permit in the keys [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: permit in the keys

wind roper
01-31-2005, 05:27 AM
i will be in the keys in late june through late july. i wont be able to afford a guide on my military pay (they give you a dollar and tax ya 75 cents!). but i will have a ocean kyak with me. i will be targeting bones, permit, and tarpon and was wondering if any one would share some good areas to fish and some tips to make it a sucessful trip.

Eddie
01-31-2005, 10:32 AM
let's see if we can track down the french guy...
http://members.fishingworks.com/The%5FFrench%5Fguy/
Also do a search on this site for his posts on the subject.

daverob
01-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Read your PM

juro
01-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Drop our new Keys Correspondent Ben Iannotta a line - http://bigfishonfly.com (bigfishonfly.com)

Ben will be getting more involved as we catch up with ourselves as start adding new sections

new yawk
02-01-2005, 09:38 AM
don't know if you'll find the perms there at that time of year...sometimes yes, sometimes no... so maybe... but you'll be there at the end of the peak of tarpon season, and you should definitely see bones as well. you are pretty limited with a kayak, but you could check out the local ocean side flats, and the flats just inside the bay. where will you be exactly? that would help a lot, i could actually tell you specific flats to fish that you could find on a chart.

Eddie
02-02-2005, 10:53 AM
I got an email from Serge, and he says that he does not know this particlar area very well. He recomended getting a guide.
I sppose that maybe someone could be of more help if they knew exactly where you hoped to fish.

wind roper
02-07-2005, 12:35 PM
thanks for the feed back, i will only have 3 weeks of leave in florida 2 of which i have to spend with family, my week will be fishing and i dont have a specific spot in the keys in mind. i will follow some of the advice i got so far anf fish the ocean side flats at bia-honda, and a "secret spot" given to me for tarpon. the rest of the time i plan on driving any where in the keys you guys recomend. dosn't matter which key, or little island i can paddle to. thanks for the help.

new yawk
02-07-2005, 06:29 PM
bahia honda can be good, or if i were you i would target ocean side flats on the low and rising tide. (last of the fall, first hour of the rise) you will probably not get a good shot at bones or perms from a kayak-- you will be too low to the water to get the jump on them. (that's why we have high platforms on skiffs). if you wade, be very careful. the bottom in the upper keys is soft, and you will likely go up to your waist. if you fish the lower keys, the bottom is harder. you also have to make sure you are as quiet as humanly possible--or you will never get a shot. also, get your self a good pair of polarized sunglasses (amber is the best color for this). it is hard to fish the keys without a guide or a lot of knowledge... you can take your kayak to flamingo where you might get shots at reds, snook, and tarpon--but no bones or perms (too far in the backcountry)... for bones and perms, try harry harrison park at the south end of key largo (ocean side). you can splash your kayak, and possibly get a shot. also, be very mindful of guides working the flats, the general rule is to stay 1/4 mile away from someone while they're on the platform. if you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me. good luck.

CaptDaveSaddler
02-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Where are you staying in the keys? I ask that because you should try to take advantage of fishing at dawn and dusk. With low light you can fish wakes,tails, and pushes .On flats where anglers on a boat would blow out fish, you'll remain in the thick of them because of your low profile.
There is a book ,the name is someting like " Kayaker's Guide To The Florida Keys".
Try to find that ,and combined with a Florida Sportsman's Fishing Chart(available @ www.floridasportsman.com.,you should be well on your way.The book shows favorable routes and paddling times,and the chart shows hot spots along the way.
Or send me an email for some specifics on different areas.
Tight Lines,Capt.Dave