Somerset Show, NJ [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Somerset Show, NJ

juro
01-26-2005, 11:27 AM
I'll be there Sat and Sun... anyone else goin?

Any liquid water near the show area to get a little casting in away from the 'zoo' if it's not too cold?

fishstu
01-26-2005, 11:34 AM
I am going on Friday - all day.
We are leaving New Haven, CT early grab breafast on the way down and staying till closing.

I am looking for long flat wing hackles. Any recomendation which venders at the show might have them.

Stewart.

Salvy
01-26-2005, 01:18 PM
There was a taxidermist right in the entrance way last year selling the best looking flat wing hackles I've ever seen, custom dyed colors, good prices too, sold full or half saddles......

Saltwater Edge has them also...good quality, a bit pricey though.

jimS
01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Keough Hackles, good assortment of long saddles, and good price in quantity.

Will be at the show Fri p.m. thru Sunday p.m.

billg
01-26-2005, 03:21 PM
I will be there as an exhibitor. Hopefully the weather will clear and the ride down will be manageable.

The weather in Somerset is supposed to be decent and the turnout should be very strong. With last Sunday a bust in Marlboro I am sure we will see a better crowd this weekend.

Bill Greiner
Malbaie River Outfitters

Charlie
01-26-2005, 03:47 PM
I will be there the entire weekend hanging out with our newest sponsor “Quebec Sporting”. Ann is letting me tie a few flies in her booth. So stop by and say hi.

Charlie.

flysully
01-26-2005, 05:57 PM
There was a taxidermist right in the entrance way last year selling the best looking flat wing hackles I've ever seen, custom dyed colors, good prices too, sold full or half saddles......

Saltwater Edge has them also...good quality, a bit pricey though.

Unfortunately, we hear SWE will not have an exhibit at Somerset this year.

billg
01-30-2005, 10:26 PM
I just returned from Somerset and must say that the weather was a heck of a lot better than it was for Marlboro.

We met some great folks and our traffic was better than last year. It seemed as though Sunay's crowd was better than it has been in the 3 years I have attended the show.

Bill Greiner
Malbaie River Outfitters

QuebecSporting
01-30-2005, 11:02 PM
On our way back to Québec....

( Juro?? Are you still outside casting???? :confused: I'm getting worried!!)

Brian, Charlie.....Tightlines Guys, Saumon Québec and Tourism Québec team, board menbers, fly tyers .... etc..... who stopped by to say hi!!

Thanks!! We had a great time!!

Screaming reels......for 2005!!

A....

Juro.really!! It's time to go home!!! :confused: Or did you finally reached your front doorbell!!???!!!?? :mad:

juro
01-31-2005, 12:18 AM
:chuckle:

Home safe by midnight Ann :)

As you know any chance to cast here in the frozen north is like striking gold, I could not pull myself away even if there was no anchor and we had to stomp around in the snow to get the d-loop to grip a little bit. Hanging out with our great sponsor Tightlines flyfishing was a blast and they had a phenomenal booth with full coverage of salmon/steelhead spey, saltwater stripers and gamefish, and Delaware trout gear and expertise.

Boy what a show! It was an honor as always to hang out with the venerable sultan of spey Simon Gawesworth himself, chat with John and Amy Hazel (gorgeous Deschutes trout!), casting in the snow with Henrik Mortensen; hob nob with members of the rapidly growing eastern spey community at one of the nation's biggest flyshows. It's going to be a great year for eastern spey claves once the ice thaws! Lots of interest in Spey; I enjoyed ad libbing several quick intro lessons outside Sat and Sun.

**A very special congratulations to Topher Browne who passed his FFF Masters Certification!**

Great to hang out with Spey Laddie again at GLoomis. Also stopped by to thank several of our sponsors. Great pizza and beer session with Ann, Brian and Charlie w/ our sponsor Quebec Sporting. Met Rick Kustich. Looking forward to South Andros with John who could always play professional sports if he got sick of running the lodge. Hooked up with Tom Kurowski of Buffalo Outfitters who is coming on board as a sponsor.

Drank one too many with Dave Skok and other talented folks, saw Scott from Bears Den cruising the show (his show in Taunton coming up soon!), also Mark Sedotti, Rich Murphy, and had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Steve Farrar (although only briefly). Bob Pop was always very busy but great to say hi, Mike Martinek was on the cutting edge with a new 'night fly' you gotta see.

Chatting with co-conspirator JimS made the dream of Acklins one step closer to reality! Chuck Hudak was twisting up some killer flies getting ready for the spring clave and shad clave.

Too many attractions there to name, it's a really big event. My only regret - lack of sleep had me running half-throttle. Hmmm... what a coincidence, that happens at every single one of these events :lildevl:

Great seeing everyone http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/images/icons/icon14.gif

Broadbill
01-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Juro -

Nice mention of you and the CND Atlantis in this Somerset thread on another board:

http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/3986.html

Look for the post from Ladyfish halfway down the thread. Thought you should know.