Hancock MA Area [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hancock MA Area

FlyMan
01-10-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm going to be in the Hancock MA (Northwest corner of the state) in early February for a week and was wondering if anyone can recommend any possible winter flyfishing opportunities there?

Or even the name of a guide would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ralph

Quentin
01-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Ralph,
Hancock is right in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, I don't do much fishing in February so I'm not sure how much help I'll be.

Nearby rivers in MA include the Green River and Housatonic River, along with some smaller brooks. The Westfield and Deerfield Rivers are pretty close as well. I have no idea how accessable or fishable these places are in February.

I know there are a couple FFF members who fish the Deerfield and Westfield rivers. Maybe they will see this and respond, or you could try posting your question in the Trout forum:

The Quintessential Trout (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=16)

Good luck!

Q

sundown
01-10-2005, 06:47 PM
I live in Erving Mass. I have the Millers River in my backyard. But I dont do much fishing until spring time. Cranberry pond in Sunderland Mass is a nice place to ice fish, so is Lake Wyola in Shelborne Falls.

FlyMan
01-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the responses.

After looking on a map, the Green seems convenient.

Quentin, are there any particular locations on the Green that you might recommend, putting aside the time of year?

BigDave
01-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Flyman,

You might want to check out TU's Massachusetts Guide to Trout Fishing book. Lots of good info there.

IMHO your best bet in that part of the state is going to be the Deerfield if you can catch it at low flow (under 200 CFS) and safely get in there. The flow phone is 1.800.452.1742. You want the site code for Fife Brook Dam.

Good luck out there.

Quentin
01-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Ralph,
Sorry, I can't help much with locations. I've only fished the Green River a couple of times (during my pre-flyfishing days) and the place where I fished was posted "No Trespassing" the last time I went there. I'll send you a PM with some phone numbers for flyshops in the area (sort of :rolleyes: ). They might be able to provide more useful info than I can provide.

Q

JoeOverlock
09-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Feel free to contact me for info on fly fishing in Berkshire County.

Edited by admin