keys for bones [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: keys for bones

JONESY
02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi,

The week of 2/11 - 2/16 I will be in the keys ( Big Pine). I was wondering if anyone out there would like to show me around for a few hours, location of flats, approach, etc. I'm new to bonefishing and would appreciate any help or tips. In exchange I could offer time in the Pocono Mts of Pennsylvania trout fishing in the spring or some laughs.

Jim

juro
02-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Pretty nice offer!

I would suggest studying aerials, talking to area shops, or dropping our Keys correspondent Ben Iannotta a line at bigfishonfly.com. He makes his livelihood from guiding on a sweet flats boat but he is generous and knowledgeable and you'd do well to get some insight from his as he lives on Summerland Key nearby.

Or combine a guided trip with some DIY, etc. Good luck and take pics!

JONESY
02-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks
Jim

teflon_jones
02-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Some general tips from another guy who's new to bonefishing:
Take it slow, sometimes you won't see the fish until you're almost on top of them. On the same note, walk as quietly as possible and try not to stir up the bottom.
Be aware of your shadow, and the shadow of your rod.
Get some good polarized sunglasses.
Try some blind casts every once in a while. This accomplishes two things: 1) It may catch a fish you don't see and 2) (what I think is more important) When you're wading for a while and haven't cast, you're not likely to be spot-on with your first cast when you see a fish, so throwing your line out occassionally will keep you loose.