juro
02-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Capt.Keith: "South, North or SOUTH SOUTH?"
:eek:

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/images/break1b.jpg
capecodonline.com photo

Penguin
02-01-2005, 09:34 AM
In the area of the South Beach "drop off"...(the narrows to the left)

Penguin
02-01-2005, 09:38 AM
The Cowz will come home to show their stripes in another 3 months... :D
(500' Aerial taken June 2004)

Rip Ryder
02-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Juro,

All those unattainable cows just off South Beach will now have a wash thru to get into the South Way. Talk about easy pick'ns. My old honey hole may hold fish once again. This would also bring more fish back on the east side flats of N. Monomoy, like it was back in the mid 90's. Oh the day dreaming going on now!!

What you think Juro, North Beach, Middle Beach and South Beach. You guys will really have it tough this year deciding where to spend the day. It looks like the wash over is between the L and K buoys. I thought the steep bank on the east would hold the water back there and we would get the break at the normal drop off, since that has washed over numerous times during the Hurricane season. Just goes to show you never know what is coming next out there. If it continues to stay open and get deeper, I am afraid of what the collapse of the South Beach end will do to the Channels, while it is migrating to the west and connecting the two Monomoys. Good time to think about starting a prop/ waterpump repair business.

Hang on to your flies more excitement sure to come over the next few months.

Keith

FishHawk
02-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I like Middle Beach. Again to Capt. Recon great shots.
FishHawk :D

OC
02-01-2005, 01:36 PM
WOW, from 500 feet those must be 30 pound girls or better, am I gonna have to buy a 10 wt? As always truely enjoy all the Penguin recon pics.

Tod D
02-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Yikes! I've got to imagine a breach thru South Beach means some serious fishing changes: significant current/rip set up; huge pulse of ocean/colder water flowing through, big girls throughout...

How many weeks till May?

striblue
02-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Yes, big changes... but this limits our walking south if the break does not get low at low tide...not sure at this point what it means.. it certainly does creat a new wash though for fish...question is will it be that better at the wash though.... and with the crowds... it will be a magnet for everyone... I envision long Gonga lines by mid day.... the good part is that the pre-dawn brigade will have a head start if they choose to walk.... (I hope Keith will give me a ride back though)... 4 am-5 am walks are back...hit the new contors at the light house then down the beach... I can't wait...Open CAC April 1... and will do a recon on foot.

timwatts
02-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Had the itch, had the time, so I took a walk out there this morning. Started out at low tide, got out to the cut about half tide. Looks like it only comes through at the top of the tide. I don't know the lay of the land out there all that well but it does not look like boats will be able to pass through and it should be passable on foot.

Had some fun with little seals on the beach, they were eating ice. Good seashell pickings to.

flydoc
02-01-2005, 07:33 PM
This has me WAY too pumped to do an early recon...gonna try to get some up close and personal digital pics of the new cut this weekend...post 'em when I got 'em.
P.S. Any word on the Spring Clave? I'd like to make sure I have that weekend off on my call schedule, so any advanced notice would be appreciated :biggrin:
Doc Shep

Rip Ryder
02-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Got a look at the new wash from the wildlife refuge with a pair of Binnocs. Looks to be right at the L buoy. Spoke to the Harbor Master after he drove out there to check it out. Asked him if he thought it would last. His response "it is really flat and we have a lot of East wind to get through this winter" I agree, I think this think will get moving and open right up. Sad part is the new South Beach will break down pretty fast and will migrate towards the Monomoy split, filling that in.

Crowds of people making the walk down today. I can only imagine who the weekend will bring if the weather holds.

rooster
02-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Keith,
When does the first shuttle leave tomorrow?
DK :lildevl:

teflon_jones
02-02-2005, 08:52 AM
As always, Mother Nature leaves me in awe. :) I've never fished that area, but I might have to this year!

Merrick
02-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Just ran across this.

More info on the break and the southway filling in.

http://www2.townonline.com/brewster/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=179403

juro
02-04-2005, 03:53 PM
http://www2.townonline.com/images/Brewster/ccbreak02042005.jpg

and BIG tides coming next week...

Adrian
02-05-2005, 09:51 AM
If the Southway becomes blocked, does that mean we will get another "bathtub" scenario? Sure looks like being a whole new discovery exercise this coming season :smokin:

striblue
02-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Adrian... That is what I am thinking...yes..another Bathtub...like the nothern shore of the bath tub now...see the "southway Clsong fast" thread as well.