Acklins Dreamin' [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Acklins Dreamin'

juro
01-16-2005, 12:31 PM
The sluggish warmth of the tropical air lies heavy on my sleepless eyes as the shadows of waving palms streak into the windows in the Acklins cabana we call home for a week. Arms cramped from tossing and rolling on an unfamiliar bed and forehead banging a heartbeat from over doing the tequila on the first night celebrations, my legs take over and pounce me like a cat from the matress and hands start grabbing fastdry clothing and a fly box and my feet run, not walk to the waters edge to search for morning tailers.

Stepping into the gin-clear water, the half-light reveals small side-running crabs and young snappers fleeing from the mangrove roots. The bottom is squishy but not mucky, and a coral flat breaks the longshore current along a seemingly endless flat stretching into Columbus' passage centuries ago in this very spot. I feel the current on my legs once on the coral base, and face the lee of the current and wait as fidgety as a school boy waiting to be dismissed to recess. The air is a mix of muggy and new, warm and cool as the soft gusts blend the sounds, sights and smells of this tropical paradise into a morning calm before the searing sun returns to bake the white back into the beaches and the dreamlike turquiose hues back into the sea.

But wait... over there - a waving silver-gray sickle, no three. Head on and coming fast... the water is quivering... wow there must be 50... no 200 bones! Damn not enough line out, strip-strip-strip, flip cast! wait..... wait.......... strip - strip - stop.... strip - BANG! zzzZZzzzeeeeeEEEEEEE! zzzzzzzzzzzzZZZzZZZEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! YAH babay!!! Wake-up call on the silver bullet express.

No momma I don't want to wake up from this dream yet! :tongue:

n1gdo
01-16-2005, 04:33 PM
It was a dark and stormy night....

ooops wrong dream.....

sorry...

never mind...

juro
01-16-2005, 09:14 PM
It was a dark and stormy night....

:chuckle: :hihi: :tongue:

juro
01-16-2005, 09:26 PM
The real story...

I was flying back alone from a second honeymoon of sorts with my wife, and her parents in Aruba. We had to get separate flights because hers cost a fortune and I used freq flyer miles. Anyway, I was admiring the jewels of the carribean when suddenly the image of bonefishing nirvana appeared in the window... a sickle-shaped island with an expanse of flats that defied my imagination. I scrambled for a pen and drew the shape so I might identify it later. The plane was much higher passing over the rest of the archipelago so my perception was not as keen, although Andros was clearly the giant of the group and countless other spectacles followed as the flight progressed. I scanned maps and Nasa images to find out that indeed what I had seen was Acklins and Crooked Island. I vowed to fish them as soon as the opportunity arose. And so a couple of years later, the dream will come true.

You only live once and there are fewer and fewer virtually undiscovered fisheries each season. I'm excited that this is coming together, to say the least.

n1gdo
01-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Dave(2) and I feel the same excitement...we have planned to get together to tie and check equipment etc....

Its quite a thing how you saw that place from the plane and vowed to go and now you have made it possible for several of us to go to a place we normally would never be able to see.....

Can we leave today ???????????

bonefishmon
01-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Juro. Have you flown over the Berry Islands yet? Same sensation for me. Maybe one our future boneclaves.

Phil