Fly Fishing Forum banner

Proposed Bronzeback Clave Dates

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
If anyone is interested in doing the spring smallmouth fishery, I'd propose the weekend of June 3-4 on Winnepesaukee near Meredith. It's very easy to access from 93, just take 104 a short ways to the center of town. Plenty of accomodations and I might be able to get a waterfront campsite (old friend).

I know some 'secret' structural features of the lake where we have averaged 40 fish on a weekend up to 5+ pounds. Flyfishing with a 7wt or 8wt and a floating line. Sinking line for searching off the shoals recommended. More info to follow. Hope to get sponsorship from local businesses up there in exchange for advertising. This would be applied toward costs as needed or maybe a giveaway or a social event during the clave.

You could show up for the day or stay over. Be good to the family on Memorial Day so you can get away on the 3rd.

Please show interest so we can quantify this.

Options: Maine, Quabbin in MA (loaded with smallmouth)

Juro

See less See more
#2 ·
Juro:
that's the weekend of NEC VII. Probably my only chance to meet some of you in the flesh would be around that weekend in the Catskills. I'll be in the Lake Placid area de weekend before until mid week and then is off to the Catskills and NEC VII starting on Wed, May 31 or thereabouts. The whole FF@ gang will be staying at the Mongaup State campground within a short distance from the Delaware, Beaverkill, etc. Extra enticement: coffin fly spinner falls should be on at around that time.

#3 ·
Hmm... figures! Well, the options are (a) we all do the NEC clave (b) we meet you later on the Margaree (c) re-schedule the BBC and do BOTH! (c) has it's hazards... the wrath of a woman scorned?

I know that the convenience factor for the Bronzeback Clave makes it a winner for us, day-trippers will be able to attend.

On the other hand, I've always wanted to do a FF@ clave, and it would be a wonderful networking opportunity. Who's goin?

Lastly - I wonder if I could rouse a FF@ Margaree clave? That would be more my style, I only catch trout by accident typically

Let me think over all the options and we'll figure something out. Please post some details on the NEC for the rest of us to have the whole picture.

Juro

#6 ·
Juro et al:
I know exactly about the meaning of "the wrath of a woman scorned" It is precisely for that reason that my clave time is scheduled almost a year earlier. any other piscatorial activities are at my own risk! I'd love to go to the Margaree but it is an extremely long shot for me this year.

Here's some extra info about the clave for those interested

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/refrank/nec7/index.html

NEC I and II were in Lake Placid (I hosted them)

NEC III was in southcentral PA (Dale Bonney host)
(took a 20 inch brown on a bomber! Cicadas were about)

NEC IV was on the Grand river in Ontario (Sheldon Seale, Ian martin hosted) (took a 4 pound brown on #16 beetle!)

NEC V back in Lake Placid (Chris Knight and I hosted)

NEC VI last year was in North Central PA

NEC VII wekend of June 4 in the Catksills.

Lots of good people attend. Many of us know each other for 7 years or more. It's a blast.

#7 ·
If you haven't already looked at the what Luis pointed out, you should take a look at <!--http--><a href="http://people.ne.mediaone.net/refrank/nec7/index.html" target="_blank">the clave site</a><!--url-->

For those of you who don't realize it already, this is an annual clave for a very large international community of fly fishermen that I have belonged to for over a decade, really - although the last several years my day job and relocation has put me out of commision, I never really felt like I left.

The planning of the sites and the sign up reminds me of the BoneClave... but quite a bit bigger! This is a serious clave folks, with people flying in from all over. I think for those who may have had clave experiences limited to that which local websites put together (or we put together for them), this is a ral eye-opener and a chance to see how big cyber fly communities can be.

If anyone is thinking about carpooling, this has the makings of an epic event and I could be swayed. I am planning on making a new vehicle purchase and may be postioned to be a driver for three passengers.

In any case Luis - I have a question: the site is very informative but what is the venue in terms of angling? Stillwater trout? Freestone streams near the pond? Smallmouth and pike? The fishing venue is a little fuzzy - can you clarify?

#8 ·
Marvin -

I have a family birthday the following weekend, so unfortunately I'm hosed. The weekend following would put us in the colder lakes or in Maine to sync up with the right phase of their pre-spawn gatherings (depending on rate of water temp rise). Warmer lakes (like Winnisquam) would have smallies into post-spawn by that third weekend... and the stripers would be here!

Let's see how this all goes as we get closer to the dates...

#9 ·
Juro:
these are the Catskills... the cradle of fly fishing in America. We're talking the Beaverkill, Willowemoc, Delaware (west branch and main stem), Esopus Creek. We're talking potential green drake hatch weekend for browns and rainbows in freestone rivers. These conclaves are fishing conclaves, camraderie, suppers in the campground, etc.
To give you an idea of the planning. We had to gang up a year early to make sure we'd have massive access to the campground, as that is a busy time of the year. We planned this during the last day of the Pennsylvania clave and all agreed that on the first day of opening reservations for the NY State campgrounds, we'd all book en masse... We did, back in July or August... I forget which. The campground is at Mongaup and I'm pretty sure there are indications on Richard Frank's page on how to get there. If you're really interested get in touch with Richard and he'll give you the lowdown. Personally, I have never fished the Catskills. Been all around it but never had the opportunity. I'm really looking forward to it.

#10 ·
HoH BOY! Smallmouth clave? Catskills? Did I die and go to heaven? Juro, I'd love to do some smallmouth fishing. If you're givin' up secret structure on Winni, I'm in!
A trip out to the Catskills is very tempting as well. I learned to flyfish on the Esopus, in fact, it's the first river I ever fell into! It's been years, but my memories are of spectacular scenery, neon colored stream bred rainbows and hatches that were on a par with a good bunker blitz. In fact, the coffinfly hatch is particularly fun because they hatch at dusk and into the night. BIG fish rise to these big flies in the dark. Nerve racking, just like a worm hatch covered by selective stripers.
HoH Boy! My cabin fever just went up a few notches!

#11 ·
Mike -

Luis informs us that the dates for the Bronzeback Clave are close enough to conflict with the NEC clave, which is a huge celebration of flyfishing that would put the Boneclave to shame (believe it or not!).

Yes, I am giving up some secret structure on the Winni for the clave and have just re-affirmed it's exact location on a topo map to make sure I know where it is.

It's a tough choice... I could go either way. Anybody want to offer their influences by considering attendance or preferences one way or the other?

Mike - could you also do either one? (maybe we could carpool to the Catskills?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.