Flylines? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flylines?

10-10-2001, 06:45 AM
Just wondering what everyone is using for flylines, I have had failures with just about all of them. The latest being a ScientificAnglers Striper. This line cracked, the running part of the line separated from the core. This line was only two years old, and was a line that Scientific Anglers sent me to replace another line that failed. The best line that I have found so far, recommended by Capt. Ray, is Cortland 444 Intermediate Camo. Has anyone found a better line? I just counted, I have 22 flylines of various weights, and styles, from a 2 weight to a 14 weight.I guess next year I am going to have to buy a couple of more Cortland Camo.

10-10-2001, 09:41 AM
Art -

I've had great luck with the 444 int clear, four seasons. Also the Rio Deep Sea 350 grain has served me well. The one I have is a pre-production demo and it's a gray running line version, I've seen others with a semi-trans blue running line since then.

I also have a full sink type IV S/A wetcel that is a few years old and still working well.

I plan to test out the advanced coating technology from Airflo net season, the one that is non-crackable.

Most other lines have given me fits.

My freshwater lines last me many years, the SWFF scene really abuses line in my basket anyway.

See you this weekend,

10-10-2001, 11:04 AM
Art, I have 444 Floating and Int. and no problems over the past three-four years. I also have Airflo clear int. that hasn't presented a problem in two seasons. I want to try the camo so I guess I'll go on your/Ray's recommendations and get one or two to try. Have fun this weekend. Hope your new rod serves you well.

10-10-2001, 01:29 PM
Weird. The only flylines I have ever had trouble with are the Cortland freshwater lines.