Hardy Perfect 3 3/4 inches [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hardy Perfect 3 3/4 inches

jjohnson
01-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Well my dad is finally retiring and my brother and I think a good gift from his boys would be a Hardy perfect 3 3\4 with a silver line guide (his preference). I know he will love it. I have been checking the usual spaces ebay, Jim Adams, etc I was wondering if anyone out there has any new good leads on old perfects?

Thanks
JJ

andre
01-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Righty or Lefty? Len Codella is always a good place, Jim Williams is another, Bone Fish Bob in Islamorada FL also get some in but is usually high on the $$$. I think the first thing is nail the specifics right/left, era, condition, have you considered one of the vintage reels?

jjohnson
01-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Either Right of left hand. Good condition. Era doesn't matter that much as long as it is fishable. This reel is meant to be fished and that is what he will want to do with it.

JJ

andre
01-18-2005, 10:46 PM
I forgot Martin Keane Ashley Falls, Ma out in Juro neck (are there NECKS in MA?) of the woods. 413 229 7988. I'll try and give you a shout just hammered at work.

andre

sinktip
01-18-2005, 10:50 PM
JJ,

I have a lovely 4 1/4" for sale but you already knew that :wink:

'tip

KerryS
01-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Sinktip,

How much?

sinktip
01-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Kerry,

I just PMed you.

'tip

rich_simms
01-20-2005, 12:43 AM
JJ,

I have a lovely 4 1/4" for sale but you already knew that :wink:

'tip

This isn't one of those "wife forces sale" deals is it? :razz:

andre
01-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Call me before you act.

Steve_sullivan
01-21-2005, 06:13 AM
Well my dad is finally retiring and my brother and I think a good gift from his boys would be a Hardy perfect 3 3\4 with a silver line guide (his preference). I know he will love it. I have been checking the usual spaces ebay, Jim Adams, etc I was wondering if anyone out there has any new good leads on old perfects?

Thanks
JJ

What is the big deal with the hardy reels. I have a old hardy lrh that was my grandpa's, and I see they sell for about $230 new. What is the deal with that? Why not buy a orvis battenkill in appropriate size that is $100 cheaper, is barstock, and the drag will stop a much bigger fish. The drag on the lrh is almost no drag..

Not that I dislike my lrh, I have it on my gramps old glass rod and it is a gread dry fly setup.

KerryS
01-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Steve,

Sometimes the aesthetics (sp) of fishing is more important then the cost.

andre
01-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Steve, I don't think it is just Hardy's some people just don't want the lastest and "greatest". People just look at things from different perspective. I have a 71' 280sl with 61K original miles. I have a close friend who is into fast cars, he suggested I sell it and buy something like Mitu Evo or Sub WRX. Now, I see dozens of those cars weekly, they are faster, quicker, handle better, get better MPG, safer.....but there is more to it.

sinktip
01-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Steve,

They are not for everybody but it is hard to deny that an old Hardy has personality. A modern barstock, mass produced, space age drag reel is a wonderful tool but an old handmade reel is a friend. Not that you need to go old to get the same thing, there are a few modern day reelmakers that turn out works of art with every bit the personality. (And as soon as one of them gets a click pawl model, I will need to start looking to sell off thing so I can afford one. :smile: )

sinktip

MJC
01-21-2005, 11:10 AM
All I can say is that last Fall one of my "young" customers was beside himself with joy when I loaned him one of my #2 Salmons while his "new" Orvis barstock was on the sidelines with mal de mer. Apparently 3 days on the Rogue had been to much for it.

KerryS
01-21-2005, 06:03 PM
. (And as soon as one of them gets a click pawl model, I will need to start looking to sell off thing so I can afford one. :smile: )

What is it going to take to get someone to make a click pawl reel with a palming rim and large enough to handle a spey line?

Saki
02-01-2005, 10:45 AM
This is an interesting thread to a newbie. Lifetime fly fisherman, streams, lakes/ponds, by kayak etc in New England.
Found this forum as I am researching my Hardy Perfect reel, inherited years ago. Its a 2 7/8" in great shape and I've been fishing with it for over 20 years. I am still dim as to the date of this reel but it is a Duplicated Mk2 w/ circular logo, gunmetal gray with a nice patina, brass (ribbed) foot and no line guide. Can anyone tell me more? George (Saki)