Losing a fishing mentor [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Losing a fishing mentor

Dble Haul
01-20-2005, 04:51 PM
My grandfather, Ernest Rollins of Topsham Maine, lost his 13 year battle with cancer today. He died with dignity and peace in his own home.

Were it not for my grandfather and dad, I probably wouldn't have the fishing fever that I suffer from. Grandpa always had time to take me fishing, and he was never at a loss for advice and wisdom when it came to the outdoors. His sense of humor made him the type of person that I just wanted to be around, regardless of what we were doing.

I post this information not as a plea for sympathy, but as notice that we as fishermen have lost a friend and steward of our resources. This man had been at every significant moment in my life, and I will be hard pressed not to think of him this coming fishing season. In fact, I'm quite certain that my first fish of the year will be released with a tear in my eye. I'm grateful that I was able to sit with him and tie a few flies one last time this past autumn.

I will be away from the board for several days while I attend to some family matters. In the meantime, keep building memories with those you love and remember that fishing isn't the most important thing in life.

striblue
01-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Very sorry to hear that Mark...Your memories will stay with you and we'll raise a glass to toast him at CAC this spring. :(

Jimmy
01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Mark,
Sorry for your loss. I never met your grandfather, but I have met his grandson. Mark, If you are anything like your grandfather, then He must have been one hell of a man.

My warmest wishes are with you and your family.

Adrian
01-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Mark, my deepest condolences.

Time is a great healer. In the days and seasons to come, the wounds of loss gradually become replaced by a new and more profound sense of attachment that will become a deep source of joy.

Moose
01-20-2005, 09:19 PM
My sincere condolences. Very lucky you were to be included in his life, and he in yours. You'll both be in my prayers.

teflon_jones
01-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. :( It always saddens me to hear when one of the older generation of fishermen is no longer with us because they all, in my experience, are wonderful people that truly appreciate fishing and nature, and what they bring to the individual and the world.

DEERHAAWK
01-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Simon Peter said," I go a fishing"; and They said,"We will also go with thee"
John 21.3

"Oh the brave Fishers life,
It is the Best of any!
Tis full of pleasure,
Void of Strife,
And tiss beloved of many"!

"Other joys,
Are just toys,
Only this,
Lawful is,
For our skill,
Breeds no ill,
But Content and Pleasure"!

Izzak Walton, The Complete Angler

Your Grandfather is in the company of some great Anglers!

Cascade
01-21-2005, 04:08 AM
When I am gone, release me, let me go.
I have so many things to see and do.
You mustn`t tie yourself to me with tears.
Be thankful for our many wonderful years.

I gave you my love.
You can only guess how much you gave me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you have shown.
But now it`s time I travelled alone.

So grieve a while for me, if grieve you must.
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It`s only for a time that we must part.
So bless the memories within your heart.

I won`t be far away, as life goes on.
So if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you can`t see or touch me, I`ll be near.
And if you listen with your heart, you will hear,
All my love around you, soft and clear.

And then, when you must come this way alone,
I`ll greet you with a smile, and say
"Welcome Home".

May God rest his soul,

Cascade.

FishHawk
01-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Sorry for your loss .
FishHawk

Roop
01-21-2005, 06:39 AM
I'm sorry to learn of your loss.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Roop

juro
01-21-2005, 07:54 AM
When I go, I would like to go like your grandfather.

With dignity and peace in my home, but more importantly as a life-long angler loved by the ones for whom he passed the torch - like his grandson.

May we all pass the torch in our lifetimes as he did.

Juro

OC
01-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Mark,

A grandfather has always been the most important person in many fishermens life.

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Steve

FrenchCreek
01-21-2005, 01:46 PM
The folks you know up here are all sorry for your loss. Somewhere down the line, tie a favorite fly of his and leave it on a rock nearby his favorite waters, I'm sure he'll be around to pick it up and use it, wherever he may be fishing from now on.

removed_by_request
01-21-2005, 07:04 PM
The loss of a loved one is very tough to take my friend, rest assured he is fishing better waters then the whole of us.

Time will make it easier to deal with, and memories will make you smile.

Take care.

flytyer
01-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Mark,

I agree wholeheartedly with Juro, your grandfather left this world with dignity and left a wonderful legacy to his childern, grandchildren and great grandchildren, along with showing many others how to live a rich, full, and purposeful life with honor, integrity, and loyalty. You and the rest of your family are indeed blessed to have had such a wonderful role model and mentor who taught you about the important things in life.

I'm certain your grandfather lived out the last part of his life just like the old coffee commercial used to say, "Good to the last drop".

Russ

artb
01-22-2005, 05:38 AM
Very Sorry Mark to hear of your loss. I know that you have many fond memories of him. May God be with you, and your family.
ArtB

John Desjardins
01-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Mark, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. As one who also caught the fishing bug from their grandfather I remember him everytime I go fishing.

Dble Haul
01-26-2005, 08:19 AM
All-

It's been a rough five days, but I am now back at work and progressing forward like the rest of my family. I sincerely thank you for all of your well wishes, and am honored to call you all my friends. I told my grandmother that there were far more people thinking of our family than she was aware of, and this thread confirms it.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.