Olympic Penn. question? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Olympic Penn. question?

bonefishmon
01-30-2005, 08:40 PM
I'd like to do a little arm chair fishing before arrival in March. Any good reading material out there on the trout, salmon and steelhead scheme of things? Home base is Silverdale.

Phil

flytyer
01-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Doug Rose's book on fly fishing the Olympic Peninsula comes to mind. It should be pretty easy to find since it was just redone and updated last year.

juro
01-31-2005, 12:48 AM
Phil -

I can give you a lot of inside skinny but offline so my buddies in the PNW don't hang me ;)

bonefishmon
02-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks Juro. Please PM me the info. My preference off list would be to email me at bonefishmon@aol.com. I'm having trouble with personal mail working properly on this site. May be due to the fact that I have a Mac. I PM'ed you several times with no response.

Phil

juro
02-02-2005, 07:53 AM
Found out my inbox was full, sorry I got buried with PMs. Plenty of time.

bonefishmon
02-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks Juro! I'll look forward to it.

Phil

Luv2flyfish
02-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Hey Phil - The weather is playing hell right now. I was up there since friday afternoon. Friday was rain squal after rain squal. Some rivers were really colored up. Saturday things were coming into shape. It managed to clear off saturday night. By this morning (sunday) major storm had blown in and was dumping some serious water. We decided to "call it" and head for home. In looking at the guages....everything is on its way out again. Need better weather. Park Rangers confirmed that the net schedule by the tribes is 6 days a week. Its a good thing the limit changed on killing wild steelhead...which of course only applies to sportsmen. Nets 6 days a week is going to take a major toll on the fish. There isnt likely going to be alot of steelhead making it to the spawning grounds. What a shame.

JDJones
02-06-2005, 05:35 PM
In order to fish the OPN, you must first drive out there. Having done both I can tell you, it sure seems like the mile posts are further apart out there. :whoa: Just slow down and enjoy the scenery. It ain't goin' nowhere. I think the clocks run a little slower out there too. :hihi: And if you run into Bob Pigott, say hello for me.

juro
02-10-2005, 08:56 AM
OK Phil -

about to start work so here's a bit before I gotta go...

from Silverdale, head west. Before you know it you'll be approaching Sequim, keep going to Port Angeles. If it's early, you have to have breakfast at the place on the main drag with the ceiling fans. I can't remember the name but that NEVER stops me from eating there, outstanding breakfast. If it's mid-day, eat at Bonnat's bakery - fresh soups, Torrefazione espresso and baked treats. TRrivia - did you know Leland designed that logo?

Oh yeah its about fishing - stop in and say hello to Dave at the flyshop in P.A. down past the ferry dock. Tell him we sent ya. Great shop, the best of steelhead and saltchuck coho stuff right there on the OP.

Once you get back on 101, you'll hit the Elwha. This was once home to the largest king salmon on the L48; now extinct. But the winter steelhead are frisky if the regs say you can fish it. I love the river even though it will keep you from hitting the best of the best further west if you stop.

Take the road along Lake Crescent and keep in mind that native rainbows of 20# swim those waters. They feed on cutthroat trout, just to put their size into perspective. The lake is 600ft deep, a real natural gem.

After that comes many views of the Sol Duc. If the river is in shape (and it should be) you can pull over and fish along any good water you see. Five bridges cross over the river so you will have plenty of choices. That should keep you pretty busy.

Grab a hotel room in Forks at the Olympic Suites or other choices. Then get up and drive into the Hoh Rain Forest national park. The road follows the river for miles and miles deep into the rain forest, you could explore that for a week if you wanted.

Depending on how many days you have, you could continue on (and on) to the Queets, Quinault, then around to the Chehalis tribs if you wish. But that should keep you pretty busy.

Steelheading is about exploration and encounter. Migrating fish are moving and you could find them anywhere along the stretch. Spots near hatcheries provide a poor experience for the flyfisher in general due to crowding and incompatibility with techniques. Make your own hotspots, there are miles and miles of them to be found on any given day.

It's as simple as looking at a map, seeing where the river crosses, and moving on when one spot is spent. Keep moving, cover the water temptingly, and you might connect with the fish of a lifetime.

Use a spey rod with a sinktip - or a single hander if you must :lildevl: A WF line with the front half interchangeable sinking tips is the ticket. Rio makes a great one for this purpose, in both spey and single.

Shorter leader, flies that have appeal when held 1/2 the current speed down and across. Take a step down, repeat.

Black, purple bunny patterns or GP's with a splash of color, work as do classic speys and dees like the Black heron and Ackroyd. If the water's up try a popsicle. If it's clear, a freight train or one of the many flies out there. Fly selection is not like trout or even stripers - you don't need to match any hatch just create the proper impression to the fish.

Best thing to do is get someone to show you around out there if that fits the budget. Take a float trip with Dave on the Sol Duc or Bob Ball on the Hoh (PM for contact info).

Summary - you can't really get an inside scoop, there is no panacea in steelheading... you just have to go out there and keep the fly in the water. If the fish is there for you, hang on tight - these are big thick shouldered alpha trout and this time of year you could set the hook into a hot searun 20# rainbow.

good luck!

bonefishmon
02-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks Juro and Jay! Very informative and straight to the point. Wish I had a month from the look of things. The OP is much bigger than it looks on a map, I'm sure!

Phil

salmoncanyon
12-23-2005, 02:51 PM
My question is

How is the Fishing on the Olympic penn in feb. late?
I am planning on some steelhead fishing but dont know the water.
Any books, web sites, suggestions on best waters and best times, maybee outfitters.
Can use drift boat or walk and wade from road. Spey waters preferable!

Thanks for any suggestions
jz

juro
12-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Thats a very good time to hit the OP. I am sure some of the locals will help you find good water, I might be out that way then so keep the conversation going as the dates approach.

JDJones
12-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks Juro and Jay! Very informative and straight to the point. Wish I had a month from the look of things. The OP is much bigger than it looks on a map, I'm sure!

Phil

I can vouch for that. And it is so pretty, you just have to slow down and soak it all in. Don't be in a hurry. I know that can be difficult for big city types. I were one,,,once upon a time.

The Sol Duc got it's name from the native American's as the river that runs clear. Or something to that nature. I was told it take a really big storm to blow that river out. :Eyecrazy:

Enjoy.