Marlboro Flyfishing Show [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Marlboro Flyfishing Show

polareyez
01-22-2005, 05:15 PM
I just got back from the show about an hour ago. I don't know if it was the weather forecast or the time of day, but I didn't think there were a lot of people there. It was nice to poke around without someone pushing or someone trying to squeeze in front of me at the demos. If you went, what did you think of the show?

By the way, I searched everywhere for the CAC booth. I guess the membership drive must have ended.... :chuckle:

striblue
01-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Well, I spent all day there hunting down the tyers for the book... had a nice talk with Lou Tabory...and the rest of the tyers at the booths...saw Fish hawk, Chris and his bro, Juro, Slinger and a whole group of guys from Reel-Time... Had lunch with a great artist named Walt Koda.... a good day...but a bit difficult chasing down people.... We will have our booth at Wilmington...and also...stopped in to say Hello to the Quebec sponsors and spent $80 at Down n Trout.

Penguin
01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
I made a Friday touch'n go and returned to the PharSide of the canal for some pre-storm provision resupply and to make ready the Area61 emergency generator.
The $14 entry fee was pressing the limit but, if you wanna' dance, you gotta' pay the band... :confused:
Good to see some familiar faces...Eddie, Dave Fix, Mr Basser, the Bear's Den Meister, SaltWaterEdge Boyz...
A certain purveyor of long hackles was conspicuously absent but, for the most part... Same old stuff, different year...
'E$caped without too much damage...
...Presently...'Hunkered down for the Blizzard of '05... :eek:
(25-35' offshore seas...hurricane conditions...coastal modifications now in progress!)

bonefishmon
01-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Could someone please list the date and directions. Never been.

Phil

Penguin
01-22-2005, 10:26 PM
This year we have a booth at Wilmington again (but not Marlboro). The dates are March 12-13, 2005. The raffle should cover the booth fee in this case, thanks to Paul Fuller. Marlboro's fees are out of the question.

* we need volunteers to help plan and attend the booth

Direction...I-93 about 6 miles north of I-495 at the Shriner's Convention Center... :confused:

juro
01-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Phil,

As Pete says it's at the Shriner's Auditorium in Wilmington a stone's throw from rte 93. I think it's the Salem St exit if my memory serves me.

As the March date approaches we will post directions.

stay warm!

doug
01-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Make that the Concord Street exit, sir.

2HandTheSalt
01-23-2005, 03:02 AM
I can't believe I missed both John and Pete and yet once again I was in the same room with Dave Fix and still I HAVE NEVER MET THE MAN!

I am beginning to wonder if he really exists!!!

JimW
01-23-2005, 07:38 AM
The main reason I went was to check out Mark Sedotti's tying demo on the slammer. We've got that big fly swap going and I wanted more specifics on the keeling the slammer uses. I also took in Mark's presentation on saltwater fishing the Northeast. The presentation was fantastic as was the tying demo.

Bumped into a bunch of the crew.

kennebecfly
01-23-2005, 08:09 AM
As usual had a great time at the show nice to see some of the crew. I was able to talk and get some tips from Enrico Puglisi on his methods. Spent some $ on materials, shook off some shack nastys. We (Chris and I) were glad we left when we did it was storming pretty bad when we hit N.H. Come on spring! :hihi:

FishHawk
01-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Good to see Slinger and his DNA Flies. Nice work. Great to see Chris and Drew.
Bumped into Juro ,talked a little strategy. :lildevl: The reason I went to the show was to test out the new rods. After the test I'm going to build a Winston rod. It's a really sweet rod and of the shops I talked to they all liked this rod.
FishHawk :D

Slinger
01-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Finally made it home from the show, they made us stay another night. All roads were closed. Ended up watching the Pats in the hotel bar with all the other detainees. I thought the show was smaller this year, not nearly as many booths. Saturday was packed till early afternoon then with the inpending storm it thinned out quick. Sunday was empty only 20 paid admissions. I loved it! I had the place to myself. Got a personal tying lesson from Skok, spent a couple of hours picking Ed Mitchells brain and had a one on one lesson with Mark Sedotti and Juro. All the distributors were glad to have someone to talk to, I got more personal teaching than I could have gotten in a year of good weather. It`s gonna take a rocket to outdistance me now.Bought lots of the new Fusion by DNA, boy is this stuff purdy! Also located the last known source for Varivas hooks on the planet. The only downside was the hotel was inundated with youth hockey players, these little heathens terrorized the patrons.
Slinger

DFix
01-27-2005, 10:40 AM
I can't believe I missed both John and Pete and yet once again I was in the same room with Dave Fix and still I HAVE NEVER MET THE MAN!

I am beginning to wonder if he really exists!!!

Pete and jfbasser will tell you I really do exist, though I'm betting some would say you didn't miss much by not crossing paths with me. Spent all day at the UFT booth. Some other time, I expect.