Sinking Line Advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sinking Line Advice

zugbugz
01-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey, looking for opinions on the best sinking lines out there...specifically, I'm looking for intermediates and type I's, II and IV. I've got a few sink tips already but am now ready to try the full sinkers for draggin' and twitchin' buggers for trout and smallies at various depths. The lines will be used with 5 and 6 wt rods, so I'm looking at those sizes or corresponding grain sizes (150-200). I'm leaning toward SA lines, but definitely am open to suggestions - any help would be appreciated! :D

Zugbugz - Arizona

teflon_jones
01-19-2005, 11:58 AM
I have two sinking lines:
SA Wet Tip Express 150
something else that I'm drawing a blank on... (I'll have to check tonight when I get home!)

The Wet Tip Express is a great line and I highly recommend it. The second one has better sink characteristics in my opinion, but doesn't cast as well. I prefer a line that casts better and doesn't sink quite as well. Both of these have been used for fishing buggers to deep trout.

I'll get the name of the second line tonight...

troutslayerny
01-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I love my Cortland Clear Camo Intermediate. I wouldn't suggest any other Cortland Line, but this one casts incredibly well (even after 4 years of heavy fishing).

zugbugz
01-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks Troutslayerny...just the info I'm looking for (4 years tells the tale). I'm looking at that line, plus Rio's Aqualux "Lake" Clear Intermediate and SA's intermediates. How does it do for strike detection?

Can anybody else make suggestions for Type 3 and Type 6 full sinking lines? So far, looking at SA's Mastery DC sinkers, Rio's DC sinkers as well as Cortland's 444SL lines. Anyone had any experience with any of these?

Zugbugz - Arizona :)