Shad tying recipe [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shad tying recipe

bonefishmon
01-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Shad are on the Striper menu where I live and are 18 inches in average lenght. It takes a very large mouth to swallow or even attempt to swallow a hickory shad. When I hook a shad here from shore, it is next to impossible to land them without getting devoured. I don't like live lining shad on a fly rod. I want a 40 lb.+ on a fly!!!! Lost one on a 12 wt. to a live shad. Spooled!!!!!! If you know how to tie one I'll be more than happy to invite you over for a try. Window of time is from 8 to 9pm. almost every evening here in Mystic, Ct.. Bring your old lines because you'll more than likely lose a few to the rocks and weeds! A Spey rod will be needed!!!!!!!!!

Phil

Adrian
01-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Phil

Just let me know where & when - I'm "loaded for bear" :lildevl:

bonefishmon
01-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Adrian. Stay tuned! Late spring is the start of the shad appearance. When the cows come to graze I will put out a bulletin. Somewhere near the mouth of the Mystic River----Mystic, Ct.. Sean M. has been there with me and I'm sure he'll be back!!!!!!! All are invited. Biggest fish will win the pool when the shad run ends. BIG flies only. No live lining.

Phil

juro
01-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Phil,

My Atlantis and I will be up to the challenge. Count me in :)

Doc Duprey
01-23-2005, 01:20 AM
If I bring my boat, can I play too? Or is this more of a shore thing?

Best regards,

-Doc

grizz0707
01-24-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm always ready to try for the bigguns count me in

FishHawk
01-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm in. Sounds like a Shad Clave to me. :D
FishHawk

bonefishmon
01-26-2005, 06:17 AM
We'll be fishing a point with a minefield of rocks and weeds in close. There is an unused private dock and pilings to the north nearby and has presented a huge challange as the fish, when hooked, tend to want to run up the shoreline to the pilings. A boat would certainly increase the odds but tends to spook the bass. Most of these cows wait right under my nose for the offerings and tend to stack up in the eddies near shore. This has been so reliable over the last five years I've been trying, it's become an obsession seeing those huge mouths right at my feet!
Can't always rely on the cows to be there every night but the shad will be. It's like clockwork! Sun goes down and shad start jumping all over the place! Outgoing tide is usually best. Hey fellas! Get tying those big flies for the auction and please include a Hickory Shad for the mix. I might have to buy all of them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil