Aruba Bone Que [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Aruba Bone Que

SteelBoneguy
01-13-2005, 02:35 PM
I have been to Aruba once before on my honeymoon (fished everday for hours on end, I have the best wife ever) :) I caught one baby bonefish by the wreak at malmok (sp). I lost a nice bigger bone to coral he was well into my backing ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. When I was fishing I was usually waist deep which made sight fishing difficult. I did a lot of blind casting, but when I had that big bone I thought I saw the a bone so I casted in the directionr and when he hit the fly I was varrying my retieve strip, strip pause strip pause. I felt the hit strip set the hook and he was off to the races. Feels like yesterday. I am going back to Aruba Feb. 11th and am working on my salt flies everyday. Tying gotchas, chrt/wht clousers, and white poppers. At the North end of the island by the light house I lost two big Cudas to poppers last year. Sorry for rambling like crazy I am very exicted to go back. :)
My ques. 1. Am I wading out to far? How far should I wait out to catch these aruba bones. Should I only be out like knee/calf deep?
2. Any other flies or color combos should I tye?
3. Any other tips I should know or spots to try.
4. I hear there is Aruba bonefish club I would love to join if it was ok with everyone. I'll be posting a full report when I get back to Cold WI.

t.kelly
01-14-2005, 09:05 AM
I fished malmok in late Oct. and caught two bones near the wreak. You are right about sighting fish in waist deep water, its very hard to do. Both my fish were caught blind casting. I was fishing just to the inside of the reef that runs diagonally out from shore and casting to the sandy patches on the reef.The fly that took both fish was a small shrimp pattern tied on a #8 nymph hook. Its simple to tie, just a little light green crinkle hair for the tail.Very small dumbell eyes tied clouser style near the point of the hook. A dubbed on body of cream Antron. Then some more light green crinkle hair tied in clouser style as the wing. I then use an orange magic marker to to give a little extra color. If I had more time to fish the flats near the airport and Baby Beach looked intresting. Looking foward to your report and Good luck!

SteelBoneguy
01-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for replying. Yeah it is very hard sight casting in waist deep water. That is why I'm wondering how deep/tatics other people are fishing who have had success. I have never seen the fish tailing like other people have said they have seen in Aruba. I'm also trying to figure out the tides schedule. If anyone has tide info for aruba I would appreciate it. Thanks for the fly recipie sounds like a good one :D . Hopefully some more members can shed some light on how deep to go for these bones, or if waist deep is the only way to go. I can't wait for my next trip!! Feb. better come quick!! Its cold in WI today -4 Brrrrrrrr :eek: thanks again

SteelBoneguy
01-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey I thought there was a Aruba bonefish club around here? I know your not all ice fishing like in my home state. Come on ya'll help a fellow aruba bonefish pursuer out.

juro
01-22-2005, 11:40 PM
There is a ton of info available in past reports, with some great pictures. Just do a search (see above tool bar) on the work "Aruba" and you will get more than you need. If you need more, just let us know and I am sure someone will help out.

SteelBoneguy
01-24-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm pretty sure that I have read all the past info posted here on aruba bonefish. However I don't think I was specific enough in my last que. Which is my fault. My main and only que now is how deep is everyone wading for these silver bullets. When I had and lost my bonefish I was waist deep and had a really hard time sight fishing, so I was mainly blind fishing. But I have read some people were seeing tailing fish. Which would be awesome to see. I'm afraid I am wading to far out. How far out should I be wading? ankle deep, knee deep, or staying on the beach walking looking for fish? I'm mainly a trout/steelhead fisherman and have only salt fished a handful of trips. I will be fishing by the wreak at malmok. Thanks everyone, I leave for Aruba Feb 11th!! :biggrin: I need all the help I can get. OH I'm sorry one more que if anyone knows where to find the tide schedule for aruba I would really appreciate it. I have checked several time using google and have found tides for everywhere but aruba. I thought once in aruba you could find what the tides are on tv when the post the weather but they don't. I am in debt to all and will for sure post my report when I get back home. Thanks again.

arubaman
02-15-2005, 04:32 PM
IŽll help everybody out with the tide schedule, IŽll make a post on it...