A new epoxy minnow pattern... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A new epoxy minnow pattern...

Henry
01-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Hey folks,

Been playing around extending the hook on epoxy minnow patterns with a paper-clip. Works real good as you can see.

Best regards,

Henry

Adrian
01-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Nice looking pattern and novel extended body idea. My one true visual take with a yellowfin tuna was on an epoxy minnow many years ago. We were fishing deep and the tuna followed the fly up and stopped. I stopped the retrieve and let the minnow dead-drop. The tuna had the minnow almost balanced on the end of its nose - I'll swear we made eye contact :lildevl: I guess it just couldn't resist, grabbed the fly and took off tearing into the depths. :smokin:

TallFlyguy
01-18-2005, 02:50 PM
That looks really good. Have you had a chance to see how it "swims". Is it tunable so it will run true?

You might have to post a few pics showing us how you did that. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Tall

OC
01-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Henery that sure looks edible! Just got to thinking about the paper clip and what about a spring from a ball point pen? Stretch it out so it looses most of its memory, cut it the right length, same as the paper clip and you may have even more action and still keep the tail from wraping around hook on the cast. :eek:

Henry
01-18-2005, 11:59 PM
For Tallflyguy, it swims great in my tub but when I tried it in my backyard pool...well...it just sort of bounced off the ice...grin!

For OC, that's a neat idea regarding the spring. It's not really applicable with this fly though because the whole fly is coated with epoxy save for the tail.

I tied it up especially with Blues and other toothy critters in mind. Should be able to nail a few without it getting chewed to ribbons.

Best regards guys,

Henry

RayStachelek
01-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Henry....

Ah!....truely a glass minnow in every sense of the word and shape. It's fun playing with epoxy. Nice work, nice patten. Very creative.

Some other ideas- might add glitter to the sides. You can do this during the last coat for brightness or during the first coat for protection. Also think about fraying the mylar tubing at the tail to enhance the fly action.

A rattler could be added also to the belly section.

teflon_jones
01-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Henry....

Ah!....truely a glass minnow in every sense of the word and shape. It's fun playing with epoxy. Nice work, nice patten. Very creative.

Some other ideas- might add glitter to the sides. You can do this during the last coat for brightness or during the first coat for protection. Also think about fraying the mylar tubing at the tail to enhance the fly action.

A rattler could be added also to the belly section.

So where does this cross from being a fly to being a lure? Maybe I should start a new thread on this one... ;)