Saltwater Fly Swaps [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Saltwater Fly Swaps

striblue
01-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I am looking for volunteers to run a couple fly swaps.... two would be good... and the rules will be the same... 6 flies (plus one for the meister) and unlimited participants...easy entry and drop out..... theme swaps worls well... we have done, the go to fly, shrimp,, rtc.... seems like we never did a crab swap.... who wants the job...I will help out.

Dble Haul
01-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Only two swaps? What a lightweight. Check out the warmwater section.

:lildevl: :razz:

striblue
01-11-2005, 10:48 PM
You mean the "warm milk" section? :lildevl: :razz:

doogue
01-12-2005, 12:11 AM
John,

I'll sign on as meister. Lord knows I have been working too much. I need a good reason to get back into the fishing mindset.

I am open for any theme but I am always interested in a monster herring or other baitfish pattern. Any takers for a swap that asks for large profile monster flies like Sedotti Slammers, Buffies, grocery flies etc?

I say that we propose an end date of March 1st for the swap. If I get the flies by March 1st then I promise to get them out to you all within a week.

Thanks,

Mike

striblue
01-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Mike, thanks alot and you call the theme..the big fly is a great idea... I will help you and if you want to change the rules on the number, etc...that's your call... the 6 number is only based on the ease with which it can be run and not making it that difficult to get the flies and to make it easier on last minute drop outs or late arrivals....so let me know how I can help... When you want to begin just post up a sign up sheet on this forum and a reference to the sign up on the fly tying striper forum...leave it open for a while ..then begin. that's about it...

juro
01-12-2005, 03:54 AM
Sounds interesting... how many flies per entrant?

doogue
01-12-2005, 07:41 AM
I say that we stay with John's established rules.

Six flies per person is all it takes to be a part of this swap.

So this will be a swap for flies that mimic monster herring or other baitfish patterns. I will most likely tie a Sedotti Slammer but I may try a ridiculous Grocery Fly or some other pattern that you 2-Handed folks can toss out into the abyss.

If I don't get my flies done in time then I just might take some permanent markers to a tube sock and see if you can throw that 100 feet.

If you all send recipes and tying instrustions then I promise to put together a web page (posted here or elsewhere) that contains all of the patterns.

I am getting psyched to start tying again!

-Mike

grizz0707
01-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Count me in Mike. I will tie a bucktail deceiver in the Bob Popovics style. learned this pattern at a clave and it was a killer pattern for me this year at Sandy Hook,NJ.

Tod D
01-12-2005, 12:26 PM
John - far, far too much time at work these days, but I'd be happy to organize a 2nd swap. How about some surface flies (e.g., poppers, gurglers, sliders)?

Tod

striblue
01-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Great Tod, Thanks for volunteering... I think two swaps going on at the same time on one forum is the max...so if you want...go ahead with the initial post...I will help you and Mike out for checking things and keeping things going...surface flies would be a great compliment to the big flies that Mike wants to run.

Tod D
01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Will do John. Mike Doogue - I'll drop you a line to coordinate the separate swaps, then post a sign up for the Popper Extravaganza...

GregD
01-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm definately in on the big fly swap for Big fly ethusiasts or Atlantis owners. I certainly need to outfit my big fly aresonal for next season. I haven't tried gurglers or poppers yet and would like to try my hand at those too. Thanks Mike and Tod for doing the swaps. I'll be looking for the signup sheets if need be, But count me in.

Thanks,
Greg.

juro
01-16-2005, 04:31 PM
I have done more exploring in these two areas lately since going to the two-hander on the beach. I think I will have to participate in both!

Among the most bizzare things that happened was when I was too lazy to switch my line and put a huge popper on a sinking line. I used to mess around with small sliders on a sinker and that worked for me in the past, but we're talkin' banger on a fast sinking shooting head. The line had to work to pull the popper down, and suddenly I found myself hooked to the bottom but the bottom started to swirl and swim away! I was too shell shocked to get the hook set (hook configuration is very important with poppers) but it was a good lesson and basis for more experimentation in 2005.

Count me in on both.