"Chartreuse Fluffy Dee" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: "Chartreuse Fluffy Dee"

McIntyre
01-12-2005, 09:15 AM
One of the flies from this winters experimenting.

QuebecSporting
01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Nice fly!!

http://www.QuebecSporting.com/Photos/110-1019_IMG.jpg
You may have first cast!! :)

A....

fcch
01-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Nice fly.

Hey, question: ... seems lots of rivers use "fluffy" flies. Either your flows are higher than my home waters, or your salmon have bigger "appetites". (Like Ann's Orange Fantom)

Seems I use more "thin" flies Like rats and C'booms and not just low water models. Is this cultural, regional or experience.

flytyer
01-12-2005, 02:48 PM
McIntyre,

Very nice. I do have a reminder for you and others who post a fly though. Please include the fly's dressing so others who like it could also tie it. Thanks.

McIntyre
01-14-2005, 01:54 AM
Very nice. I do have a reminder for you and others who post a fly though. Please include the fly's dressing so others who like it could also tie it. Thanks.

Here is the recipe:

Hook: Alec Jackson River Dee Lower Water Gold
Tag: Oval silvertinsel and yellow silk
Tail: A few fibres from yellow turkey marabou
Butt: Black ostrich
Body: 2/5 chartreuse silk and 3/5 chartreuse polar dub
Rib: Oval silvertinsel
Hackle: Chartreuse turkey marabou feather
Throut: Partridge
Wing: 2 strips from peacock wing feather tied V style

grouseman
01-14-2005, 07:35 AM
As I've been tying spey-style flies (or trying and learning), ie thin-bodied, long-hackled, low-riding winged flies, I've wondered about the purpose of the wing. Baitfish or crustaceans don't have wings. To my eye, in the water, when swimming the fly under tension, the wing seems to reduce movement.

flytyer
01-14-2005, 03:46 PM
The wing on a dee style fly helps keep the fly riding hook point down on a swing in faster water. And the wing on a spey helps keep the fly riding hook point down on a swing in slower water. Also, the scissors shape of the dee wing adds quite a bit of subtle movement as it swings. The mallard wing on a spey fly also helps keep the hackle on the bottom and sides of the hook, which aides in movement below the hook shank and in preventing the apparent fly size from changing from small to large diameter. A tented hackle tip wing on a spey fly adds some subtle movement to the top of the fly, in addition to keeping the hackle below the hook shank.

Admittedly, dee wings, spey wings of bronze mallard or of tented hackle tips are not the easiest to master and tie in properly; but the result is worth the trouble and time to learn how to tie them.

Willie Gunn
01-14-2005, 04:04 PM
The wing on a dee style fly helps keep the fly riding hook point down on a swing in faster water. And the wing on a spey helps keep the fly riding hook point down on a swing in slower water.

Interesting,
The Spey is a faster flowing river than the Dee, in fact; ----- the Spey is famed for the strength of its flow------John Ashley-Cooper

flytyer
01-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Malcolm-

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was under the impression that the spey flies were used on the Spey in pools and guts (or edges) - the slower water-, not in riffles, and that dee flies were used in all water types on the Dee. I have also understood that the Dee is a much larger river than the Spey with a fairly uniform flow in its longer pools and runs and that the Dee carries a much larger volume of water than the Dee making its current look much slower than it is.

highlander2
01-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Man, that is a really nice tie!!! I really like those colors ( the yellow and green) for low water conditions on the local rivers in spring. That has always been a killer combo on the Sauk for me.

Willie Gunn
01-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Malcolm-

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was under the impression that the spey flies were used on the Spey in pools and guts (or edges) - the slower water-, not in riffles, and that dee flies were used in all water types on the Dee. I have also understood that the Dee is a much larger river than the Spey with a fairly uniform flow in its longer pools and runs and that the Dee carries a much larger volume of water than the Dee making its current look much slower than it is.

Flytyer,
I will respond at greater length on Sunday, predawn here and have to rush to fish the upper Ness system for a springer.

McIntyre
01-15-2005, 06:46 AM
In case it would be of interest to someone I post a picture showing a tecnique for tying the Dee wings. There is many other good ways to do this, but this is how I do it.

flytyer
01-15-2005, 04:26 PM
McIntyre,

Wonderful series of photos showing this method of doing dee wings. As the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words". I've also seen the same method used to bind and crush the tie in of the feathers for married wings. But I don't think very many folks are familiar with this method. Well done!

Undertaker
01-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Excellent demonstration there, McIntyre. I've seen the method described in books, but it always sounded finicky and difficult. Your pictures make it seem quite simple and a far nicer way of going about setting the wings. I've always used the reverse thread method, and the results have never satisfied me. Might start tying Dees again.

Thanks

Matt