Sign-Up Sheet for the Monster Fly Swap [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sign-Up Sheet for the Monster Fly Swap

doogue
01-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Please respond to this thread if you would like to participate in this swap.

Here are the rules:
1. Seven flies per person is all it takes to be a part of this swap. One goes to the meister or to the raffle at the Wilmington show - depending on how much I like the flies!

2. There is no deadline to sign-up for this swap.

3. The deadline for mailing the flies to me is February 28th, 2005. Please enclose $3 with your flies to cover return shipping costs.

4. Please send your address with the flies so that I can mail an awesome assortment of giant flies back to you.

5. If possible, please send recipes and tying instructions with your flies. If you do then I promise to put together a web page (posted here or elsewhere) that contains all of the patterns - with tying instructions.

Remember that this is a swap for flies that mimic monster herring or other baitfish patterns. For example, I will most likely tie a Sedotti Slammer that is roughly 8 inches long.

I am getting psyched to start tying again!

-Mike

doogue
01-16-2005, 10:25 PM
So far the following members have signed up for the swap:

doogue
grizz0707
GregD
juro
JimW

JimW
01-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Feb 28th, I can handle that. I'll either go with buffies or the slammer. I know how to tie buffies but recently have become very interested in Sedotti's pattern with the keel. I plan on catching his demo at the show. I'll post the pattern here.

Mike, Thanks for organizing this.

striblue
01-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Mike, I would add for the rules that each participant enclose a couple dollars for mailing costs ... If you need to buy small boxes and stamps, each mail back can cost $3 or$4 ....AND don't forget the extra fly for the Meister... the meister obviously keeps the fly or they become part of the collection that we raffle off at the Wilmington show.. so it is really 7 flies...but 6 for the actual swap....just two points I thought I would add to help...

doogue
01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the advice John.

JimW - I added you to the list. And I love the slammer. I don't fish as much as many of you on the board but I have caught my best fish of the year for the past 2 years on slammers. Then again I fish with them during most of my outings in May and early June.

I know the Sean McDermott likes them too. He has enjoyed good luck with them in RI.

Maybe I will tie some slammers in black for the swap. I tied up some awesome night slammers last year. They really move some water and they have a nice black profile.

-Mike

Tod D
01-18-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm in. Surface/Popper fly swap to be posted shortly.

doogue
01-19-2005, 07:31 AM
doogue
grizz0707
GregD
juro
JimW
Tod D

BirdFish
01-19-2005, 01:12 PM
I'd like to take part in this Big Fly swap. I'll tie up a big Herring fly.
Dave Williams

doogue
02-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Just a bump and a call for others to add their name to the list below. With this crew we know that there will be some stellar flies in the swap!

Just a reminder, the deadline for mailing the flies to me is February 28th, 2005. Still plenty of time to sign-up!

Here is the present tying line-up:
doogue
grizz0707
GregD
juro
JimW
Tod D
BirdFish

JimW
02-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Mike, Are we talking 7 or 8 flies. I managed to get out to the Baymen's TNFT(Thursday night fly tying) and knock out 6 and plan on tying 4 more of the same pattern.

doogue
02-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Jim,

Seven flies will do it. I want to stay with the original rules so that nobody sues me for the carpal tunnel they develop tying that one extra fly!

Thanks,

Mike

grizz0707
02-14-2005, 09:29 AM
flies will be shipped today here is a peek

JimW
02-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Not a great image but you get the idea. That's a 7/0 hook. Mike, could you PM me your mailing address?

GregD
02-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Hey guys,

I'm running behind after a weekend plumbing problem, and under estimating the time commitment for the new squid pattern I'm tying. I'm hoping to have them finished up by tuesday or wednesday night. I hope it's not too much of a delay.

Greg.

Tod D
02-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Greg - I'm right with you & running late. Mike - I'll aim to have them in the mail by Wednesday if that's ok!

doogue
03-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Seeing as I am late as well I guess all of this is OK. :wink:

Let's reset. Just try to get the flies to me by March 15th. I would like to get them photographed and shipped off to you guys for arrival before April 1st.

I hope that is OK for everyone.

Many thanks to grizz for being the timely participant. The flies look awesome.

Look for a PM with my address.

Thanks,

Mike

doogue
03-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Jim,

I received your flies and they are:
A. Impressively huge
B. Very fishy looking

Thanks,

Mike

GregD
03-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Well I'm almost done guys, sorry for the delay on these flies. The patterns are quite large and time consuming,. I just finished the fifth and am about out of craft fur for the sixth. I've combed and tied alot more than I figured per fly, But I' ve never tied fly's like this big squid before. I think you'll see what I mean shortly. I can shoot the five out now and the remaining 2 flies out next week after I reload on craft fur and tie it up. That way everyone can get flies by April 1st.

Greg

doogue
03-16-2005, 07:33 AM
April 1st it is - just in time for the cows!

JimW
03-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Mike, Thanks for the kind words. Let's hope the fish that bite 'em are proportional to the flies :devil:

Come on Greg you're holding up the migration :wink: I can't wait to see those flies, with all the talk of dragging squid through the south side rips I've been looking at the options for imitating these sea darts. With the limited time I've had for tying lately it may end up putting an old rag on a hook and seeing it that atlantis will chuck it. :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy:

CascoBay
03-16-2005, 02:59 PM
I will do up some big Hollow Herring for the swap! :lildevl: 10-12 inchers that don't foul! I will have 'em done this week. Where should I send them?

Aaron

doogue
03-16-2005, 06:02 PM
CascoBay,

You get me the herring by April 1st and you are in.

Check your PM for my address.

Thanks,

Mike

CascoBay
03-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Doogue,
Thanks for the extention...... The herring are ready to make their migration from Maine down to NH :lildevl: . I will pop them in the mail today. I can't wait. I am ready for some spring Twinkies!

Hope you enjoy them,
Aaron

doogue
03-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Looking forward to seeing these herring in person!

doogue
03-20-2005, 08:30 PM
GregD and CascoBay: I received your excellent flies.

GregD with the huge squid and CascoBay with the herring that he photographed for an earlier post.

Looking good.

Thanks.

GregD
03-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Hey Mike,

Glad the flies made it OK. I re-loaded on Craft fur yesterday and will crank out the last two this week. Jim, I promise I won't hold up the migration much longer ;-).

Thanks,
Greg.

GregD
03-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Hey Mike,

I finished up the last 2 and will be sending them out right away. Perhaps I 'll find a nice big pattern that isn't quite so time consuming next time.

Thanks,
Greg.

doogue
03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Greg,

I hear you on time consuming flies.

I decided to tie some large Sedotti Slammer style flies after tinkering with a Grocery Fly.

I know how to whip up the Slammers so they were a good choice. Some of these flies take loads of time.

Thanks for getting the other flies to me.

Mike

doogue
03-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Fellas,

The time has come that we need to think about wrapping up the swap.

This is a final chance for those that signed up and cannot complete the task to back out with dignity. Otherwise it is time to pony up and get flies in the mail.

I will wait until Monday morning, April 4th to decide to send out the flies that I have. If, at that time, I know that others have flies in the mail then I will wait before I send out the flies.

What do you guys think? With flies from myself, CascoBay, Grizz, GregD and JimW we could still chalk this up as a good experience.

Anyone else plan on sending flies to me soon?

No pressure, just curious.

Thanks,

Mike