Line wt for "mouse sized" flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Line wt for "mouse sized" flies

bluegillbob
02-01-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm looking to using those "mouse sized" flies for LM bass. Would an 8wt be heavy enough, or should I go with a bigger rod? I'm considering using those 3"-4" streamers as well.

JimW
02-01-2005, 10:29 PM
I've used a 7wt from the yak and had a blast, but I don't need to cast very far. Usually casting it onto the shore and getting hit as it drops into the water. I don't do much of this but I'm usually dragged away from the salt for one week each year for a family vacation in NH. The hits are fierce and the casting is challenging since the mouse has a mind of it's own. The average bucket mouths we see are ~3lbs. A stiff leader really helps both for casting and abraision resistance.

teflon_jones
02-02-2005, 07:53 AM
You should be able to cast those things fine with a 7, 8, or 9 wt. The biggest obstacle is going to be the wind, at which point going up a line size isn't going to make much difference in my opinion with a fly with that big a cross section.

Wildsmallie
02-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Bob,
While an eight is good for many situations, given the choice, I"d pick a nine. What you use for a line and leader is just as important. I prefer tropical taper saltwater lines for their stiffness, and keepo the leader under 6' and over 10lbs.
Chris

fcch
02-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I often cast such flies and use a 9wt. If finesse isn't important, I'll also spool up a WT instead of DT.

Balance your leader well and you'll have fewer problems. I start with a 40lb test butt and taper down.

my 0.02$

Have fun. Those flies are a blast!!!

natrix
02-02-2005, 10:36 AM
bluegillbob

I use a 9wt with a 10wt SA Head Start floating line. Other times Ill use a 10 wt rod with the same line. Both rods will throw really bigstreamers, poppers and wet rabbit hair flies, (read that as wet sock) and horse a fish out of the weeds. Im sure that a lighter outfit would do the job, but I have a bad habit of breaking them. My 9 wt St Croix SCIII is the toughest rod Iíve ever owned.

For really big or heavy flies and weighted Clousers I use about a 6 foot leader including the butt section.

But Section: 18 inches of 30 lb Berkley Big Game (BBG) nail knotted to the fly line with a surgeons loop on the end.

The leader is attached to the butt section with a loop to loop connection.

Leader: 1 ft 25 lb BBG, 1 ft 20 lb BBG, and 2 to 3 ft of 15 lb Maxima.

The experts say you donít need a heavy but section but I have found that it seems to make a difference.

Natrix