Coating [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Coating

AdrianV
01-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Last Sunday was our first trip for sea bass. Conditions were not exactly perfect with a strong wind (5 BF) blowing from the front on our casting arms. Hard work but with fast rods and fast sinking lines still possible. I just bought a new Rio DC Full Sink #9w and was using this line for the third time, always using a stripping basket. After a couple of hours of casting I noticed a small piece of the coating had released itself of the (monofilament) core. After another hour the coating was gone for most part on 5 ft of line, on a distance of about 20 yards form the front of the line. The remainder of the line showed no cracks or anything. The line has been sent back to the importer.
Now I am asking myself what could have happened. The distance of 20 yards is about the length of line out on my last back cast. The last front cast is done with a lot of power in order to reach a high line speed and thus more distance. Could it be so that due to the mass of the line in the air and the acceleration the line is being stretched? The core is monofilament (not braided as the Rio site mentions), which could perhaps stretch. If the coating does not stretch it could cause this kind of damage. If this would be true it will happen again with the next DC-line.
Anyone any clue? :confused:

jimS
01-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Burr or rough edge in your tip top, or possibly other guides? I have used Rio DC sink tips for several years without that problem.

Simms

TheSeph
01-12-2005, 01:16 PM
what was the air & water temperature?
Did the fly line ever endure a RAPID change in temperature.....e.g. in your heated car on the way to fish then once there very quickly spooled up and cast into very frigid water.

I have seen a few lines seperate in this manner for various reasons. They were strangely ALL mono nylon cores sinking and/or floating, but they did it throughout the fly line not in one specific location. I would think that you have a defected line. I do find it odd that ive only seen this on monocored lines though never with a braided dacron or a braided monofilament.

AdrianV
01-13-2005, 03:17 PM
I have checked all rings of the (new) TFO TiCrX and not one seems to have a burr.
There were no fast changes in temperature. The air temperature was something like 9 degrees Celsius and the water a bit warmer at 12-14 degrees.
Lines cracking I have had before, but as you say, over the complete line, not a relatively short length with all of the remaining line in perfect condition. Also that concerned older lines. It still leaves me puzzled.

t_richerzhagen
01-13-2005, 07:47 PM
has much more surface area for the coating to grab. Slick mono is bound to be harder to bond the coating to.

I think the stress of the cast may have something important to do with this too.