TFO Rods [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: TFO Rods

rooster
01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
I recently bought a 9' 4wt TFO (new) for $150.00 from a local fly shop. It will be one of my "back up rods". I am quite impressed with it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the TFO 11 wt rods?
Tight lines,
Rooster :roll:

Slinger
01-30-2005, 11:18 PM
If you like the Pro series wait till you try the TiCr Lefty Signature series, the TiCrX only goes up to a 9 wt but it is more like a 10. I`ll have a new one by spring when I want to throw the big stuff, that`ll be my 3rd TFO.
Slinger

Tayside
01-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Bought a series one 8 weight for Coho season, caught more Chinook than Coho but the rod handled fish into the mid forties. I was impressed enough to buy two TICRx rods a 6 and an 8 weight plus a nine weight two hander. Its nice to be able to buy rods that perform with the big guys but dont break the bank.

Ian

bluegillbob
01-31-2005, 12:27 AM
I haven't cast a TFO yet, but I do have the catalog. I intend on casting them this year. I'm looking for an 8wt or a 10 wt.

I hear nothing but "happy talk" about them.

The TiCr and TiCrX sound like my kinda rods!

How do the TFO's do against the other rods?

TheSeph
01-31-2005, 01:56 PM
For the money they are the BEST i know of.
The Professional Series ~$150 depending on weight are excellent and affordable. My buddy has an 8 weight that is very nice and ive cast the 6 and 10 but not an 11.

has anyone had a warranty claim with these guys yet? Im wondering how smoothly that end of their game runs

Tayside
01-31-2005, 05:36 PM
A friend of mine through his own stupidity broke his 7 weight series one while landing a Coho last October. We went off to the takcle store paid the $25 shipping and handling fee plus taxes (have to pay that here in Canada) and left the store with a new rod. We were back fishing in under an hour.
The tackle store told us if they have it in stock they exchange it right away if it is not in stock it could take up to 10 working days.

Ian

2HandTheSalt
02-01-2005, 07:26 PM
I recently bought a 9' 4wt TFO (new) for $150.00 from a local fly shop. It will be one of my "back up rods". I am quite impressed with it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the TFO 11 wt rods?
Tight lines,
Rooster :roll:

Rooster, 11-weight TFO's are only available in Canada. In the US, we must make do with just 10 & 12-weights.

bluegillbob
02-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Rooster, 11-weight TFO's are only available in Canada. In the US, we must make do with just 10 & 12-weights.

I wonder why 11wt TFO's are only sold in Canada. Then again, I've never seen 11wt flyline here in the states.

rooster
02-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I wonder if any of our Canadian buddies have played with the 11 wt?
Anyone used the 12 weights?
I know some guys who brought some of the early model TFO 10 wts to the baja and used them for dorado and some smaller tunas. They had some breakage problems, but, from what I heard they should have been using heavier rods. TFO took care of them on the returns and I understand the new 10wt has a thicker butt section.
Any thoughts on the 12 wts?
Can't wait for May!
Rooster

troutfly
02-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Haven't casted the 11 wt, but have casted the series 1, ticr, and ticrx. They cast really well, and have a great warranty.

BigDave
02-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Haven't seen the 11's or 12s but have cast the 8,9,10 TiCr. I like the way they cast but can't get over the diameter of the butt sections. The 9wt butt section looked like it belonged on a 12wt to me.

If this doesn't bother you it might be a good pickup. I think they are 4pc also which is nice.

Cast the T&T Horizon, Sage Xi2 and TiCR next to one another next time you go to a fly show. Pretty incredible performance for the $$.

gtolb
02-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Bought a series one 8 weight for Coho season, caught more Chinook than Coho but the rod handled fish into the mid forties. I was impressed enough to buy two TICRx rods a 6 and an 8 weight plus a nine weight two hander. Its nice to be able to buy rods that perform with the big guys but dont break the bank.

Ian
hey, i agree entirely about the tfos...they're the best bang for the buck! i recently purchased a ticrx in an 8 wt. and have been searching for a good but not overpriced reel to compliment it...any thoughts??

Tayside
02-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Matched my 8 Wt ticrx with the system II LA 8/9 not too high priced drag smooth even when wet and will stop just about anything.

Ian

OC
02-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Which sponsors of Flytalk carry these rods? I'm interested in the 10wt. Any ideas on a wt line for the 10 or a certain line?

JimW
02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
OC,
I know Rodbuilders workshop, Baymen outfitters, and the Bear's den carry them.

JimW
02-11-2005, 10:09 AM
I'd be interested in what people had to say about lining a 10wt. I'm looking at the Ticr but after talking to some guys I may stick with the Pro. I've yet to cast these side by side and will soon but until then what are people's opinions of the 10wt ticr vs the pro? I'm looking for something the throw a sinking line, probably a full sink line since it will stay on the deck of the boat. I've got an Airflo multi head 10wt line that might be of use at times and will probably get a clear intermediate as well.

Slinger
02-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Jim, go with the TiCr 10 or try the TiCrX 9. The X only goes up to 9 but it is more of a 9.5 and handels a 10 beautifuly. I spent a lot of time with the X 9 at the show and it throws a 10 over the screen. $20 bucks more than the TiCr but that is made up in the hardware. Believe me you won`t be sorry.
Slinger

Steve_sullivan
02-13-2005, 06:44 PM
For the money they are the BEST i know of.
The Professional Series ~$150 depending on weight are excellent and affordable. My buddy has an 8 weight that is very nice and ive cast the 6 and 10 but not an 11.

has anyone had a warranty claim with these guys yet? Im wondering how smoothly that end of their game runs

I have had my rods warrantied, and I usually call them up the day ups says they got it, and they cant find it, I call back the next day and they have already shipped it out, or will ship it out the next day. Cant complain about that.

As to another poster who said that the tfo's cant be beat for price, I have to disagree. RIGHT now powell has a sale on all their rods, you can get a timax with a machined reel, backing, and line for $250 or for $350 you can get a tiburon 2 (titanium and boron) with reel, line and backing.

I am a staunch tfo man but I could not pass up that price. I did not even need a rod! I casted it, and it might of cast a bit better that a ticr but maybe I am not a good enough caster (a 7 weight ticr versus a 7 weight tiburon 2) to see the difference. The tiburon was DEFINITELY lighter in the hand which I liked. But I am going to send the tiburon back mainly because it was a impulse buy because of the great price 2) it didnt cast noticably better than the ticr 3) I really shouldnt of bought it in the first place because I need the money for a new TV

FLGator
02-26-2005, 08:36 AM
The Red Shed Fly Shop (www.redshedflyshop) is now a TFO dealer. Service is the best in the business. I'm certain Mike can get you any TFO model you have an interest in.

The TFO 12 wt has been getting great press from tarpon anglers as well as some of the guys in southern CA. Many have been replacing their high dollar modles with the TFO's from what I have read and many more are keeping one for their back up rod.

Chris

Mulepadre
02-27-2005, 05:32 PM
I have a TiCrX 5wt and 8wt and additionally a Professional Series 5wt and love them all.
They all have a fast action that fit my casting style.
The graphite fibers are apparently not the modulus or quality as what Loomis or Sage is marketing but the resins and particularly the TiCr scrimp is done to the right combination for equal performance but less expense. Besides with a 65 +/- million modulus of elasticity as these other high end rods the trade off is probably more brittleness and greater likelihood of fracturing over the long run if you make a mistake.
For these reasons I love the TFRs for both their performance and economy.

One Sage Tech told me they were "Walmart class rods" in comparing to their rods. Probably then TFRs are not for the "discerning" fisherman out there. Anywase save me from them.

Finally my TiCrX 5wt loads above its weight (like a 6wt to 7wt) so with the 5wt. Professional to the TiCrX 8wt. I can adapt to just about every fishing situation without having to spend a fortune on different rods.

By the way I busted the 5wt on my truck camper and for $25 I got a brand new one no questions asked last season!

Happy Fisherman.