Name that... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Name that...

Penguin
01-09-2005, 12:37 PM
ARACHNID!

I found this guy in a shed and suspect that he may be "dangerous" (Blown Recluse?)...
There must be BUG "expert" out there who can help me ID this critter?!
Thanks...

Smcdermott
01-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Pete,

Terminix has a pretty good page on identifying pests. I would agree that it is a brown recluse based on the marking on the abdomen.

Sean

Quentin
01-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey Pete, are they good eatin'? :lildevl:

Q

Penguin
01-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I did my share of tastey/crunchy rice bugs in Thailand... :eek:
...texture is everything! Less philling...Tastes great!

Gimme' fresh dead bait ANYTIME! :wink:

juro
01-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Pete -

You got me curious so I looked it up. I am pretty sure that is not a brown recluse. The BR has a solid brown unmarked abdomen but is has a light colored thorax (segment where the legs join) with a distinct violin marking with the frets to the rear.

Nasty venom! Here is a picture of the effect AFTER TWO YEARS... :eek:

Really horrible picture of a bite wound after two years of healing (http://home.texoma.net/~linesden/bite2yr.jpg)

General information on this dangerous spider: HERE (http://home.texoma.net/~linesden/spider.htm)

Paxton
01-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Pete, I have no clue what it is, but I do know that John Morin can tie a replica to be placed on your nightstand :lildevl:
Ron

QuebecSporting
01-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Goodness.... that is not a pretty (whatever it is)..

However, I wouldn't mind having a few to try next season!!

An angler in search of a new backup fly!! :cool:

JimW
01-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Hey now this is a fly fishing board. Let's get back on track here. Like Ron said - Can you tie one?

striblue
01-09-2005, 09:19 PM
I am not sure, but I thought a Brown recluse was a very light brown and much "skinnier". Thought it was Black widow at first blush..but it is clearly not that.

Moonlight
01-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Looks like a fiddle back or Brown recluse which are the same thing.

removed_by_request
01-09-2005, 10:31 PM
totally harmless, don't let the fangs and dripping venom scare you, it's all a bluff.

i'd still smash him with a hammer, here is a pic of one.(brown recluse)

DEERHAAWK
01-10-2005, 12:11 AM
This likely is a variation of Latrodectus Variolus, or Northern Widow. This species is found from Southeastern Canada, throughout New England and south to Northern Florida. You will note the "Broken" hourglass patch on the abdomen common to this species in it's Northern realm.
Recluse Spiders, genus Loxosceles, are Sicariidae or "Six eyed" spiders. There are at least 56 species in the Americas, with 11 indigenous species in the United States.
The Brown Recluse is found in the Mid-West and parts of the South, specificaly Southern Wisconsin East to Ohio ans South to Florida and Texas. A "Violin" shape on any spider can not by itself identify the species, as many show variations of THIS mark.

The Bug Doctor

JimW
01-10-2005, 10:01 AM
One of my first real jobs as a youngster entering the work force was in the produce department of a supermarket. One day I was stocking bananas which usually meant hauling out 4-5 cases on a 2 wheeler and putting them up on the display as fast as humanly possible so the boss wouldn't get on your case. We all know bananas are imported from a climate conducive to the growth of very large bugs. One day I’m out stocking the shelves and the bananas were flying off the display, must have been a sale. So I’m busting my butt, open the box put ‘em on the shelf, open the box put ‘em on the shelf, open the box…. Holy $h!t – the was a spider the size of a mans hand on top of the bananas. I did not take any pictures to determine if it was an endangered species for I knew it was endangered as soon as I laid eyes on it. I covered the box, wheeled it out back and threw the whole box in the industrial compacter. The giant smoothie that oozed out of the machine did not make the boss very happy but I sure felt better. From that day on I was very careful with the bananas. The boss being the scholar that he was told me it was a banana spider. I still don’t know what the heck it was but isn’t it funny how these eight legged creatures create such an instance sense of danger.

Moonlight
01-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Interesting I did a Google and got several hits claiming that the Brown Recluse and the Fiddelback were thee same species.
I had a friend in SE Alaska who was close to having here arm amputated because she had been bitten by a Brown Recluse right in her own home. Maybe she ate Banana's!!!

Jimmy
01-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Don't care. I HATE spiders. :eek: :eek: :eek: When ever I here the cry " Daaaaaad! There's a spider in the house!!!!" I roll up a news paper, hand it to my wife, and send her off with a well intentioned " Go get 'em killer."

Adrian
01-10-2005, 01:01 PM
I've had lots of encounters with Banana spiders in the Bahamas - they love to hang out in the mangroves:

http://www.shadygrovetrainingcenter.com/Wildlife/bannana_spider_photo_gallery.htm

Their webs are pretty tough as I found out when I tried to break one with the tip of my 9wt :rolleyes:

AdrianV
01-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Still a great tie Pete. What hook did you use ?

striblue
01-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Ya!...That's right AdrianV...I suspected that he was holed up at the Phareside thinking of things like that... great tie Pete!..... What fish though.... Good crab fly I would think...You can't fool us! :lildevl:

DEERHAAWK
01-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Good evening,
Although the Brown R. has a nasty bite, most bites out of it's range are contributed to the Hobo Spider, which looks alot like the Brown R.

The Bug Doctor

JimW
01-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Pete,
Have you considered the fact that there might not be just one of those creeping around area 66? :lildevl:

Charlie
01-13-2005, 10:49 AM
I used to keep tropical fish. A spider like that used to go into the tank. The fish would have a ball with them. Seemed a bit cruel but I always thought “nature at its finest”. :devil:

Charlie

Penguin
01-13-2005, 12:03 PM
...with PARANOIA!!! :eek:

But...It's not paranoia if "THEY" really are trying to get me! :wink:

I found another little arachnid buddy in a drain screen in the basement...
Ultimately, the bugs will win in the end...but I'm going to make it difficult for them, in the mean time!

Should I mysteriously meet my demise...drop by Area 61 for some swell stuff!
FirstCome/FirstServe! :wink: