You know it's freakin cold when... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: You know it's freakin cold when...

juro
01-17-2005, 08:04 AM
You have twice as many idle fly rods as you have degrees on the thermometer!

You are considering a business commuter flight to DC just to spey cast in the Potomac for the day!

A meaningless pre-season Red Sox game sounds as exciting as the world series because it's in Ft.Meyers Florida!

You have to wear expedition weight clothing to make the walk from the parking lot to the Marlboro fly show doors!

What I would do for some liquid water that's not coming from a faucet!

:Eyecrazy:

Moose
01-17-2005, 09:22 PM
I was out all day in 50 degree weather throwing a long belly floater on the CND Skagit, but you caught as many fish as I did today :mad:

It's not really rubbing it in if we both suffered, is it? OK, so maybe you suffered a little more :wink: Here's to winter steelheading in T shirts!!....

kush
01-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Have I got a deal for you! Come and help me clean out the 3" in my basement. :mad: :eek: My daughter bailed (10 - 5 gallon buckets) while I rigged up a siphon system with a garden hose. :whoa: :whoa: Right now, it looks like things are under control (sort of).

Last week we had freezing temps and snow on the ground, yesterday snow turned to rain, today Pineapple Express (strong sub-tropical low) which always brings tons of rain. Combined with ground that hasn't had time to thaw, the water had nowhere to go.......except into my basement. Apparently we will have four more days of this and there isn't a small sump pump to be found anywhere within 100 miles....believe me I tried.

So, I've got plenty of water, want some??

juro
01-17-2005, 10:11 PM
YIKES!!

Of course I meant my begrudgings tongue in cheek, but it's not too far from being foot in mouth :eek: :cool:

Hope we are all surviving the angler's lament here on the northern hemisphere... winter - bah humbug! :)

DEERHAAWK
01-17-2005, 11:12 PM
MEXICOMEXICOMEXICOMEXICOMEXICO

Si? I go now? :D

Senior Hawk

fcch
01-18-2005, 07:19 AM
You know it's cold when you don't have to convert fahrenheit to celsius.

-40 is -40 in on both scales.

Dble Haul
01-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Five degrees here in central CT, with sustained wind gusts of 25 mph.

Winter is finally here, and I've had enough of it already. :eek:

OC
01-18-2005, 08:55 AM
You want water we got water for you in the PNW. I feel for Kush but he is not alone. Seattle had 2.39 inches of rain yesterday, new record. The pass has been closed for over 24 hours due to ice and flooding. Yesterday morning it was just 16 degrees on the pass yet it was raining hard, THAT'S RIGHT 16 DEGREES and RAIN! What a mess that must be. Rivers are out and flooding everywhere. Last week cold, I worked in Spokane and it was - 12, now it's 50 degrees around here. You want more extreme weather? Hawaii had snow and now they are getting 50 foot plus surf closing all beaches on the North and West shores, even the surfers are staying out of the water.

Let's close up shop around the country and all go tropical fishing somewhere much further south than Central Florida. And pitchers and catchers are less than 3 weeks away!

removed_by_request
01-18-2005, 09:01 AM
We (Chicago-land area) got about 5" of rain last week, then we dipped into the single and minus digits.

Ground is frozen solid, any H2O trapped in the perma frost keeps running into the sump back out and back in again. Got so cold that there is ice in the sump's outlet pipe.

Winter just plain sucks.

Charlie
01-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Two degrees and minus 9 wind chill factor in sunny Buffalo NY. :Eyecrazy: Luckily I got my first steelhead of the year last week before things froze up. With the show season under way I wonít be able to fish for a few weeks anyway. See you in Marlboro Juro. First drink is on me!

Charlie.

P.S. To you guys that suffered damage because of the weather, that sucks. Hope it doesnít cost you too much.

flyjkol
01-18-2005, 07:04 PM
This past weekend was one of the coldest Ive seen in Omaha. Temps went dow to -20 F. Needless to stay I still went ice fishing, 2 inches more of ice formed in 4 hours :Eyecrazy:

teflon_jones
01-19-2005, 06:55 AM
You know it's cold when...

The furnace in your house cranks non-stop but it's still 59 degrees inside! :eek:

This is my first winter in my new house and I'm finding out that it doesn't hold heat very well. My oil bill is going to kill me! I think I'm going to drill some test holes in the walls to see if there's any insulation in there. I have a funny feeling there not. It's a 100 yr old house with the original horsehair plaster walls in most places.

fcch
01-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Update,....

You know it's cold when the local school board changes the rules to stay open down to -50 (including wind chill factor) or else we'd have to close for the whole week.

OC
01-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Seattle at 0530 when I went to work had the same temp as Phoenix, AZ. had at 0530. 55 F degrees out and flooding everywhere.

Lake Quinault had 12.29 inches of rain yesterday! Those poor rivers over on the OP have most likely, between snow melt and rain have been scraped clean. Hopefully weatherman Moonlight can give us detailed report. :confused:

bd12345678
01-20-2005, 06:34 PM
It looks like I may get hammered by a storm this weekend. It's either going to be a total hit or miss. If it really does come this way we'll get 1-3 ft. of snow here in MA! Maybe that will close school already; the superintendent is from Northern Vermont, and her idea of a snow day is wildly out of proportion with what most locals believe! :mad: On top of that, itís flipping cold! It's currently -10, and dropping.

teflon_jones
01-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Update,....

You know it's cold when the local school board changes the rules to stay open down to -50 (including wind chill factor) or else we'd have to close for the whole week.

On a similar note, you know it's cold when school is cancelled for an entire week because the buses won't start because the diesel fuel has turned to jelly in the fuel lines. (This happened to me in high school in upstate NY, temp was close to -40 without windchill!) I grew up on a farm and we had to work anyway, with windchills at -70 and less. I was COLD!

fcch
01-21-2005, 08:41 AM
TJ,

Funniest thing about school closing is that when it's -10 on the weekends, the neighbourhood is empty and the youngsters are all on the video games.

When schools close, they stay home from school and go outside to play. :confused:

Adrian
01-21-2005, 10:05 AM
You know it's cold when the crime rate in DC drops to zero :lildevl:

That happened back in January '96 as I recall. Other than being stranded back in the UK for a week at the time, the almost complete absence of any crime on the streets in the NorthEast made big news :smokin:

fcch
01-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Adrian,

When sight fishing, look over your shoulder from time to time, you never know who's behind you

http://www.njflyfishing.com/photopost/data/500/291It_Happened_to_Me.JPG

Ok, ok, old photo, but neat anyway. I can't give credit where credit is due as the original url is missing from the image I parsed.

fcch
01-21-2005, 10:45 AM
You know it's cold here when there no mosquitoes nor black flies :hihi:

JimW
01-21-2005, 11:33 AM
OK now it's cold. I looked at the digital thermometer this morning and I thought it read 23f, I thought hey that's not so bad, it really warming up, but it was actually 2.3 :(

That is apparently a heat wave compared to some the temps in the is thread. Where are you people living on the dark side of the moon or something :hihi: Well if this keeps up there might be a skim coat on the canal. Looks like we'll get a break next week here in the NorthEast.

fcch
01-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Jim,

Funny how little mental lapses can give us rude suprises.

My son was in the local flyshop picking up an order. Some visiters from south of 49 were looking around.

The owner asked Vincent how the fishing was on the weekend. Vince replied, "Pretty slow, but dad got a brookie between 6 and 7

The visiting anglers laughed saying that the wild trout at home were generally bigger than 6-7 inches. There was an uncomfortable silence from the shop owner, then he explained that on our home waters, we mesure trout in pounds, not inches.
:biggrin: