this year. But frankly, its still more than enough for the 12-14 rods that were fishing, and, as i said, the big fish certainly made up for the many blank days. to my mind the longer you go without a fish, the better it is when the line finally goes tight - its nice to have a mental challenge when fishing for salar

marcusjanssen
09-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Good to hear you all had a great time at Rynda- what a special place. I had a day of fishing which I'll take to the grave with me on the Zolotaya- just incredible. A friend of mine spotted a big fish in Russian pool, and proceeded to put no less than 100 casts over the fish with various flies. It eventually took the fly, ran upstream and threw the fly in fast water. Within 10 mins it had returned to it's lie and once again Jim was covering the fish cast after cast. Believe it or not, after about another +-200 casts, (out of frustration?) it took the fly for a second time, this time heading downstream and once again(!!!) threw the fly! What my mate what thinking I'll never know, (probably spurred on by the size of the fish) but sure enough the fish returned to it's lie again and Jim being Jim didn't give up. The fish eventually (another 150-200 casts?) took his fly for a 3rd and final time and low and behold after a long and tedious battle on a 5wt trout rod the hook stayed and Jim's biggest fish (23lbs) to date was netted! Determination pays off!

What an amazing little river!